Alex Pereira vs Ciryl Gane: Who wins?

Interesting fight… Alex I would say might be more well rounded at this point (constant training with Glover), but size makes a difference at this level. I’d probably pick Gane, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Gane has that same face again again that he had after Jones choked him out, but with his eyes closed this time.

How much does Alex weigh in for this fantasy fight ? 240 with the same body fat % ?

Alex is a better striker. Gane is bigger.

How much does Alex weigh in for this fantasy fight ? 240 with the same body fat % ?

Alex is a better striker. Gane is bigger.
240? no chance dude.

He's about ~225 at LHW carrying a slight amount more body fat than MW. He's not finding 15 pounds of pure muscle out of nowhere.

Ciryl weighted in last fight at 250 lean. That's 25 pounds of pure muscle he has an Poatan. They both have poor technique with grappling, you bet your ass that 25 pounds of muscle is going to be the difference in clinch and wrestling exchanges.

240? no chance dude.

He's about ~225 at LHW carrying a slight amount more body fat than MW. He's not finding 15 pounds of pure muscle out of nowhere.

Ciryl weighted in last fight at 250 lean. That's 25 pounds of pure muscle he has an Poatan. They both have poor technique with grappling, you bet your ass that 25 pounds of muscle is going to be the difference in clinch and wrestling exchanges.

Cyril is huge. He is the good kind of 250. Long and wide framed. He's phisically a perfect HW. Not bulky or fat.

Apparently Alex P is gigantic for any weight class he’s in and wouldn’t be surprised if he looked like a good sized HW if he ever decides to go there.

Ciryl Gane is a good striker for HW, but that is a heavy asterisk. Being a good striker at HW is not that much of an accomplishment. He has a good jab and a good body kick, and that’s about it. His footwork is sloppy, his overhand punch looks like he’s drawing a rainbow, and his flurry’s against hurt opponents look like he’s imitating Donkey Kong.
He is, however, gigantic and very athletic for HW. I’ll give him that.

Alex P on the other hand is one of the best strikers in the UFC and Glory. His power transfers up weight classes, even with 10oz kickboxing gloves. Enough said. Not sure if he’d be big enough though.

Who would win?

I'm a huge fan of Pereira, but Gane would snap his body in half with those body kicks

cyril-gane-tai-tuivasa.gif

giphy.gif

Honestly it's why I wish he'd taking training more seriously, with his frame/athleticism the sky is honestly the limit with him.

Yeah he seems to be way behind in grappling and not excited about it. If he loved it and focused many hours on it he could be a threat there too. Maybe it's also cause it's a different kind of tired and talent.

Gane would clip alex worse than izzy did lol

Gane would starch him.

Pieira with his hands low against a dude with better reach and big power is not bueno for him.

This fight won't even be close. Gane can win this fight however he wants and this is coming from someone who constantly predicted that Jon Jones will win the striking battle with Gane. Gane even at heavyweight is quicker.

I have always pointed out that Gane has to rely on accumulation to finish his opponents because his hands are not quick enough to throw combinations in the pocket. Fortunately for him, Pereira can't either. Pereira is a very limited striker who has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. The moment he is on his back foot, his striking threat diminishes significantly.

People hate to admit this but Jan outstruck him in head shots and I am convinced that had that fight taken place somewhere else, Jan would have finished him.

Cyril is huge. He is the good kind of 250. Long and wide framed. He's phisically a perfect HW. Not bulky or fat.
That's one thing we can't take away from him, he's quite the specimen.

To answer the OP : Gane doesn't really get into much trouble against strikers. He looks like he doesn't do that much damage, then by the end of R2 the opponents want to change job, then Gane ends the fight like a clumsy puppy eager to get his treat (really, he can be patient and cold all fight long, but what a mess he is when he knows he's won lol).

Then again, he doesn’t have much competition in the striking department at HW, that's really not what Ciryl's problem is lol. Maybe against an actual striker (or, should I say, a striker that isn't exclusively a power puncher), he would have more trouble.

A lot of short sighted comments here. I would pick Gane to win but not because Adesanya managed to KO Pereira. He did so by shelling up against the fence and then countering with several very quick overhand rights landing on the temple. Gane wouldn't be able to pull that off nor would he need to. There are weight classes for a reason.

Back