Crime Charges Re-Filed against Alec Baldwin in 'Rust' Shooting. (Update: Armorer's Trial Started)

I can see what you’re saying. I personally think that someone sabotaged the gun. Is there proof he cut corners that directly affected safety?
That question is largely the reason for the trial. We'll find out after discovery and evidence.

Why would someone have intentionally sabotaged the gun? Given how everything played out, they couldn't have known when the trigger would've been pulled, nor who it was aimed at. At best, the sabotage would simply be to derail Alec Baldwin?

All signs point towards the armorer being inept at her job and someone lost their life. There are questions surrounding her drug use and what she did in her off time, and did Alec cut corners in hiring her, which could've reasonably led to a tragedy. We'll see how it all plays out.

I can see what you’re saying. I personally think that someone sabotaged the gun. Is there proof he cut corners that directly affected safety?
From the sounds of it, the movie set was more "wild west" than the movie itself was gonna be. Chilling out in the back, having "target practice" with bottles n' shit. The armorer is clearly a careless idiot, who brought drugs and live ammo onto the set, and obviously sucked at her job. I don't know how much of that will fall on Alec Baldwin, though.

I don't think the gun was sabotaged, though. I think it was just an accident waiting to happen, due to the carefree environment. It was probably a gun that was previously being used for target practice, and ended up in the mix with a moronic armorer who was probably too lazy to do a proper check before handing it off to Baldwin. Baldwin was stupid enough to trust the blue haired idiot.

From the sounds of it, the movie set was more "wild west" than the movie itself was gonna be. Chilling out in the back, having "target practice" with bottles n' shit. The armorer is clearly a careless idiot, who brought drugs and live ammo onto the set, and obviously sucked at her job. I don't know how much of that will fall on Alec Baldwin, though.

I don't think the gun was sabotaged, though. I think it was just an accident waiting to happen, due to the carefree environment. It was probably a gun that was previously being used for target practice, and ended up in the mix with a moronic armorer who was probably too lazy to do a proper check before handing it off to Baldwin. Baldwin was stupid enough to trust the blue haired idiot.

I don’t know the exact scenario that led to the gun being live ammo. I just don’t see how he would have been responsible, that’s all.

That question is largely the reason for the trial. We'll find out after discovery and evidence.

Why would someone have intentionally sabotaged the gun? Given how everything played out, they couldn't have known when the trigger would've been pulled, nor who it was aimed at. At best, the sabotage would simply be to derail Alec Baldwin?

Who knows. I certainly don’t, hence everything is opinion at this point.

This seems to be the general consensus. The point of the trial looks like it will come down to Baldwin's culpability in fostering an unsafe environment AND not checking the weapon. If you have a reasonable belief that everyone is doing their jobs and safety measures are being met, you probably don't need to check the gun. If there are live rounds being fired, gun safety coming into question, and maybe drugs on set... you should probably check the gun.

Could be similar to the Brandon Lee scenario.

Maybe, except that in this case, they found live ammo in the cylinder and at the armorer's station.

In Lee's case it was a weird set of circumstances that led to him being shot dead. In an earlier scene, someone put a dummy round into the gun that had no powder, but a live primer. When fired, it drove the bullet into the barrel, obstructing it. (squib load)
In the scene during which Massee was supposed shoot at Lee, the gun was loaded with blanks. When he fired, it drove the squib out of the barrel striking Lee in the chest, eventually killing him.
The death was ruled an accident due to negligence.
Lee's mother sued the filmmakers, and the case was settled two months later.
There were never any criminal charges filed against the filmmakers.
The protocols developed from that incident were adopted industry-wide, but were not followed in Baldwin's production.
IMO, the person responsible was the armorer due to her lack of experience and lax standards, such as allowing the prop guns to be used for plinking after hours.

Maybe, except that in this case, they found live ammo in the cylinder and at the armorer's station.

In Lee's case it was a weird set of circumstances that led to him being shot dead. In an earlier scene, someone put a dummy round into the gun that had no powder, but a live primer. When fired, it drove the bullet into the barrel, obstructing it. (squib load)
In the scene during which Massee was supposed shoot at Lee, the gun was loaded with blanks. When he fired, it drove the squib out of the barrel striking Lee in the chest, eventually killing him.
The death was ruled an accident due to negligence.
Lee's mother sued the filmmakers, and the case was settled two months later.
There were never any criminal charges filed against the filmmakers.
The protocols developed from that incident were adopted industry-wide, but were not followed in Baldwin's production.
IMO, the person responsible was the armorer due to her lack of experience and lax standards, such as allowing the prop guns to be used for plinking after hours.
I agree with your last statement, and it'll be interesting to see how charges will remain, or not, in the wake of the armorer's own trial.

The guy who shot Brandon Lee had no charges against them. But there are charges against Baldwin - that kind of tells me it's due to his politics.

The guy who shot Brandon Lee had no charges against them. But there are charges against Baldwin - that kind of tells me it's due to his politics.
Read above and see that they are two completely different things.

Brandon Lee was killed when a dummy round didn't properly exit the chamber before another dummy round was fired. A true accident that hadn't happened before, wasn't reasonably foreseeable, and led to significant changes in the industry.

'Rust', if not Baldwin himself, hired an unproven armorer to cut costs and reasonably knew of safety issues that had been brought up to him and led people to walk out on set. Nothing was done about any of those things during filming, and a woman lost her life.

Read above and see that they are two completely different things.

Brandon Lee was killed when a dummy round didn't properly exit the chamber before another dummy round was fired. A true accident that hadn't happened before, wasn't reasonably foreseeable, and led to significant changes in the industry.

'Rust', if not Baldwin himself, hired an unproven armorer to cut costs and reasonably knew of safety issues that had been brought up to him and led people to walk out on set. Nothing was done about any of those things during filming, and a woman lost her life.
From what I read before the walkouts were over long hours and the like. I can't recall mention of safety concerns from those people in particular. Can you source that, please?

Thanks. There's a part that says, "At least one of the camera operators complained...." Upon first reading I may not have noted this camera operator was said to be among the ones who walked out.

The trial would be interesting if it weren't so tragic. I suspect the armorer will be found criminally liable and the production company will have some punitive financial liability when the inevitable civil suit is filed, while Baldwin will get off on any criminal charges. It would be interesting to be proved wrong though so I look forward to the result either way.

Thanks. There's a part that says, "At least one of the camera operators complained...." Upon first reading I may not have noted this camera operator was said to be among the ones who walked out.

The trial would be interesting if it weren't so tragic. I suspect the armorer will be found criminally liable and the production company will have some punitive financial liability when the inevitable civil suit is filed, while Baldwin will get off on any criminal charges. It would be interesting to be proved wrong though so I look forward to the result either way.
I, also, believe that Baldwin will get off without much of a punishment, except for maybe some fines for cutting a few corners. But no criminal charges.

I think the Armorer is responsible, but I still don't know what they can get her on criminally if they can't prove drug use or willful reckless endangerment. Unless they can prove that SHE was the one who brought live ammo to the set, she may get off, as well.

This seems to be the general consensus. The point of the trial looks like it will come down to Baldwin's culpability in fostering an unsafe environment AND not checking the weapon. If you have a reasonable belief that everyone is doing their jobs and safety measures are being met, you probably don't need to check the gun. If there are live rounds being fired, gun safety coming into question, and maybe drugs on set... you should probably check the gun.
I don't think you can ignore the politics, its clearly become a partisan issue and a previous prosecutor who pushed the case went on to stand for office as a republican, the fact its going ahead I wouldn't trust as a sign of the case being strong against him.

Some good information here surrounding the events leading up to the shooting and some of the evidence at play.

Back