the joe rogan reaction to the islam vs volk....is legendary

i thought volk won as well, but it was close enough where i can’t really say it was a “robbery.” i tell one thing tho, islam didn’t really make the case that he’s p4p #1. i think maybe it’s time for the rules to value defensive wrestling, especially if it values “control” without damage or sub attempts.

since “pound for pound” rankings are just a fantasy exercise and basically promotional tools anyway, ufc should have islam and volk share the #1 spot for now. both volk and islam can go back to dominate in their divisions, and maybe run it back in a year or 2. these fighters are both good enough that the question can only be settled by a finish.

Once Joe sobers up he'll say he rewatched and now thinks Islam won.

I get how, in retrospect, having Goldberg-Rogan commentating team was actually good to grow the sport for the TUF / SpikeTV crowd in 2005-2010. Goldberg was the casual fan play-by-play commentator who was excited for the stand-and-bang, Rogan was the opinionated color commentator who provided insight into the intricacies of ground maneuvres.
But as time went on and the sport grew into the mainstream, it was time to clean up the act and get an actual commentating team.

Replacing Goldberg with actual experienced professional commentators like Anik (and now Gooden and Fitzgerald) was a good first step. Now, the time has come to slowly phase out the Rogans / Bispings / DCs out of the booth, as they have shown time and time again that they're less focused on being a professional commentator (unbiased, well-researched, composed) and more focused on spouting hot takes and going on tangents.

Last edited:
I mean I have no horse in the race but Volk won 3 to 5 rounds easily

No idea how Islam walked away with that belt

Volk winning round 4? Tell me you've never trained a day in your life without telling me you've never trained.
I said 3 to five rounds.meaning he may have lost a round or two.

Tell me you don't know how to read without telling me you don't know how to read

Just came to say that Brian Callen guy seems to be the fakest guy I've ever heard. It's like we have no idea how he really is and he just plays a person he completely fabricated.

Volk won two rounds MAX. How do you find 4 rounds for Volk? Name the rounds
honestly you start by insulting me, now you're demanding I answer your questions? Yeah thanks but no thanks, learn some communication skills and then maybe I'll speak to you

honestly you start by insulting me, now you're demanding I answer your questions? Yeah thanks but no thanks, learn some communication skills and then maybe I'll speak to you
Dude, the way I read your post was way more reasonable than what you actually meant. Not even the most dishonest Volk fans would give Volk 4 or even 5 rounds.

I'm literally Australian had money on volk and really wanted him to win... 3 rounds to Islam EASILY. Not too sure what in the fuck people were watching lol
It's the body triangle round where Islam did nothing with it but just stall while Volk punched his face behind him. People still think control/stall is scored higher than damage when it isn't. Volk even in that stall position was the only one doing damage that round. I gave that round to Volk also but I knew the judges would mess it up since many aren't updated yet on damage > control and that the stall positions aren't rewarded anymore, they have to do something in those positions to cause damage or try and end the fight with a submission. Which didn't happen in that round, Volk did all the damage in that position.

Dude, the way I read your post was way more reasonable than what you actually meant. Not even the most dishonest Volk fans would give Volk 4 or even 5 rounds.
not a Volk fan, thought Islam would win, I saw volk dominate the fight , I believe that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it...don't worry my opinion isn't going to magically change the offical outcome..it's ok

Just came to say that Brian Callen guy seems to be the fakest guy I've ever heard. It's like we have no idea how he really is and he just plays a person he completely fabricated.

He’s just a Kid. He’ll figure it out eventually.

It's the body triangle round where Islam did nothing with it but just stall while Volk punched his face behind him. People still think control/stall is scored higher than damage when it isn't. Volk even in that stall position was the only one doing damage that round. I gave that round to Volk also but I knew the judges would mess it up since many aren't updated yet on damage > control and that the stall positions aren't rewarded anymore, they have to do something in those positions to cause damage or try and end the fight with a submission. Which didn't happen in that round, Volk did all the damage in that position.
You would have to score a bunch of fights differently looking at Aldo - Vera for example. Not sure why we are arguing this point when even Volk said he needed to get out of that position in the 4th. Would you rather have the back or have your back taken? Volk would have rather been in Islam's position than his own in the 4th, I can guarantee you that.

Back