Social For the first time in 20 years, more than half of Americans have a gun in their home

They make me uncomfortable to a degree, because I don’t know anything about the person carrying it. Like I said earlier, I’m all for hunting, shooting for sport, or defending the safety of yourself or family. But as an example, awhile back my gf went for a job interview somewhere, and the dude interviewing her walked into the room open carrying. She went through with the interview (did not accept the job), but I sure AF wouldn’t have. I’d have ended the interview right there, and told them why I was ending it. No way in hell am I working at a place where some Yosemite Sam Yeehaw Motherfucker walks around with a gun on his hip. Nope.
I guess I can see it as a cultural difference and one I don't understand considering were all Americans and should be proud to display our flag. You definitely wouldn't want to work where I work if working in a place where firearms makes you uneasy considering in the office I'm working in out of 10 people at least 4 have guns in their desks not counting me and ones a female co-worker....But I never even think about it.

I'd like that and probably be super comfortable especially if I had mine on me. I'd say whatcha got there buddy and talk about it. The presence of a gun doesn't automatically make me uncomfortable or upset at all. Specially if the dude who's carrying it isn't acting weird at all. A gun friendly environment is my preferred environment. When I tell people what I'm packing it's always a fun conversation
Haha I can respect that, but its a big ol Nope for me.

Haha I can respect that, but its a big ol Nope for me.
Do you live in the US? Because if so there's a decent chance at least one person around you is carrying every single time you're out in public. You just don't see it.

I have limited sympathy for those that prioritize getting high over protecting their family and country.
OK. Let's unpack that. Is there a good reason why they should not be able to do both (own a firearm and get high)?

If they should be able to do both, then a reasonable person should sympathize.

You'd be more comfortable in an office building without any physical security (other than a locked door here and there) where the first line of "defense" is an unarmed 60+ year-old receptionist?

I worked in a building leased to a federal agency that dealt with the public. They'd sometimes get mad at people and cause an issue. Armed security would've been a nice bonus, but instead it was up to 4 or 5 of us to deescalate things where we had not clue if the person decided to ignore the "no weapons allowed" signs and carry something inside the building anyway.
I’m fine with it, I work in an office exactly like that. Now granted, we don’t have outside customers coming in on the daily. Occasionally we’ll have a potential client come in. We basically design spaces and solutions in the educational field, so a client to us would be perhaps another vendor, but often school principals, teachers, superintendent, and so forth.

We did once have a disgruntled employee (dude had recently been fired) hanging around outside and we locked down. I had a very real thought that the shit might go down, and that I could find myself in an active shooter situation. Luckily that did not happen. But I’ll tell you—even in that moment, I didn’t find myself wishing I had a gun, I wasn't a gun owner at the time and I’m still not, and I have no plans to be. You are welcome to think I am a moron if you want :)
Guns just aren’t something I want in my life and I’m fine not owning one. Obviously with the way some things in this country are going, I might change my mind on that in the future. I really hope not though.
Do you live in the US? Because if so there's a decent chance at least one person around you is carrying every single time you're out in public. You just don't see it.
Oh I’m in the Midwest, so I’m almost certain that’s the case. <45>

Yeah, but is that really a +1 for gun ownership? I'd wager half of those people would still be alive, if they didn't have access to a life/death light switch, and actually had think about launching themselves into oblivion a bit more. People get emotional over all sorts of things that could send them into a temporary suicidal mindset, like getting fired or dumped, and without guns giving them that instantaneous option, it would blow over for a lot of them.
Positive? no. But it shouldn't be held against responsible gun owners either.

If they aren't hurting anyone else and only themselves, it shouldn't be used in data to prevent people from being able to access them. The vast majority of people are not and will never be suicidal. In the US, I think only something like 2-3% of total deaths are by suicide.

The issue is that gun controlls like to lump in suicides with homicides as if they're the same thing.

I like to play a little game with my wife when we are out and about called who do you think is packing. Sometimes it's super obvious but I'm aware there is always one I don't suspect at all likely has something crazy on them. Like a pink haired girl with a .454 in her purse. I do operate on an assume everyone is armed as well as I am or better rule. Like if you see the Gadsden flag the Michigan mitten holding a gun and any kind of come and take it on a dudes truck that dude for sure has one.

I like to play a little game with my wife when we are out and about called who do you think is packing. Sometimes it's super obvious but I'm aware there is always one I don't suspect at all likely has something crazy on them. Like a pink haired girl with a .454 in her purse. I do operate on an assume everyone is armed as well as I am or better rule. Like if you see the Gadsden flag the Michigan mitten holding a gun and any kind of come and take it on a dudes truck that dude for sure has one.
It's supposed to be a felony to carry concealed without a permit in Michigan. Heavy emphasis on supposed to.

It's supposed to be a felony to carry concealed without a permit in Michigan. Heavy emphasis on supposed to.

Oh I meant legally of course. Though I'm sure there are several who pretend they are but aren't and another sub set of those thar don't think the govt has the right to even issue a permit due to the constitution already granting them that right.

I guess I can see it as a cultural difference and one I don't understand considering were all Americans and should be proud to display our flag. You definitely wouldn't want to work where I work if working in a place where firearms makes you uneasy considering in the office I'm working in out of 10 people at least 4 have guns in their desks not counting me and ones a female co-worker....But I never even think about it.
It’s not so much displaying a flag, it’s the full size flagpoles in people’s yards that strike me as so strange. Where I grew up, you’d only see that at a school, courthouse, government building, etc.

And no, I wouldn’t be down with working in an office where a bunch of people are carrying.

I’m fine with it, I work in an office exactly like that. Now granted, we don’t have outside customers coming in on the daily. Occasionally we’ll have a potential client come in. We basically design spaces and solutions in the educational field, so a client to us would be perhaps another vendor, but often school principals, teachers, superintendent, and so forth.

We did once have a disgruntled employee (dude had recently been fired) hanging around outside and we locked down. I had a very real thought that the shit might go down, and that I could find myself in an active shooter situation. Luckily that did not happen. But I’ll tell you—even in that moment, I didn’t find myself wishing I had a gun, I wasn't a gun owner at the time and I’m still not, and I have no plans to be. You are welcome to think I am a moron if you want :)
Guns just aren’t something I want in my life and I’m fine not owning one. Obviously with the way some things in this country are going, I might change my mind on that in the future. I really hope not though.
Working in a government building for 26 years of my career (I have been remote since late 2021) has skewed my stance on what type of security buildings should have. Disgruntled patients aren't too happy when they come in and their situation doesn't get fixed or a bill doesn't get dealt with, etc.

In a situation like you described we would've locked down too, but all of our internal doors have windows so it's really pointless. We'd be sitting ducks until Federal Protective Services showed up.

Folks are free to not want to own a gun all they want. Just don't try to apply that to those of us who do. ;)

Live in TX, Majority of the population owns guns out here. Own 2 myself.

Over 50% of gun-related deaths are characterized as a suicide.
And the other large majority of deaths from firearms are in Urban areas by Urban Gentleman with "Illegal" firearms.....Bunch of 12 year old punks running around shooting stolen Glocks sideways with switches.

And the other large majority of deaths from firearms are in Urban areas by Urban Gentleman with "Illegal" firearms.....Bunch of 12 year old punks running around shooting stolen Glocks sideways with switches.
Definitely seems to be a trend.

Working in a government building for 26 years of my career (I have been remote since late 2021) has skewed my stance on what type of security buildings should have. Disgruntled patients aren't too happy when they come in and their situation doesn't get fixed or a bill doesn't get dealt with, etc.

In a situation like you described we would've locked down too, but all of our internal doors have windows so it's really pointless. We'd be sitting ducks until Federal Protective Services showed up.

Folks are free to not want to own a gun all they want. Just don't try to apply that to those of us who do. ;)
Hey now, I don’t have any issue with most people owning guns. :)

I think we differ on what regulations the state should be able to impose as far as what types of guns, where and how they can be stored or carried, etc.

There are some interesting cases coming up— the one about people possessing firearms while under a restraining order, and wasn’t there one challenging the legality of requiring a gun safety course in order to get a permit?

It's not uncommon to see open carry where I live and work. I'm fine with it. I have customers come in all the time open carry. I have had gun conversations with some of them on what they are carrying. I carry most all the time (cc) but seeing a gun doesn't bother me at all. It is a mostly rural area with a very small city.

Back