We need more champions like DJ

Yep. To challenge the champ above you should at least have 4-5 defenses. Should be a written rule.
Yeah, I think they need to put in some rule like this, because its just getting beyond ridiculous now. I heard DDP saying that after he beats Strickland and wins the belt he will do a LHW superfight and become double champ. Its past cringe at this point. UFC needs to do something, but it was also their fault in the first place for allowing this to get out of hand.

DJ was a not an exemplary champion. I don’t blame him for passing on belts in other divisions, but ducking credentialed guys from other divisions coming to fight at FLW and opting to fight the Chris Cariossos and Ray Borgs of the UFC was a terrible look.

Yeah, I think they need to put in some rule like this, because its just getting beyond ridiculous now. I heard DDP saying that after he beats Strickland and wins the belt he will do a LHW superfight and become double champ. Its past cringe at this point. UFC needs to do something, but it was also their fault in the first place for allowing this to get out of hand.
I just looked and they have a thread about Sean O'Malley wanting to fight Topuria if Topuria wins, like seriously wtf?

I really wouldn't mind that fight though, just because I'd love to see O'Malley get seriously decapitated and imho he seriously would. Lol

I'm glad DJ is able to have this online resurgence and respect, he's always deserved it. MM didn't fit the mold as their UFC All Access marketing system allowed for. He's a funny dude, has his pulse on the streaming content stuff, and he seems happy now. If you have not watched his Rodtang fight, you have to. It is an absolute must. One of the best stand up muay thai fighters ever for that weight class in the modern era, going against the MMA goat of that weight class in a hybrid mixed rules fight. Amazing barn burner, riveting, a real page turner, and all that jazz. Amazing stuff. WAR MIGHTY MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *QUEUE GUILE THEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the utmost respect for and have him in my top 5 when it comes to GOAT talks… that being said I genuinely believe if he thought he could move up and win a title at 135 he would have given it another go at some point.

Specifically after the Tim Elliot fight when they had to to a reality show because he’d so thoroughly cleaned out the division… please don’t flame me for this

True, if you set the puppy jerks aside he's literally the only champ that fought as often as the old dogs.

Seriously , I do respect the hell outta him for that.
Same, I’m about the furthest from an Adesanya fan as you can get. But I’ve got nothing but respect for his schedule. He walked the walk when most champs cherry pick and hunt rematches.

DJ was a not an exemplary champion. I don’t blame him for passing on belts in other divisions, but ducking credentialed guys from other divisions coming to fight at FLW and opting to fight the Chris Cariossos and Ray Borgs of the UFC was a terrible look.
What "credentialed guys from other divisions"?

Some champions need BJs!

Fact.

Schedule wise, absolutely. Active and whomever they put in front of him. Sold fights and could do the promotional side well .

Out of the cage? Can’t stand the guy at all and hate his personality.
His ass was boring inside the cage. He did get in there though. Hespect

I generally agree with the premise of this thread: I prefer that champ vs. champ fights should be reserved for special (and rare) circumstances.

But what threads like this miss is the fact that champions don't call their own shots. The UFC decides whom they defend their belts against, even when the champ campaigns for something different. Blaming the fighters misses the point that the UFC actually WANTS money fights. The UFC didn't "cave" into Conor's desire for a second belt; that's silly. The UFC wanted the big money fights from Conor, which they immediately got in both Nate fights and the Eddie fight.

Schedule wise, absolutely. Active and whomever they put in front of him. Sold fights and could do the promotional side well .

Out of the cage? Can’t stand the guy at all and hate his personality.
yeah but when grading what a champion should be like this is irrelevent.

I just mean in terms of how they conduct UFC bussiness.

Like I like aldo as a person, but he's a terrible model for a champion, pulling out of half his fights.

I agree, long consecutive title defenses is by far the hardest thing a fighter can do in this sport, and that is what separates legendary fighters from simply "good" fighters in the P4P Goat list

Yeah, DJ is a treasure. Tbh henhas a status I think that is second to no one as a student and master of martial arts. Absolute legend thst lives and breathes it. Similar to Valentina I guess.

He had no interest in moving up in weight, wanted to keep racking up title defenses and set records. That's what I prefer. The GSP, Silva, Jones, Aldo, DJ era. A champ champ fight should be a very special event between two dominant champions. Nowadays fighters are planning these champ champ fights before even getting the title. The UFC caving to Conor's ambitions ruined mma. We've got Champs with a single title defense who aren't even considered the best fighter in the division talking about fighting for another title. It's not a superfight if everyone is doing it. It's not a superfight if the champion hasn't cleaned out their bdivision.

What is this narrative, no interest in moving up?

His first 9 fights were at 135, he got his ass owned by Cruz and immediately ran to 125.

He went to 125 because he couldn’t cut it at 135, stop making it out like it’s some honor kind of thing.

What is this revisionist take?

I agree, long consecutive title defenses is by far the hardest thing a fighter can do in this sport, and that is what separates legendary fighters from simply "good" fighters in the P4P Goat list

You realize DJ ran from 135 after he got owned by Cruz.

Long title defenses were clearly easier for DJ at 125 than capturing the 135 title since he failed and immediately dropped weight to have success.

Pereira at least moved divisions and beat a top contender there before fighting for a title. He did it the right way, he's not one of these guys who are ducking contenders and calling for a title fight a weight class up.

As I said above, I am a fan, and agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back