News Grizzly kills 2 people in Banff

I don't know if anything would save you, if a grizz has you in it's sights. Even hunters say it's game over if they charge you from even 100 yards away, as the chances of bringing it down before it get to you, are very slim.
When I camp in Grizzly country . I bring spray , an AR 15 (for smaller predators) and a Dersert Eagle in case of Grizzly. Only issue is I need to be within 25 ft to hit anything with that hand cannon . Hope I never need to test it but I seriously don't a Griz keeps rushing after bei g hit with a .50 cal. Never ran into a Grizz tho Black and Brown bears but never an actual Grizz . Closet I ever came was I think I saw one about 200 yards down stream but it ran off when I used a banger. Dunno. Still doubt a Grizzly keep rushing g you after beibg hit with .50 cal. I could get likely 2 shots off at 25 ft. Pretty sure I could hit the head at least once. Bear isn't winning that battle.

Or accept that there is an infinitesimal chance something like this can happen , this is a story for a reason , it's very rare

I'm a hiker , I know and accept the risks , we are in their backyard when were out there .
That's a stupid way of approaching it. Hey it's bear territory so if he wants a snack I will get eaten no biggie. If you are not allowed to prepare for a possible attack it's a fucked up government and anyone still going there well has a screw loose especially in autumn when they get ready for hibernation. A death by bear can be fast but it can also be a very slow very agonizing way to go.

I dived with big sharks but never would I do that without being prepared. It's a huge difference.Can it still happen yes but it's much much less likely to succeed. But if you prefer being easy prey hey go for it.

I don't know for bears but deaths by sharks via international shark database only show a small fraction of real numbers for a variety of reasons.

That's a stupid way of approaching it. Hey it's bear territory so if he wants a snack I will get eaten no biggie. If you are not allowed to prepare for a possible attack it's a fucked up government and anyone still going there well has a screw loose especially in autumn when they get ready for hibernation. A death by bear can be fast but it can also be a very slow very agonizing way to go.

I dived with big sharks but never would I do that without being prepared. It's a huge difference.Can it still happen yes but it's much much less likely to succeed. But if you prefer being easy prey hey go for it.

I don't know for bears but deaths by sharks via international shark database only show a small fraction of real numbers for a variety of reasons.
It's the logical way of approaching it

When I camp in Grizzly country . I bring spray , an AR 15 (for smaller predators) and a Dersert Eagle in case of Grizzly. Only issue is I need to be within 25 ft to hit anything with that hand cannon . Hope I never need to test it but I seriously don't a Griz keeps rushing after bei g hit with a .50 cal. Never ran into a Grizz tho Black and Brown bears but never an actual Grizz . Closet I ever came was I think I saw one about 200 yards down stream but it ran off when I used a banger. Dunno. Still doubt a Grizzly keep rushing g you after beibg hit with .50 cal. I could get likely 2 shots off at 25 ft. Pretty sure I could hit the head at least once. Bear isn't winning that battle.

Pulling off a head shot at a charging grizzly with a hand gun(of that caliber, no less) seems like quite the tall task. A shotgun would seem to be the better option, if it came down to it. From what I've heard, though, your chances of survival are very slim either way, if a grizz wants to eat your ass and is closing in.

It's the logical way of approaching it
So its "logical" to approach a part of nature with deadly predators in it without any equipment to defend yourself because "its rare". Okay <Lmaoo>

Frietz Dieck, a trapper living in Canada for decades even had a friggin wolverine trying to kill him. Glady he could blast him. I guess you would have sacrificed yourself gladly because well nature.

I recommend you go hiking in Kongo next , beautiful animals and landscape or swimming in northern australian rivers.

5.56 wouldn't down a Grizzly?

Pulling off a head shot at a charging grizzly with a hand gun(of that caliber, no less) seems like quite the tall task. A shotgun would seem to be the better option, if it came down to it. From what I've heard, though, your chances of survival are very slim either way, if a grizz wants to eat your ass and is closing in.
Whether head shot or center mass I like my chances better than the Grizzlly with a 50 Cal in my hand

A Shot gun wouldn't do shit thsn make ot more pissed unless it was a Slug.

Now if we're talking an Elephant or a Hippo charging ummmmmm I dunno lol might need a Bazooka.. but fairly confident a DE 50 cal would stop a grizzly.

Last edited:
I don't know if anything would save you, if a grizz has you in it's sights. Even hunters say it's game over if they charge you from even 100 yards away, as the chances of bringing it down before it get to you, are very slim.
You can bring it down. But it might get right back up

Whether head shot or center mass I like my chances better than the Grizzlly with a 50 Cal in my hand

A Shot gun wouldn't do shit thsn make ot more pissed unless it was a Slug.

Now if we're talking an Elephant or a Hippo charging ummmmmm I dunno lol might need a Bazooka.. but fairly confident a DE 50 cal would stop a grizzly.
Shotgun. Buckshot in my last video.

The guy lived, but it was just a double barrel and he aimed for its side so he had to fuck off Inside as it got back up lol

If he had pump action with the standard 5 rounds and shot to kill, that bear was dead.

Don't go for head shots with a grizzly. You go for lungs and shoulder shots. A even a .50 is just going to bounce off its fucking skull at range if you nail it bullseye.

Granted I've only shot black bears personally, but I've read enough about grizzly hunting to know the concept of a guy trying to bullet tooth tony a fucking grizzly is a bad idea. Just about every answer I have ever seen on hunting forums for "which handgun is best for a grizzly?" Ended with at least 3 people saying "pick any handgun you like mate. But make sure to file the front sight down smooth so it doesn't hurt as much when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your ass"

You think you can hit a charging Grizzly in the head at 25 feet with a Desert Eagle? I’ve been an outdoorsman my entire life, logged 1000’s of hours hunting from Montana to New Mexico, not to mention back country camping and fishing. With all this experience I am confident that you’d be lucky to even hit a charging Grizzly, let alone stop it mid charge with a head shot. With a Desert Eagle I’d highly doubt you’d even get the second shot off before the Bear runs right through you.

A charging Grizzly will cover 25 feet in about three strides, maybe maybe giving you at most 1 second to land a ridicules head shot. And forget about the follow up, the recoil alone takes that option away.

You think you can hit a charging Grizzly in the head at 25 feet with a Desert Eagle? I’ve been an outdoorsman my entire life, logged 1000’s of hours hunting from Montana to New Mexico, not to mention back country camping and fishing. With all this experience I am confident that you’d be lucky to even hit a charging Grizzly, let alone stop it mid charge with a head shot. With a Desert Eagle I’d highly doubt you’d even get the second shot off before the Bear runs right through you.

A charging Grizzly will cover 25 feet in about three strides, maybe maybe giving you at most 1 second to land a ridicules head shot. And forget about the follow up, the recoil alone takes that option away.
If I had my gun out already yeah I could. Maybe not a between the eyes head shot but in a vital Area I like my chances. Granted I wa raised on guns and been shooting all kinds since I was little kid. Am I a Chris Kyle "crack shot" absolutley not but I am pretty good at hitting what I aim at and have 45 years of gun experience. Maybe the bear gets me but I like my chances more than Bears. Unless of course it was Cocaine Bear then I'm fucked.

Toughest part would be being able to get out of way after I shot. Maybe not 2 shots and maybe just 25 feet isn't enough but I think I got a better chsnce thsn not. I said 25 feet as that's about as far as I trust my accuracy with that thing.

Last edited:

I dunno man. God's chosen caliber is one hell of a round and glocks are made to mag dump

Black bears yeah. I've seen plenty of black bears. There are apparently only 60 grizzlies in Banff national park. Never seen one of those.

We actually saw a mama grizzly and her cubs at Lake Minnewanka in July 2021. We were pretty far away and kept our distance but some idiot tourists were trying to get closer to get a picture. They’re lucky they didn’t end up in Yogi’s picnic basket.

What most people don’t understand about Grizzly attacks is they generally occur when you surprise the animal. Most of the time the person will round a turn in the trail and BAM you unwillingly spook the bear about 10 yards away. The Bear is alarmed and charges instantly, giving you no time to reach for a gun or spray.

I went on a fishing trip in Montana a few years back. Spent a week camping and fishing on the Flathead River outside Glacier Ntl Park in September. I did my research and spoke with an Elk guide before hand, and he suggested I carry a .45-70 for a camp rifle and a .357 mag for a side arm.

So that’s what I kept in my kayak, and on my hip. I never saw a Grizzly, but I know I was in presence of them. The dead fall, and trees were so thick there was way to see them, only tracks in the mud at the edge of the river.

If I had my gun out already yeah I could. Maybe not a between the eyes head shot but in a vital Area I like my chances. Granted I wa raised on guns and been shooting all kinds since I was little kid. Am I a Chris Kyle "crack shot" absolutley not but I am pretty good at hitting what I aim at and have 45 years of gun experience. Maybe the bear gets me but I like my chances more than Bears. Unless of course it was Cocaine Bear then I'm fucked.

Toughest part would be being able to get out of way after I shot. Maybe not 2 shots and maybe just 25 feet isn't enough but I think I got a better chsnce thsn not. I said 25 feet as that's about as far as I trust my accuracy with that thing.

Man I’m not gonna argue with you, but if you can hit a charging bear’s bouncing head with a Desert Eagle within 1 second during a tremendously tense experience. You sir are Rambo.

Not even making a joke. Chris Kyle, Rambo, John Wick ain’t got shit on you.

Seriously man, hitting a target moving at speeds you’ve never experienced in 2 seconds is next to impossible.

Exactly.
Mag dump the G20 into the fucker as it’s charging, It might still catch me, but probably won’t have much of an appetite after eating 15 rds of hp 10mm.

Did they even manage to put a few rounds on the bear? Cant blame the bear, hes hungry and its they/them house.

I
You would prefer a 5.56 over a 50 cal to stop a Grizzly? Not me

You may want to consider a 357 with a "6in barrel. There are some heavy bear loads available in this caliber. The weight and length of the barrel softens the recoil to almost being non existent, which means your follow up shot is right there when you need it. Revolver always go bang as well. That de jams and you will for sure experience what a bear is capable of doing to a human being.

Predatory bears are great at ambushing. Even non predatory bears who simply stumble across you by surprise will give you little time to grab your piece and fire off accurately enough.

Ive read about accounts where multiple hunters were ambushed and brutally hurt by the time a single shot was fired off. Grizzlies are fast. Also, the shock in the midst of an attack is usually enough to fuck with most peoples nerves and reflexes.

Grizzlies have also been known to take multiple shots but still stampede at you, driven by adrenaline. They would probably bleed out and die, but not before inflicting some serious damage on you first.

These are truly scary beasts if they wanna be.

Back