DJ had more title defences than all current Champions COMBINED

With his 11 straight title defences, Demetrious Johnson once again has more defences than all the current 12 champions who only have 10 between them(7 male, 3 female)

I wonder how they look back at releasing him after a split decision loss to Cejudo.

I know I'll get shit for it but he should be in any GOAT conversation and clearly takes out Best&Fairest.

I miss him., clearly the Apex of MMA the sport, just sucks he could never land the WWE component.

*While creating this thread pointed at that in 2016 i made the same statement.

yet he gets omitted from every talking heads top 5 list. he's an undoubtable top 5 goat.

Any top 5 list without mighty mouse on it goes straight to the trash.

"'When I fought Joseph Benavidez I was still on that 20/20 [contract],” he said. “When I fought John Dodson, I made 23/23. When I fought John Moraga, it was 26/26. Then when I fought Joseph Benavidez again, I think it was 30/30.'

Johnson said he then finally got a champion’s contract, $125,000 to show and $50,000 to win – but he was still denied pay-per-view points."

ONE FC offered him $750,000 per fight.

Gee, I wonder why he wanted to leave. The UFC's treatment of one of the greatest athletes in MMA history was frankly disgusting.
I like DJ and overall I side with him in his dispute with the UFC but this quote of his is telling
Johnson said he then finally got a champion’s contract, on US$125,000 to show and us$50,000 to win – but he was still denied pay-per-view points.

“That’s where champions make most bang for their buck, pay-per-view points,” he added
. “Because if you get on card with Conor McGregor and he does 2.1 million buys, then you do the math. You’re gonna make a s*** load of money.
Part of the point of PPV points is to incentivize the big stars to promote the fight and get interest. But DJ knows that, for whatever reason, he couldn't do that and basically wanted to free ride off the popularity of other fighters like Jon Jones to big PPV paydays. In fairness that's not necessarily wrong, as a promoter using Jon Jones to get more eyes on DJ is probably smart long term. But with how little fan interest there was in DJ I do see why the UFC was hesitant to put him alongside a star like Conor or Jon Jones. Those guys are already getting fat checks because of the buys they generate and to split that with DJ who in all likelihood barely added buys? Doesn't make sense. They should've cut him a fat check to fight TJ or at least allowed DJ to fight for the BW belt if TJ but on the PPV points situation there's no getting around it, DJ did not move the needle.

Mighty Mouse was a boring champ. He was the Tim Sylvia of the Flyweight division for the longest time.
People slept on the Flyweight division until Deiveson Figueiredo became champ.
Deiveson Figueiredo > D. Johnson
This must be a troll or you've never watched Tim Sylvia. Even if you don't like Johnson his worst fights are better than Sylvia's best (other than the ones where Tim gets ktfo)

I'm convinced that the only reason he isn't more popular, aside from Dana being a piece of shit, is that there are so many mentally weak people who look down on smaller fighters. Like because he's tiny that means he's a bitch or something? I don't know, those kind of people do the most bizarre mental gymnastics.

I'm convinced that the only reason he isn't more popular, aside from Dana being a piece of shit, is that there are so many mentally weak people who look down on smaller fighters. Like because he's tiny that means he's a bitch or something? I don't know, those kind of people do the most bizarre mental gymnastics.

There are always gonna be people in bars who don't care to watch DJ fight because they think they could beat him.

Even though he literally submitted a 250 lb brown belt in IBJJF

So does Anderson Silva jbj fedor volk Aldo ... Gsp izzy could keep going and some of those guys just got the. Belt that stat is dumb just go off consecutive title defence streak

With his 11 straight title defenses, Demetrious Johnson once again has more defenses than all the current 12 champions who only have 10 between them(7 male, 3 female)
Insane
Edit: Better stat. DJ got the finish in 7 of his 11 defenses, the rest of the champs combined have a paltry 2 finishes.
To add to this 2 of those fights that didn't end in finish got FOTN. So, he had 9 fights that where either FOTN or finishes out of 11. Once again that's insane.

There are always gonna be people in bars who don't care to watch DJ fight because they think they could beat him.

Even though he literally submitted a 250 lb brown belt in IBJJF

This was at open weight AFTER MM cleaned out his weight class at Brown Belt in the SAME tournament, the same day.

GOAT.

Yeah but has he ever been high on coke and crashed his car into a pregnant woman? Checkmate.

Gotta be honest I used to be a bit on the manlet hate train and not taking these midgets serious but that crazy flying armbar DJ did kinda changed my mind.

I still have him up there with Silva, GSP, and Jones.

One of the all time great champ runs.

He may have got his 125k + 50k contract by the second Benavidez fight. But no matter how you look at it, that's peanuts for a champion on his 4th title fight.

Don't forget he got paid 14k to challenge Dominick Cruz for the bantamweight title lol.

The fact hes so happy and cheerful. Dudes a literal saint.

Nobody ranks him. Few remember him. Most try to forget him.
Filthy fucking casuals

No fighter who has ever stepped into the Octagon has been as complete a fighter as DJ. No failed drug tests either. Mouse, GSP, Fedor, and Aldo are the 4 best to ever do it at the top level consistently in the history of the sport, and I'd throw an asterisk at Anderson for only failing a test after breaking his leg in 2 but he's DQd all the same

Filthy fucking casuals

No fighter who has ever stepped into the Octagon has been as complete a fighter as DJ. No failed drug tests either. Mouse, GSP, Fedor, and Aldo are the 4 best to ever do it at the top level consistently in the history of the sport, and I'd throw an asterisk at Anderson for only failing a test after breaking his leg in 2 but he's DQd all the same

These are valid points, but I can't think of any other champs who literally emptied arenas.

He should have left 125 and try to move up. I know he didn't do well originally at 135 but staying at 125 was screwing him.

Back