Social Outrage over Maine lavishing $34M on 'Taj Mahal' apartments for asylum seekers and welcoming 75,000 newcomers this decade while leaving veterans and h

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses. Thats what it is about. No one should be homeless. There are international rights for asylum seekers. This is a good first step to ensure they are treated well.

This is so stupid, that it is incomprehensible. The United States cannot afford to house every citizen that wants free housing. Every economist ever has said you can choose ONE. You can choose open borders, or you can choose to allow welfare. You CANNOT have both because it will literally bankrupt and destroy the country.

They never stop having babies. Immigration to the US or any Western country does nothing other than drain their country of able bodies and minds.

What a joke.

This is so stupid, that it is incomprehensible. The United States cannot afford to house every citizen that wants free housing. Every economist ever has said you can choose ONE. You can choose open borders, or you can choose to allow welfare. You CANNOT have both because it will literally bankrupt and destroy the country.

They never stop having babies. Immigration to the US or any Western country does nothing other than drain their country of able bodies and minds.

What a joke.

Who never stops having babies? Not sure how immigration drains a country of able body and minds. In the short term, it may draw on resources, but the majority of people aren’t coming to draw welfare. They see the west as the land of opportunity, there is going to be a small minority of people who are thinking, man, if I move to the west, I can sit on my ass all day and collect pogie.

You can tackle the immigrant and local homelessness issues at the same time.

Government sure has a lot of balls forcing citizens to pay for people who don't even have a right to be here, especially considering how many people in this country are struggling. I see commercials all the time asking for donations for veterans or sick kids, yet these pieces of shit in government think it's appropriate to spend billions on people who don't belong here.

What a joke.

I love when they try to use the Statue Of Liberty as a means to justify mass unvetted immigration which is not at all what the Statue actually stands for in anyway. Plus when the Statue was giving to the United States we had a population of 50 Million and Now we are close to 300 million more than that and many cities resources are stretched beyond repair. We are a melting pot but the ingredients aren't benefiting the overall recipe anymore and its boiling over.

Last edited:
No, they don't. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
Yeah, they do. They're not obligated to live on the street, they have to live somewhere. And there is already existing government dollars allocated to this.

You guys should spend a lot more time understanding how your government works.

The Shelter and Services Program provides funds to non-federal entities that provide sheltering and other eligible services to noncitizen migrants who have been encountered by the Department of Homeland Security and released from custody while awaiting the outcome of their immigration proceedings.

Each U.S. state has different rules about what assistance asylum seekers can receive from the government. This may include benefits such as housing support, financial support, food support, and support for pregnant women, babies, and young children.

Who never stops having babies? Not sure how immigration drains a country of able body and minds. In the short term, it may draw on resources, but the majority of people aren’t coming to draw welfare. They see the west as the land of opportunity, there is going to be a small minority of people who are thinking, man, if I move to the west, I can sit on my ass all day and collect pogie.

You can tackle the immigrant and local homelessness issues at the same time.

They are literally economic migrants coming illegally to drain the US of resources. If there were no freebies they wouldn't come.

Where does the federal government get the money?
It's in the budget. Asylum seekers and asylum hearings aren't something that just came into existence in the last decade. We've been funding this for a long fucking time.

"The Shelter and Services Program provides funds to non-federal entities that provide sheltering and other eligible services to noncitizen migrants who have been encountered by the Department of Homeland Security and released from custody while awaiting the outcome of their immigration proceedings."

I keep trying to tell people that the federal government has been reimbursing states like Texas for the costs related to the illegal border crossings.

When Texas ships those illegals to other states, the other states pick up the costs of housing, feeding, etc. but they're going to get reimbursed by the federal government via programs and grants that exist for the purpose and have existed for a very long time.

It's just more expensive to ship them to somewhere like Maine who doesn't have a pre-existing system. Maine, unlike Texas, will spend the money to create a system. But it's coming from the same federal coffers that Texas has been dipping into.

This is why many people want to speed up the processing component so that we don't spend the money waiting months or years to determine who gets stay or who gets to go, paying for them the whole time that we wait.

They aren't "Asylum Seekers".....and it doesn't take months or years to determine who gets to stay or go...It takes days to deport everyone of them that came here illegal and didn't follow the legal process.

?? Eric Adams has asked the state to help cover 50% of their cost to house immigrants.

Maybe I'm mistaking something here
Eric Adams represents a city, his emergency funds are limited. He's asking the state to dip into the state's emergency funds to cover his shortfall. The state will ultimately ask the federal government to reimburse those funds. Eric Adams will also eventually ask the federal government to cover the city's emergency spending.

This is like when a tornado sweeps through a town. Who pays for it? If you remember these events, you'll remember that every governor and mayor first declares a "state of emergency". Why? Because that's how they get to go back to the federal emergency funds to cover these expenses. It's also why lots of places never get fully repair -- the federal dollars eventually dry up and the states and cities can't afford to fix it themselves.

This is coming out of the same type of federal process. Only the money being sought is both federal emergency dollars and federal dollars set aside for the housing and feeding of asylum seekers.

The political stunt might have people thinking that we're forcing NYC and Maine to foot the bill that Texas has been footing but, in reality, we've all been footing the same bill the whole time via the federal system. It's actually costing us more because Maine has to fund a system from the ground up while Texas already has infrastructure.

Hence why the point of my post was that it's political games meant to convince us of something without telling us the truth -- this actually costs us more money. And it has no impact on the money available for the homeless or vets.

Are you sure about that?

Would you like to change this statement ?
Depends on what you mean. I know what I mean but I'm speaking quickly in the context of how asylum seekers are funded. I'm sure there are plenty of federal programs for helping to take care of vets and the homeless. They're just not the same programs as those for asylum seekers.

Yeah, they do. They're not obligated to live on the street, they have to live somewhere. And there is already existing government dollars allocated to this.

You guys should spend a lot more time understanding how your government works.

The Shelter and Services Program provides funds to non-federal entities that provide sheltering and other eligible services to noncitizen migrants who have been encountered by the Department of Homeland Security and released from custody while awaiting the outcome of their immigration proceedings.

Each U.S. state has different rules about what assistance asylum seekers can receive from the government. This may include benefits such as housing support, financial support, food support, and support for pregnant women, babies, and young children.
None of this backs up your claim they have to be housed.

None of this backs up your claim they have to be housed.
Oh, you're being pedantic. I'm sorry, I misunderstood your concerns.

Every state that receives illegal immigrant asylum seekers has to choose between housing them and leaving them on the streets homeless.

Only the moronic states will choose to leave the asylum seeks as homeless people , comprised of men, women and children of all ages, on their streets. The intelligent states will house them because the impact of leaving them homeless will far exceed the cost of housing them, both financially and socially.

Is that better?

Every state that receives illegal immigrant asylum seekers has to choose between housing them and leaving them on the streets homeless.

Only the moronic states will choose to leave the asylum seeks as homeless people , comprised of men, women and children of all ages, on their streets. The intelligent states will house them because the impact of leaving them homeless will far exceed the cost of housing them, both financially and socially.

Is that better?
Its more honest, but the last part is a silly opinion that isn't based in reality. Rewarding unethical behavior will just encourage more to come.

Is that better?
Leaving them on the streets is a disincentive for other illegals to come to said state. It may be perceived as cruel, but in a country where veterans, the disabled, and sick kids need to beg for donations to stay above water, that's just the way in needs to be. In no way should illegals see a penny as long as we have our own issues.

At the end of the day, subsidizing illegals to the tune of billions is directly hurting taxpayers, many of who are struggling, and directly impacting our own who could use the resources.

Leaving them on the streets is a disincentive for other illegals to come to said state. It may be perceived as cruel, but in a country where veterans, the disabled, and sick kids need to beg for donations to stay above water, that's just the way in needs to be. In no way should illegals see a penny as long as we have our own issues.

At the end of the day, subsidizing illegals to the tune of billions is directly hurting taxpayers, many of who are struggling, and directly impacting our own who could use the resources.
F them if they think its cruel...If they're truly Asylum seekers they wouldn't even think that way and they would be grateful just to be allowed to stay here.

F them if they think its cruel...If they're truly Asylum seekers they wouldn't even think that way and they would be grateful just to be allowed to stay here.
If we lived in a country of abundance I'd say sure, help them. But we have middle and working class people crushed by inflation and taxation and they have absolutely no obligation to make their own lives harder to help people who don't belong here. And more pressingly is the fact that all of our resources should be spent on our own. We have people who suffer and even die because they have no money and resources yet we have the feds and these wacko liberal states spending billions on illegals. It borders on treason.

If we lived in a country of abundance I'd say sure, help them. But we have middle and working class people crushed by inflation and taxation and they have absolutely no obligation to make their own lives harder to help people who don't belong here. And more pressingly is the fact that all of our resources should be spent on our own. We have people who suffer and even die because they have no money and resources yet we have the feds and these wacko liberal states spending billions on illegals. It borders on treason.
I agree 100 percent and I'm baffled why people would feel otherwise whether you're "Left" or "Right" leaning. It really is time for everyone to clean up their own backyard before they go knocking on their neighbors door. We have our own yard to clean.

Back