In April fast-food workers in Cali will get $20 an hour

99% of most Americans from BOTH sides of your political system are cool people but wow your nation would be scary to live in.
It's scary if you're "normal"

If you're atypical and neurodivergent like me, It's just a lifetime of existential horror.

Thought this headline was interesting, simply because just one pizza chain has over 1,200 delivery drivers in just 3 counties. So much pizza lol

I am curious 6 months down the road if those 1200 drivers are still laid off. I mean you still have to deliver pizzas. The demand has not decreased so you either lose even more money and ruin your business or you pay the wage.
Capitalism is a beautiful thing because if there is money to be made someone with business savvy will fill the role PIzza Slut abandoned if there are frog hides to be made.

This is a classic brainlet take from rightists. For some reason you guys always seem to think that because some people are getting more, it automatically must come at the expense of yourself or another social class.

WTF do the wages of fast food workers have to do with the wages of electricians or other skilled workers? Those wage markets have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

Most skilled tradesman are making high 5 figures (80k, 90k) to 6 figures, some are even millionaires.

Is the suggestion here that fast food workers making $20 an hour is going to result in skilled trades making less? How the hell does that happen/work? What exactly is your point here?

"you realize this will all come full circle right?"

No I don't. What is "full circle?" What is the point that you are even making here?

The wages have a lot to do with each other. Especially jobs that require skills that have wages in the $20 range.

According to zip recruiter, the average construction job in CA pays $22/hr.

Why would someone work construction when they could just take orders at Wendy's for $20/hr? There's almost no thought or physicality involved so it's a no brainer for a lot of people to take a mild pay cut for a much easier job.

Now construction jobs will be forced to pay more to retain employees because most people aren't going to willingly do a more difficult job for roughly the same pay. This in turn causes housing and rent to go up and is basically a cascade effect....which lands minimum wage employees back where they started and everyone else loses money through inflation.

The wages have a lot to do with each other. Especially jobs that require skills that have wages in the $20 range.

According to zip recruiter, the average construction job in CA pays $22/hr.

Why would someone work construction when they could just take orders at Wendy's for $20/hr? There's almost no thought or physicality involved so it's a no brainer for a lot of people to take a mild pay cut for a much easier job.

Now construction jobs will be forced to pay more to retain employees because most people aren't going to willingly do a more difficult job for roughly the same pay. This in turn causes housing and rent to go up and is basically a cascade effect....which lands minimum wage employees back where they started and everyone else loses money through inflation.
That's a nice goal post shift. The other guy was talking about skilled tradesman. Now you're talking about general construction laborers.

The wages of skilled tradesman and fast food workers have nothing to do with each other.

Why do you hate the working class so much?

This in turn causes housing and rent to go up and is basically a cascade effect..
hahahahaha ooooo really dude? Do you have any data to support this or is this just a fee fee you're pulling out of your ass? Housing prices going up is primarily driven by 2 things: a lack of new construction thanks to pre-existing homeowners being cunts as a social class and wanting to protect their home values, and billions of dollars of investment capital pouring into the residential real estate market. Housing prices going up is not from workers being paid more.

Do you ever care to research anything at all or is it all just vibes and feels for you???

That's a nice goal post shift. The other guy was talking about skilled tradesman. Now you're talking about general construction laborers.

The wages of skilled tradesman and fast food workers have nothing to do with each other.

Why do you hate the working class so much?

hahahahaha ooooo really dude? Do you have any data to support this or is this just a fee fee you're pulling out of your ass? Housing prices going up is primarily driven by 2 things: a lack of new construction thanks to pre-existing homeowners being cunts as a social class and wanting to protect their home values, and billions of dollars of investment capital pouring into the residential real estate market. Housing prices going up is not from workers being paid more.

Do you ever care to research anything at all or is it all just vibes and feels for you???

How is it a goal post shift? I'm not the other guy and I gave an example of what can happen when wages are artificially raised for low skilled workers. Why are you so emotional about this? I didn't create capitalism and I don't run the economy. Place your blame on someone else. I'm just pointing out shit that happens.

Your paragraph there really shows me where your head is at. You know that more than one thing can be correct, right? The fact that you're blaming pre existing home owners (ordinary people) for the housing issues goes to show that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Take a step back and think more than one step ahead here. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Every action is going to affect something else. You don't just artificially raise wages and have all the unskilled workers magically be in a better place now. The market will adjust to it and they'll be back where they were in the first place. If burger flipping landed you a good life, we would all be flipping burgers.

How is it a goal post shift? I'm not the other guy and I gave an example of what can happen when wages are artificially raised for low skilled workers. Why are you so emotional about this? I didn't create capitalism and I don't run the economy. Place your blame on someone else. I'm just pointing out shit that happens.
I already explained how it was a goal post shift. Let me type it out again - the other guy was talking about skilled trades. Now you're forming an argument in response to my response to him, but you've swapped out skilled trades with general construction workers. That's a goal post shift. Yes, there is a relationship between the wages of unskilled laborers and fast food workers. There is no relationship between the wages of a journeyman welder, and a pizza delivery driver.
Your paragraph there really shows me where your head is at. You know that more than one thing can be correct, right? The fact that you're blaming pre existing home owners (ordinary people) for the housing issues goes to show that you have no idea what you're talking about.
The fact that you think pre-existing home owners are not to blame shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Extreme lack of supply is a primary reason why housing is so expensive. The extreme lack of supply is largely due to pre-existing homeowners organizing at a local level to shut down and deny any new construction. Maybe you should look into it buddy, its widely documented behavior.
Take a step back and think more than one step ahead here. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Every action is going to affect something else. You don't just artificially raise wages and have all the unskilled workers magically be in a better place now. The market will adjust to it and they'll be back where they were in the first place. If burger flipping landed you a good life, we would all be flipping burgers.
This is the same capitalist boot licking propaganda that capitalists and their boot lickers have said each and every time workers got more.

Every single time there has been progress and advancements for workers, there is a good little boot licker like you that runs out to run the same old tired bullshit

"minimum wage?! we will go out of business!!"
"children can't work in the factories anymore?! this will kill our business!!"
"40 hour work week?! this will kill our business!!"

It's a tale as old as time. And it makes sense from the capitalists perspective. They're just acting in their own class and self-interest.

What I do not understand is groveling peasants like yourself going to bat for and defending the capitalists.

I already explained how it was a goal post shift. Let me type it out again - the other guy was talking about skilled trades. Now you're forming an argument in response to my response to him, but you've swapped out skilled trades with general construction workers. That's a goal post shift. Yes, there is a relationship between the wages of unskilled laborers and fast food workers. There is no relationship between the wages of journeyman welder, and a pizza delivery driver.

The fact that you think pre-existing home owners are not to blame shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Extreme lack of supply is a primary reason why housing is so expensive. The extreme lack of supply is largely due to pre-existing homeowners organizing at a local level to shut down and deny any new construction. Maybe you should look into it buddy, its widely documented behavior.

This is the same capitalist boot licking propaganda that capitalists and their boot lickers have said each and every time workers got more.

Every single time there has been progress and advancements for workers, there is a good little boot licker like you that runs out to run the same old tired bullshit

"minimum wage?! we will go out of business!!"
"children can't work in the factories anymore?! this will kill our business!!"
"40 hour work week?! this will kill our business!!"

It's a tale as old as time. And it makes sense from the capitalists perspective. They're just acting in their own class and self-interest.

What I do not understand is groveling peasants like yourself going to bat for and defending the capitalists.

It's my own argument. It's not a goal post shift. I made a point and it stands. If that upsets you, I'm sorry. Why are you so upset over how capitalism works?

Billion dollar corporations buying up homes is a much bigger problem than local home owners getting together and not wanting a low income apartment complex put in next to their neighborhood so people can come over and start breaking into their cars and homes. Now you'll have the added cost of labor PLUS the extra demand due to this large raise that will be driving housing up even further.

I can't take you seriously when you use terms like "boot licker". I'm not advocating for anything. I'm just telling you what happens when decisions like this are made. If that makes you upset, take it up with capitalism itself. Don't take it up with me. I don't root for rich people to get richer.

Minimum wage workers will never live the American dream in a capitalistic society. It's practically impossible. Human behavior already shows that business owners, home owners and anyone with a leg up on other people aren't just going to be nice and earn less money themselves to help out the people who have it harder than them. That's not me rooting for that behavior, that's just how the world works. As soon as those workers get their raise to $20, other people are going to capitalize on that.

You can kick and scream all you want but that's just how capitalism works.

It's my own argument. It's not a goal post shift. I made a point and it stands. If that upsets you, I'm sorry. Why are you so upset over how capitalism works?

Billion dollar corporations buying up homes is a much bigger problem than local home owners getting together and not wanting a low income apartment complex put in next to their neighborhood so people can come over and start breaking into their cars and homes. Now you'll have the added cost of labor PLUS the extra demand due to this large raise that will be driving housing up even further.

I can't take you seriously when you use terms like "boot licker". I'm not advocating for anything. I'm just telling you what happens when decisions like this are made. If that makes you upset, take it up with capitalism itself. Don't take it up with me. I don't root for rich people to get richer.

Minimum wage workers will never live the American dream in a capitalistic society. It's practically impossible. Human behavior already shows that business owners, home owners and anyone with a leg up on other people aren't just going to be nice and earn less money themselves to help out the people who have it harder than them. That's not me rooting for that behavior, that's just how the world works. As soon as those workers get their raise to $20, other people are going to capitalize on that.

You can kick and scream all you want but that's just how capitalism works.
source: I made it up bro

I am curious 6 months down the road if those 1200 drivers are still laid off. I mean you still have to deliver pizzas. The demand has not decreased so you either lose even more money and ruin your business or you pay the wage.
Capitalism is a beautiful thing because if there is money to be made someone with business savvy will fill the role PIzza Slut abandoned if there are frog hides to be made.

a solution for them could be to hire illegals and pay them lesser wages under the table. There is no shortage if migrants in the state

Fast food workers should get an adult job if they want more money. Flipping burgers is a childs job…

Comments like these are why I’ve always known deep down that Americans would absolutely hate it if we brought jobs back from China. People just want to pay less for things.

Fast food workers should get an adult job if they want more money. Flipping burgers is a childs job…
Who flips burgers during the day while school is in session or are you suggesting we make some kids skip school to do child’s work?

Yes, some do that. Others cover shifts after school.
But don’t you think children are better off in school focusing on their education? I don’t want my daughter doing some awful job that distracts her from her grades and extracurricular activities. These places are also usually open 24/7. We really want children staying up 3 to 4 in the morning?

Anyone of you Americans who can afford to move to Europe or Australia/NZ should.
People aren’t struggling there too? I thought it was a worldwide issue. American healthcare is the main thing I have an issue with, it costs me more than my mortgage. Absurd

This is a classic brainlet take from rightists. For some reason you guys always seem to think that because some people are getting more, it automatically must come at the expense of yourself or another social class.

WTF do the wages of fast food workers have to do with the wages of electricians or other skilled workers? Those wage markets have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

Most skilled tradesman are making high 5 figures (80k, 90k) to 6 figures, some are even millionaires.

Is the suggestion here that fast food workers making $20 an hour is going to result in skilled trades making less? How the hell does that happen/work? What exactly is your point here?

"you realize this will all come full circle right?"

No I don't. What is "full circle?" What is the point that you are even making here?

Yeah... what could go wrong paying no skilled labor $20/hr

lol at the 8 piece chicken for $45...

a solution for them could be to hire illegals and pay them lesser wages under the table. There is no shortage if migrants in the state
Lol, like a major Pizza chain would hire an illegal with no drivers license to deliver pizza. Maybe to make pizza's but not drive.
When I delivered pizza in college many moons ago, even then you needed valid insurance and they checked your Drivers license. My old roommate could not deliver pizza because of a DUI. That was for a local college town Pizza chain, not even one of the big ones like Domino's or Pizza Hut.
They would be paying Rudy/Fox lawsuit money if some illegal with no DL killed someone in an accident.
Illegals at least in my area work construction, restaurants, landscaping, cleaning and/or farm/Meat/poultry jobs.

Back