*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
He won the first round. Judges were wrong. That wasn't Aljo's round.
He could have done more to make it clear. Like get a takedown in the last minute. He's clearly the better fighter, but he got out played last night. Even if he won the first round, he didn't put up 9 points in the next round. Should have been a draw honestly.

Yan fought a stupid fight. As talented as Yan is combining the way he fought in this fight with the illegal knee last fight shows a pattern. The guy is a great fighter but something is a little off upstairs. That said he won that fight last night.

I think he won too, but it wasn't a robbery like some on here think, the number 1 rule for robberies is it can't really be close and this one was razor thin.

It is mind boggling to me that one of those Aljo rounds isn't 10-8. Literally completely dominated the round bell to bell. The definition of a 10-8 in my books.
Petr Yan outstruck Sterling in round 3 though. How is that "total domination"? Sterling didn't even have a near submission.

I had it 47-47. Yan got rounds 1,4 and five while sterling absolutely dominated the grappling in 2 and 3. One of those had to be a 10-8 which is why i had it a draw
It didn't have to be a 10-8

the 10-8 is iffy IMO but more plausible than giving Aljo round 1. He didn't win round 1. He ran the whole round and got his kicks to the body blocked. Yan was the one landing a few significant strikes, not Aljo.

I agree first round was definitely yans round. I had a lil money on sterling so was nice surprise sterling getting the nod lol. At best was a draw for aljo but yan clearly won three rounds

Yes,. Aljo stalled and ran the entire fight except when he got the takedowns. And even then he stalled

Never seen a fighter gifted a win after loosing the last two rounds never hurting or threatening his opponent once in the entire fight.
Well he def threatened him with chokes. Did u watch the fight?

That is how i saw it as well. It is either a draw or a win for Sterling. I scored it a draw

Petr Yan outstruck Sterling in round 3 though. How is that "total domination"? Sterling didn't even have a near submission.
I saw a complete domination of a round. I had no horse in the race. Don't like either fighter. Picked Yan to win. I thought it was absolutely a 10-8 round.

It is mind boggling to me that one of those Aljo rounds isn't 10-8. Literally completely dominated the round bell to bell. The definition of a 10-8 in my books.
10-8 are supposed to be given when you're so dominant you come really close to finishing the fight. aljo easily controlled him and made him look clueless, but nearing a finish? not really.

Yes,. Aljo stalled and ran the entire fight except when he got the takedowns. And even then he stalled

Never seen a fighter gifted a win after loosing the last two rounds never hurting or threatening his opponent once in the entire fight.
Your last point is irrelevant in the 5 rounds 10 points must scoring system. You can win rounds 1 to 3 and it doesn't matter if you lose 4 and 5.

So that's just gibberish.

Also, learn the difference between losing and loosing.

Sterling won the first round

Yan was struggling with his lateral movement and kicks

Did get land some nice punches but was outstruck in that round overall

Yan starting slow like he normally does costed him the fight this time

I think he won too, but it wasn't a robbery like some on here think, the number 1 rule for robberies is it can't really be close and this one was razor thin.
I wouldn't say robbery either. Aljo fought a very good fight. Yan fought a stupid fight. Round 1 to Yan. I would tell people to watch that round again. For me when i'm watching a fight for the first time I don't do it with scoring in mind. I'll watch fights or rounds again later to dissect them a bit (I love MMA/UFC). I don't see anything in that round to score for Aljo. Pretty easy round to score.

Dana agrees though he pretty much said in post fight presser yan should have won. Aljo gonna be danas new woodley lol

How much did you lose from Yan? I had it 1-3 Aljo with a 10-8 in round 2. A lot of people I know were too emotionally invested in seeing Aljo suffer that they give in to their biases. Aljo outstruck Yan round 1 with equal heavy strikes. He fought to his strengths and it served him well. Yan was winging shots because he drank the narrative that Aljo was a mediocre fighter. Yan needs to work on his fight IQ...

Last edited:
The fight was close, honestly, and Yan just had 50 minutes (well in theory lol) to try and knock him out. But grappling is in the rules, whereas knees on downed opponents isn't. I understand the frustration of having your back taken for 2 whole rounds. He was absolutely trapped and Aljo used his strength against Yan weakness. Overall I'm glad we moving on from this opposition, pretty shitty energy emanating from it. I'm sure both fighter's next fights will be way cooler to watch.

Well he def threatened him with chokes. Did u watch the fight?
I haven't watched the whole fight again. One of those rounds was borderline 10-8. I don't think it was off the top of my head but i'm going to watch the whole fight again with scoring in mind. Great fight, Aljo fought great. I thought Yan won and Yan won round 1. I'm looking forward to watching the fight again with my scorecard out.

10-8 are supposed to be given when you're so dominant you come really close to finishing the fight. aljo easily controlled him and made him look clueless, but nearing a finish? not really.
Yeah I dunno. I can't really comprehend giving Petr Yan the victory in this fight. I thought Aljo clearly performed better and one round looked very dominant to me.

Like I said, don't care for either guy, picked Yan to win. I think Aljo absolutely deserved that win.

I wouldn't say robbery either. Aljo fought a very good fight. Yan fought a stupid fight. Round 1 to Yan. I would tell people to watch that round again. For me when i'm watching a fight for the first time I don't do it with scoring in mind. I'll watch fights or rounds again later to dissect them a bit (I love MMA/UFC). I don't see anything in that round to score for Aljo. Pretty easy round to score.
I guess it really depends. Yan threw things with intent. I haven't rewatched the fight, but I remember Yan landing the more thudding kicks that made Aljo back off and his power jabs. A lot of Aljo's were mostly touching shots aside from a few kicks to the body and leg kicks that got checked by yan. I remember an elbow by Sterling but it grazed off of Yan for the most part. Lots of close title fights this year with Adesanya-Whitaker 2 and now this, and it's arguable that both challenger very well may have won.

How much did you lose from Yan? I had it 1-3 Aljo with a 10-8 in round 2. A lot of people I know were too emotionally invested in seeing Aljo suffer that they give in too their biases. Aljo outstruck Yan round 1 with equal heavy strikes. He fought to his strengths and it served him well. Yan was winging shots because he drank the narrative that Aljo was a mediocre fighter. Yan needs to work on his fight IQ...
I would encourage you to watch round 1 again. Now way was that Aljo's round. I want to watch round 2 again. Off the top of my head I didn't score it 10-8 but that was Aljo's best round and he dominated there. Yan is a great fighter but seems to do stupid things in there at times. I thought Yan won but it was close. Aljo brought it last night.

1,4 and 5 to Yan. 2 and 3 to Sterling with the second being a 10-8. I’m actually shocked not more people saw the fight like I did it was easy to score.

Back