The cost of greatness

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I saw a post on IG about Ronnie Coleman. For those of you who do not know, Ronnie Coleman is regarded as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time... probably right after Arnold.
UluHSsP.png

After years of abusing his body as well as some surgeries, Coleman can barely walk anymore.
3ceApeP.png

It is a sad sight to see! :(

Anyway, some people were saying he shouldn't have gone so hard back in the day. Of course it's the internet and people will always end up fighting. Some people clapped back at those saying Ronnie pushed himself too hard with:

"He was Mr. Olympia, what have you accomplished?!" :mad: and other such insults.

I don't think suggesting Ronnie overdid it an unfair point. Just like Ali would've probably had a normal remainder of his life if he didn't fight as long, but then again would his legacy be the same?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? These men's names will live and their legacy will last for generations! However, they paid the price in their later years. Unlike normal, every day people who do not suffer as much physically but live otherwise unremarkable lives.

If they had the option, would these folks take it back?

I even think of people like Tupac. If he didn't have this "Thug Life" persona, and ran up on those dudes in Vegas (among other things), he probably wouldn't have died so young. But then again, he probably wouldn't be the Tupac today who is on the Rapper Mt. Rushmore. Let's face it... if 'Pac didn't die a the tender age of 25, he wouldn't have the same legacy as he does today (in my opinion).

But I digress. Anyway what do you think. Is it worth it?

I think it's cool that people are willing to push themselves so hard that it puts their health at risk. It shows what is possible and also the consequences, so others can make informed decisions.

Has Ronnie ever said he regrets it? I bet he doesn't.

Anyway, some people were saying he shouldn't have gone so hard back in the day. Of course it's the internet and people will always end up fighting. Some people clapped back at those saying Ronnie pushed himself too hard with:

"He was Mr. Olympia, what have you accomplished?!" :mad: and other such insults.

I don't think suggesting Ronnie overdid it an unfair point. Just like Ali would've probably had a normal remainder of his life if he didn't fight as long, but then again would his legacy be the same?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? These men's names will live and their legacy will last for generations! However, they paid the price in their later years. Unlike normal, every day people who do not suffer as much physically but live otherwise unremarkable lives.

I even think of people like Tupac. If he didn't have this "Thug Life" persona, and ran up on those dudes in Vegas (among other things), he probably wouldn't have died so young. But then again, he probably wouldn't be the Tupac today who is on the Rapper Mt. Rushmore. Let's face it... if 'Pac didn't die a the tender age of 25, he wouldn't have the same legacy as he does today (in my opinion).

troy-brad-pitt.gif

I think it's cool that people are willing to push themselves so hard that it puts their health at risk. It shows what is possible and also the consequences, so others can make informed decisions.

Has Ronnie ever said he regrets it? I bet he doesn't.

I was going to say, all that matters is how Ronnie Coleman feels about it.

Did he say least make enough money so that his family and future generations of his family won't have to struggle?

I mean it's not something I would have ever wanted to do but to each their own. If he's happy with his life and how he lived it then that's that.

I saw a post on IG about Ronnie Coleman. For those of you who do not know, Ronnie Coleman is regarded as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time... probably right after Arnold.
UluHSsP.png

After years of abusing his body as well as some surgeries, Coleman can barely walk anymore.
3ceApeP.png

It is a sad sight to see! :(

I met him. He's my favorite only 2nd to Arnie. For the record I train. I am not bodybuilding.

Coleman is rekt. The poor guy needed aids to stand up. If you watch JRE appearance he says if he had to do it over HE WOULD LIFT EVEN MORE WEIGHT. <Lmaoo>

He's a prime example of what greatness costs.
EVERYTHING
ITS something modern women have no concept of but want to date greatness. Coupled with the proclivity of breaking their own home <Moves> It's mot a good time.

Mma fighter Chuck and Fitch both went through gross divorces.

Elon Musk, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, etc come to.mind with respect to greatness. Coleman was great and he paid quite a price. It's why Phil Heath uses machines and not lift as heavy.

light-weight.gif

Gangster shit.

His particular injuries aren't part and parcel of the sport though. He continuously went against the advice that doctors and professionals gave him, and many of his most serious injuries came after his 8x Mr Olympia wins. He continued lifting massive weights after his peak, continued the cycles, refuse to take the 6 months off he was supposed to after each surgery. His entire neck and spine is fused - it's one solid piece. The attitude he has towards his body and his safety is completely insane.

I believe what is commonly refereed to as greatness, while not requiring sacrifice, certainly tends to coincide with it to a high degree. Greatness would seem to stem from, if not in all, then in most case what would be a maniac obsession to achieve something. Of course if this obsession would lead one to something adversarial towards one's health, then it would be so that one's health would have to give.

As for Coleman, he certainly wouldn't have needed to train with those crazy Texans to be 8-times Mr Olympia or whatever (I forget), but those videos stemming from those sessions are an absolutely integral part of the fame he achieved; without them Coleman truly wouldn't be the Coleman we know. So here lies a distinction between his achievements as a bodybuilder and his public fame. Which sort of brings us to the question of what greatness really is at any rate, and I believe achievement contra fame do tend towards the essence.

Ronnie said he was sub 0% body fat by show days. Absolutely unreal.

He's the best. Add to that also a loveable guy. But pain is real.

“So you guy’s still wanna be like me, you still want to have the same work ethic is I had. Well as you can see I’m 8 X Mr Olympia and I can’t walk. I endured an 11 hour major back surgery last Tuesday. Do I have any regrets?, if I had a chance to do it all over again would I change anything? Yes if I had a chance to do it all over again I would change one thing. That is when I squatted that 800lbs I would do 4 reps instead of 2, that is my only regret in my career. Those 2 reps I did still haunts me today because I know I had 4 in me but the coward in me only did 2. That is my only regret.”

Ronnie Coleman is the fucking man.

Justin Gaethje in 10 years is a sight I am truly afraid to behold

Back