We need more champions like DJ

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He had no interest in moving up in weight, wanted to keep racking up title defenses and set records. That's what I prefer. The GSP, Silva, Jones, Aldo, DJ era. A champ champ fight should be a very special event between two dominant champions. Nowadays fighters are planning these champ champ fights before even getting the title. The UFC caving to Conor's ambitions ruined mma. We've got Champs with a single title defense who aren't even considered the best fighter in the division talking about fighting for another title. It's not a superfight if everyone is doing it. It's not a superfight if the champion hasn't cleaned out their bdivision.

I totally agree with everything you said. Champions are supposed to defend their belt many many many times and have lots of title defenses. These days they only just win the belt and then want a so called "superfight" with zero title defenses. Its ridiculous. How is it even a superfight when they don't have a title defense or maybe 1 defense lol .

UFC need to clamp down on this now, they opened a can of worms with allowing it and now every time a fighter has barely got going they want this champ vs champ superfight.

Guys like Jones, GSP, DJ, Anderson, Hughes and others actually defended their belts and were champions

He had no interest in moving up in weight, wanted to keep racking up title defenses and set records. That's what I prefer. The GSP, Silva, Jones, Aldo, DJ era. A champ champ fight should be a very special event between two dominant champions. Nowadays fighters are planning these champ champ fights before even getting the title. The UFC caving to Conor's ambitions ruined mma. We've got Champs with a single title defense who aren't even considered the best fighter in the division talking about fighting for another title. It's not a superfight if everyone is doing it. It's not a superfight if the champion hasn't cleaned out their bdivision.
Totally agree, Sir.

1704407846019.png

Concur.

What Conor did, winning one Champion fight at FW, then one at LW, then vacating and losing forever after is nothing.

Even my own preferred fighter at this point, Alex Pereira, kinda did the same thing.
(Except Pereira lost the second match with Adesanya — and vacated only because Adesanya refused to fight a rubber match.)

At least Pereira is prepared to defend his current LHW title, and unlike Conor, I think Pereira would be willing to go back down to MW and win a second title there again.

While rumors are circling that Pereira may go for the HW title, I don't think that's a good thing to do.

All this said, I think the most impressive thing any fighter can do, historically, is defend their belt (at their best weight), achieving a record number of title defenses.

Didnt he asked for 1 million to fight TJ??...he tried, no one did care, he caused trouble to fight TJ at 125, Cejudo had no problem.

Concur.

What Conor did, winning one Champion fight at FW, then one at LW, then vacating and losing forever after is nothing.

Even my own preferred fighter at this point, Alex Pereira, kinda did the same thing.
(Except Pereira lost the second match with Adesanya — and vacated only because Adesanya refused to fight a rubber match.)

At least Pereira is prepared to defend his current LHW title, and unlike Conor, I think Pereira would be willing to go back down to MW and win a second title there again.

While rumors are circling that Pereira may go for the HW title, I don't think that's a good thing to do.

All this said, I think the most impressive thing any fighter can do, historically, is defend their belt (at their best weight), achieving a record number of title defenses.
Pereira at least moved divisions and beat a top contender there before fighting for a title. He did it the right way, he's not one of these guys who are ducking contenders and calling for a title fight a weight class up.

Didnt he asked for 1 million to fight TJ??...he tried, no one did care, he caused trouble to fight TJ at 125, Cejudo had no problem.
The UFC wanted to make that fight, not DJ. He was like "Alright I'll do it, but only if you show me the money." The champs of today are begging for it. Its pathetic.

The UFC wanted to make that fight, not DJ. He was like "Alright I'll do it, but only if you show me the money." The champs of today are begging for it. Its pathetic.
He aske for money to do it, and refused at 125, he didnt do exactly better than the others.

I miss the days of champs like DJ, Anderson, GSP.
Say what you will about Izzy, but he also fought everyone they put in front of him and fought often.
True, if you set the puppy jerks aside he's literally the only champ that fought as often as the old dogs use too.

Ok, jokes aside, I do respect the hell outta Izzy for fighting so often in his own division, not the puppy jerking part though. 😁

Last edited:
Back