*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
I would encourage you to watch round 1 again. Now way was that Aljo's round. I want to watch round 2 again. Off the top of my head I didn't score it 10-8 but that was Aljo's best round and he dominated there. Yan is a great fighter but seems to do stupid things in there at times. I thought Yan won but it was close. Aljo brought it last night.
I watched it. Aljo kept on his bike and kicked Yan while Yan was walking him down trying to load up and missing heavy shots. I have no horse in this race but I do not see this decision as a robbery and I'm happy that Aljo gave a better account of himself. This is what I expected for their first fight.

I understand that the 1st round is the main thing people argue about here.
I watched some of the strikes in slow motion, but there is always the angle, where you cannot see so clearly, so I might get something wrong

4:59 - Yan blocks a body kick
4:35 - Aljo - calf kick
4:20 - Aljo - weak calf kick
4:14 - Aljo - failed takedown
4:00 - Aljo - weak calf kick
3:47 - Yan blocks a body kick
3:36 - Yan blocks a body kick
3:31 - Aljo - head strike
3:10 - Yan blocks a body kick
3:06 - Aljo - body kick
2:35 - Yan - body kick
1:58 - Yan - weak leg kick
1:53 - Yan - head strike (and another weak one that hits Aljo in the shoulder)
1:43 - Yan blocks a body kick (quite a nice block)
(both throw several head strikes, all missed)
1:17 - Yan - head strike
1:15 - Yan blocks a body kick
0:52 - Yan - body strike
0:39 - Aljo - weak head elbow
0:34 - Yan - body kick
0:03 - Yan - powerful head strike
right after the bell: Aljo throws a body kick, Yan blocks it

Aljo
3 calf kicks (nothing special a la Adesanya or Gaethje)
1 head strike
1 body kick
1 elbow (not sure if this should count, but it connected)

Yan
3 head strikes
2 body kicks
1 leg kick
1 body strike (not sure if this should count, most likely not, but it connected)

Also, Yan had the more powerful strikes, in my opinion.

Weak round from both of them, not much action, nobody was rocked, Joe.

Last edited:
Cant believe im reading this ...

im calling the cops

0_EiVShkGXYAI0DHs.jpg

giphy.gif

Striking numbers and how they are counted is something I always get a feeling is inaccurate or manipulated, but I've never taken the time to really go through as you have to prove such. I just assume they count most everything that lands on the guard or is blocked/checked.

Striking numbers and how they are counted is something I always get a feeling is inaccurate or manipulated, but I've never taken the time to really go through as you have to prove such. I just assume they count most everything that lands on the guard or is blocked/checked.

First serious answer.
I have no idea how a (good) judge would score the fight correctly by only watching it live.
It's quite difficult... especially when you don't have a good angle to watch it.

The most impressive thing Sterling did in the first round is not spend the majority of it on his knees abusing the down opponent rule.

I would have to watch the round again, but I know that Aljo landed more than one clean body kick and he landed some crosses.

I would have to watch the round again, but I know that Aljo landed more than one clean body kick and he landed some straight crosses.

One straight cross - I counted it.
If there were others (or body kicks), please tell me the minute and the second and I'll re-watch it.
Thanks!

One straight cross - I counted it.
If there were others (or body kicks), please tell me the minute and the second and I'll re-watch it.
Thanks!

I'll check later but I remember like 2-4 body kicks landing from Aljo's rear leg on Yan's body and 1-3 crosses from his rear hand landing on Yan's head.

I felt that Yan won the fight, but I guess the judges were on that you got to beat the champ to be the champ for Aljo.

It was pretty close, but that last punch by Yan put him ahead. I gave Aljo a 10-8 in the 2nd for dominance and good GNP damage, so I scored it a draw.

Either way, Sterling deserved to leave the octagon with the belt.

Judges don't see fights as clear as people watching at home. A blocked strike is usually counted as a strike more often than not.

Blocked strikes should still count IMO. You can break an arm blocking a strike.

Back