Social For the first time in 20 years, more than half of Americans have a gun in their home

@BFoe I'm pretty sure we've been through this before but the SCOTUS used common use in a ruling long before DC v Heller.

Laughing... That's not what it’s like at all in my part of the country and I was born and raised in urban areas. What you called "Paranoid" we called "Prepared". And I never once seen American Flags on both sides of someone's truck and thought it was strange in fact Patriotism is something that makes me proud when I see it. Going out to a police chiefs house to protest is just stupid as protesting is in general in 2023. Some people are born Poor, Some are born Rich, Some people are born Smart the others are Protesters.
I can confirm that for a city person, the American flag thing is weird AF. I grew up in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area. We’d display an American flag on the 4th of July, Veterans Day, Memorial Day…

These days I live in a tiny town in the Midwest, and motherfuckers here not only fly flags year-round, many have full size flagpoles in their front yards. I’m taking 15-20 foot high, thick-ass metal flagpoles. Super fucking weird to me. One fucker has something like 15 small American flags on stakes in the ground surrounding his years, as well as a full size flagpole which has an American flag as well as a yellow “Don’t Tread On Me” flag. Several have full size flagpoles with Truno flags and American flags—with the American flag flying underneath the Trump flag of course. :rolleyes:

@BFoe I find it dishonest you are in possession of illegal property you have no right to own that you apparently refuse to forfeit to the federal government.
Reported Bro

I can confirm that for a city person, the American flag thing is weird AF. I grew up in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area. We’d display an American flag on the 4th of July, Veterans Day, Memorial Day…

These days I live in a tiny town in the Midwest, and motherfuckers here not only fly flags year-round, many have full size flagpoles in their front yards. I’m taking 15-20 foot high, thick-ass metal flagpoles. Super fucking weird to me. One fucker has something like 15 small American flags on stakes in the ground surrounding his years, as well as a full size flagpole which has an American flag as well as a yellow “Don’t Tread On Me” flag. Several have full size flagpoles with Truno flags and American flags—with the American flag flying underneath the Trump flag of course. :rolleyes:
Nothing weird at all about it as I see it as just a sign of Patriotism and love for ones country even though it feels were more flawed then ever before. And kudos to that fucker with the 15 small American flags displayed proudly. I have a beautiful flag proudly flying outside on my deck and a awesome 1776 custom wood flag inside my home. My neighbor who just moved next to me from ATL and happens to be a brother flies the American flag as well as a Trump flag. Its all good..

If the second amendment actually started in 2010 as you indicate we sure did have a lot of civilians with guns prior to that date. Weird we didn’t try to disarm the southern states after they attempted to succeed from the union. You know in a country without a second amendment until 2010.
I think you’re misunderstanding me, I said the 2A wasn’t incorporated to the states until 2010, which is true. Do you understand what I mean by that?

The Bill of Rights originally only restrained the federal government—not the state government. Example: if you look at the 1st Amendment, it begins “Congress shall make no law…” It doesn’t say shit about state governments.

When the 14th Amendment was ratified, it incorporated many amendments to the states, usually by way of its Due Process Clause or Privileges and Immunities Clause. So for example, the 6th Amendment guaranteed you the right to an attorney in a federal case. The 14th Amendment incorporated that such that you are also entitled to an attorney in state court cases. Some amendments are incorporated fully, some are incorporated partially, and some aren’t incorporated at all.

The 2A was never incorporated until 2010, and I argue that the SCOTUS was gravely wrong to do so.

I personally can't think of anybody I know that doesn't have one

Not only that but most people I know carry . It's this weird thing where our normal and someone like @HomeCheese normal dont intersect at all and there is no way to find any sort of common ground. I see guns every day and they dont really make me uncomfortable at all. I'm happy to be around people that are ready to rock should the need ever arise and it makes me feel safer.

I personally can't think of anybody I know that doesn't have one

Not only that but most people I know carry . It's this weird thing where our normal and someone like @HomeCheese normal dont intersect at all and there is no way to find any sort of common ground. I see guns every day and they dont really make me uncomfortable at all. I'm happy to be around people that are ready to rock should the need ever arise and it makes me feel safer.

Where do you guys live? More rural? Maybe both in a certain area of the country? I definitely agree that what seems normal to some is not normal to all - just depends where you live.

I live in an urban area in a restrictive state - my parents and family who lived here never owned guns before me. I am the first one in my immediate family that still lives here and owns.

I have cousins and uncles in florida and texas that own them, but that is in a totally different part of the country and more normal for them.

@BFoe I'm pretty sure we've been through this before but the SCOTUS used common use in a ruling long before DC v Heller.
I am not sure if we’ve been through that specifically before or not, tbh. Which case are you referring to?

The whole “common use weapons“ thing, and they way they defined it, is only one of my issues with Heller btw.
Nothing weird at all about it as I see it as just a sign of Patriotism and love for ones country even though it feels were more flawed then ever before. And kudos to that fucker with the 15 small American flags displayed proudly. I have a beautiful flag proudly flying outside on my deck and an awesome 1776 custom wood flag inside my home. My neighbor who just moved next to me from ATL and happens to be a brother flies the American flag as well as a Trump flag. Its all good..
Cultural difference, I guess. My gf is from the Midwest and was sort of surprised I found it so odd. Without getting into our opinions of Trump, I will mention that I think flying a flag which gives allegiance to a person or leader rather than a country or Constitution, is very un-American. I don’t remember liberals ever flying Obama flags, but if anyone did I’d think that shit is creepy too.
They make me uncomfortable to a degree, because I don’t know anything about the person carrying it. Like I said earlier, I’m all for hunting, shooting for sport, or defending the safety of yourself or family. But as an example, awhile back my gf went for a job interview somewhere, and the dude interviewing her walked into the room open carrying. She went through with the interview (did not accept the job), but I sure AF wouldn’t have. I’d have ended the interview right there, and told them why I was ending it. No way in hell am I working at a place where some Yosemite Sam Yeehaw Motherfucker walks around with a gun on his hip. Nope.

Where do you guys live? More rural? Maybe both in a certain area of the country? I definitely agree that what seems normal to some is not normal to all - just depends where you live.

I live in an urban area in a restrictive state - my parents and family who lived here never owned guns before me. I am the first one in my immediate family that still lives here and owns.

I have cousins and uncles in florida and texas that own them, but that is in a totally different part of the country and more normal for them.

I live in metro Detroit I hang with rednecks and I work in a super pro gun environment

And for all of you guys complaining about the firearms-related death stats in the US . . . remove suicides and things even out a bit more. Suicide accounts for over half of the deaths.
Yeah, but is that really a +1 for gun ownership? I'd wager half of those people would still be alive, if they didn't have access to a life/death light switch, and actually had think about launching themselves into oblivion a bit more. People get emotional over all sorts of things that could send them into a temporary suicidal mindset, like getting fired or dumped, and without guns giving them that instantaneous option, it would blow over for a lot of them.

I am not sure if we’ve been through that specifically before or not, tbh. Which case are you referring to?

The whole “common use weapons“ thing, and they way they defined it, is only one of my issues with Heller btw.

Cultural difference, I guess. My gf is from the Midwest and was sort of surprised I found it so odd. Without getting into our opinions of Trump, I will mention that I think flying a flag which gives allegiance to a person or leader rather than a country or Constitution, is very un-American. I don’t remember liberals ever flying Obama flags, but if anyone did I’d think that shit is creepy too.

They make me uncomfortable to a degree, because I don’t know anything about the person carrying it. Like I said earlier, I’m all for hunting, shooting for sport, or defending the safety of yourself or family. But as an example, awhile back my gf went for a job interview somewhere, and the dude interviewing her walked into the room open carrying. She went through with the interview (did not accept the job), but I sure AF wouldn’t have. I’d have ended the interview right there, and told them why I was ending it. No way in hell am I working at a place where some Yosemite Sam Yeehaw Motherfucker walks around with a gun on his hip. Nope.

I'd like that and probably be super comfortable especially if I had mine on me. I'd say whatcha got there buddy and talk about it. The presence of a gun doesn't automatically make me uncomfortable or upset at all. Specially if the dude who's carrying it isn't acting weird at all. A gun friendly environment is my preferred environment. When I tell people what I'm packing it's always a fun conversation

Yeah, but is that really a +1 for gun ownership? I'd wager half of those people would still be alive, if they didn't have access to a life/death light switch, and actually had think about launching themselves into oblivion a bit more. People get emotional over all sorts of things that could send them into a temporary suicidal mindset, like getting fired or dumped, and without guns giving them that instantaneous option, it would blow over for a lot of them.
Maybe, maybe not. Japan has a higher suicide rate than we do and most people there can't even legally own a paintball gun.

I'd like that and probably be super comfortable especially if I had mine on me. I'd say whatcha got there buddy and talk about it. The presence of a gun doesn't automatically make me uncomfortable or upset at all. Specially if the dude who's carrying it isn't acting weird at all. A gun friendly environment is my preferred environment. When I tell people what I'm packing it's always a fun conversation
Yep, seeing someone carrying a holstered handgun in public shouldn't be a big deal. As opposed to some goof who just tucks it into their waistband.

Maybe, maybe not. Japan has a higher suicide rate than we do and most people there can't even legally own a paintball gun.
That's more shame culture on their end, I'd say. When you think about it, suicide is really baked in over there, as some deranged form of honor.

Sadly, you can not legally possess a firearm and cannabis at the same time even if you live in one of the 24 states where recreational cannabis was legalized. I think it is an automatic felony.

I have limited sympathy for those that prioritize getting high over protecting their family and country.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. People make stupid, emotional decisions every day. I'm not really interested in that data being used to tell me how I'm supposed to act or to try and further restrict what firearms I can own.

But as an example, awhile back my gf went for a job interview somewhere, and the dude interviewing her walked into the room open carrying. She went through with the interview (did not accept the job), but I sure AF wouldn’t have. I’d have ended the interview right there, and told them why I was ending it. No way in hell am I working at a place where some Yosemite Sam Yeehaw Motherfucker walks around with a gun on his hip. Nope.
You'd be more comfortable in an office building without any physical security (other than a locked door here and there) where the first line of "defense" is an unarmed 60+ year-old receptionist?

I worked in a building leased to a federal agency that dealt with the public. They'd sometimes get mad at people and cause an issue. Armed security would've been a nice bonus, but instead it was up to 4 or 5 of us to deescalate things where we had not clue if the person decided to ignore the "no weapons allowed" signs and carry something inside the building anyway.

Yep, seeing someone carrying a holstered handgun in public shouldn't be a big deal. As opposed to some goof who just tucks it into their waistband.

Exactly. I live in a country where people have that right. I carry everywhere and I believe in that so why would someone else being a fan of the same right upset me at all.

Back