Francis Ngannou Still Plans to Compete in Boxing, MMA Going Forward

Will Ngannou be the first (major) MMA and Boxing Double Champ?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-29_15-47-56.png

By pushing Tyson Fury to the limit, Francis Ngannou may have opened the door to a whole new world on Saturday night.

While Ngannou lost a split decision to the man regarded as the best heavyweight on the planet, many observers believed “The Predator” deserved to get the nod on the scorecards. With that in mind, Ngannou would seemingly have plenty of options for future fights in the Sweet Science, where paydays often exceed those offered in mixed martial arts. For now at least, Ngannou still plans on being a double-threat in combat sports.

“I can do both. Nothing can stop me from doing both,” Ngannou said in a post-fight interview with ESPN. “If I have the skill for both of them, why not? As for right now, I have a deal with PFL, and I’m intending to fight MMA again. I still love it. I might do some MMA fight, but I’m still going to do boxing. I never intend to just step over and do one fight and go out. That wasn’t the plan at all, never. The plan is still the same.”

As far as a timetable for his next bout, Ngannou is still targeting early next year. While that was once expected to be his PFL debut, he isn’t ruling out another boxing match, either.

“I’m really going to fight sometime in February or March. Maybe in the cage or in the ring, but I’m going to fight,” he said. “I basically have both, and we are working on what’s going to work better.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/F...to-Compete-in-Boxing-MMA-Going-Forward-191547

I think getting a full boxing title might ultimately prove to be beyond him as everyone is going to be taking him serious as fuck from now on, but I don't want that to sound like I'm trying to detract from what he did on Saturday.

I think getting a full boxing title might ultimately prove to be beyond him as everyone is going to be taking him serious as fuck from now on, but I don't want that to sound like I'm trying to detract from what he did on Saturday.

Ya hes 37 and boxing is a shit show

He's better off winning another belt in MMA then going for another money fight against someone like Wilder or AJ then retire

View attachment 1009201

By pushing Tyson Fury to the limit, Francis Ngannou may have opened the door to a whole new world on Saturday night.

While Ngannou lost a split decision to the man regarded as the best heavyweight on the planet, many observers believed “The Predator” deserved to get the nod on the scorecards. With that in mind, Ngannou would seemingly have plenty of options for future fights in the Sweet Science, where paydays often exceed those offered in mixed martial arts. For now at least, Ngannou still plans on being a double-threat in combat sports.

“I can do both. Nothing can stop me from doing both,” Ngannou said in a post-fight interview with ESPN. “If I have the skill for both of them, why not? As for right now, I have a deal with PFL, and I’m intending to fight MMA again. I still love it. I might do some MMA fight, but I’m still going to do boxing. I never intend to just step over and do one fight and go out. That wasn’t the plan at all, never. The plan is still the same.”

As far as a timetable for his next bout, Ngannou is still targeting early next year. While that was once expected to be his PFL debut, he isn’t ruling out another boxing match, either.

“I’m really going to fight sometime in February or March. Maybe in the cage or in the ring, but I’m going to fight,” he said. “I basically have both, and we are working on what’s going to work better.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/F...to-Compete-in-Boxing-MMA-Going-Forward-191547

Ngannou is gonna make that Anderson Silva money in MMA and that Mayweather money in boxing. He's gonna be rich like an African king!

75168047-0-image-m-116_1694093804305.jpg

Ya hes 37 and boxing is a shit show

He's better off winning another belt in MMA then going for another money fight against someone like Wilder or AJ then retire

tbh if I'm him I'm taking the money. I think we all thought he'd only get one big boxing payday before returning to MMA but if he can get two (maybe even three as there could be a market for a Fury rematch even if his next fight doesn't go well) then he should take them.

Francis proved he belongs at top levels in boxing or MMA, his choice.

I don't think he will win a legitimate belt in boxing, but I can't really doubt him anymore, either. He can just continue adding to the legend.

Do you even know how shitty HW boxing is currently? Ngannou could easily win a world "title" in boxing lmao that doesn't even mean anything

I think Usyk and Fury are not currently the most difficult matchups at HW and both winnable (not easy) fights for him.

At this point, Zhang, Bakole, Wardley look more dangerous.

I think Wilder cracks his chin and Ruiz beats him as well, otherwise there’s nothing but good matchups for him in boxing. I have no clue who he’d even fight in the PFL, Werdum maybe?

Maybe I am wrong but just from an injury perspective, it would seem like that an MMA fight has the most potential to re-injure his knee.
I don't see why he would want to touch another MMA fight. Boxing only = no chance of getting oblique kicked in that leg, no possible attempts at leg locks, etc...

I think Wilder cracks his chin and Ruiz beats him as well, otherwise there’s nothing but good matchups for him in boxing. I have no clue who he’d even fight in the PFL, Werdum maybe?
Wilder can crack anyone, for sure. But Francis can crack him. Fury did.
Ruiz is short and can't eat that power. Francis could pull a Fury and lay on him forever, sapping that energy.
Anyway, I'm excited and hope for a quick turnaround.

Do you even know how shitty HW boxing is currently? Ngannou could easily win a world "title" in boxing lmao that doesn't even mean anything

Current champs are Fury and Usyk. I think if he was going to beat Fury this was the time and it's hard to see him beating Usyk. Maybe he could get a belt outside the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO but they're not really world titles.

Current champs are Fury and Usyk. I think if he was going to beat Fury this was the time and it's hard to see him beating Usyk. Maybe he could get a belt outside the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO but they're not really world titles.

Francis arguably just beat Fury but you think he can't beat Usyk a cruiserweight who had to be saved by the ref from a body shot his last fight lol. You clearly don't watch anything but regional low level MMA

Last edited:
Back