*** Anthony Joshua vs. Francis Ngannou Aftermath Discussion MEGA THREAD ***

Of course fighters think they can beat anyone else. Otherwise they wouldnt do it.
I should not have said “ I do believe” I know they think they can. Two different sports. Boxers realize this. Why can’t the MMA fighters.

True, but not really lucky. It's not in Joshua's character to take risks like Fury does. It was only attractive for Joshua to take a fight with Ngannou when most people thought Ngannou had beaten Fury. Then Joshua saw enough reward to risk it. No matter how much people want to pretend certain outcomes are inevitable, in reality it's a fight with two extremely dangerous guys and there most certainly is a lot of risk when someone slips up even a little.
I agree, but Joshua wouldn't sleep on an opponent either after his loss to Ruiz and would've taken the fight 100%. Joshua was kind of in the backcurtains behind Usyk & Fury at the time as well, and had his rebuilding fights working under Derrick James and now Ben Davis. Props for Francis for daring to be great though, insane power and athleticism.

In MMA you can get away with stance switching due to cross dominance for punches, kicks, etc. In boxing unless you're Marvin Hagler or Terence Crawford you're going to get fucked up
remember the last round of manny vs Morales I?

Huge difference in power between elite boxers and punchers in MMA. People like to pretend otherwise, but it really shouldn’t come as any surprise.
It wasn't the power it was the defense that was the difference.

I should not have said “ I do believe” I know they think they can. Two different sports. Boxers realize this. Why can’t the MMA fighters.

I remember when Mirko first fought in MMA,and Wanderlei took him down. he had fear in his eyes. He didnt know what to do.

MMA fighters understand punching each other in the face,even if they arent as good at it.

If you tell a fighter they can win millions by knocking another guy out,thats all you have to do,they are gonna go for it

UFC athletes simply are not up to par athleticism or skill-wise compared to those of other combat sports, let alone major league sports. We saw how Israel Adesanya and Alex Pereira came into the UFC and blew through numerous champions and championship contenders just with some rudimentary TDD knowledge. We saw how highly ranked UFC fighters Ben Askren, Tyron Woodley, and Anderson Silva all got dropped/folded by a Youtube influencer. And now MMA's final hope Ngannou got knocked out cold.

And before you say that so-or-so other combat sport athlete would not last a minute against UFC fighters in MMA, never forget that Ray Mercer knocked a former UFC champion Tim Sylvia out cold in his prime. Nobody in MMA has ever achieved the converse - Ngannou was the closest but we just saw how that went.

The truth is that the UFC is barely a step up from BKFC - it's just mandated brawling under the guise of combining martial art styles. What do you expect when C-level boxers and kickboxers (which all UFC fighters are) go up against A-level boxers and kickboxers?

Last edited:
You’re faulting Francis for going for 30 mill guaranteed vs some 13 fight deal?

You do realize Francis had contract issues before Jon was even a heavyweight? He had been trying to get out after the first stipe fight
Nicksick confirmed it was indeed only a 3 fight deal and that the holdup was a loss dropped the pay for $8M/per fight.

Which... yes...? Why would Ngannou make championship pay if he's no longer champion?

As to your second point, yes, Francis himself said he missed $7M by not fighting the UFC's contracts for fights he fought anyways, and that's not even counting had he simple won the Stipe fight and gotten the built in contender-to-champion purse there in and then.

Francis' purse problems have always been that he wanted to leave the UFC so wouldn't sign their contracts.

The UFC proved tonight they were right about that.

In MMA you can get away with stance switching due to cross dominance for punches, kicks, etc. In boxing unless you're Marvin Hagler or Terence Crawford you're going to get fucked up
Indeed.

Francis never had an 84in reach lol
Bones doesn't have an 84.5" reach either, but they wanted to be able to market him as the youngest champion with the longest reach in current UFC/2nd longest in history (behind Semmy), so they gave him a half inch over Stefan Struve.

That's my theory anyway...
Good theory. But Jon has comically long limbs. His finger tips go to his knees and he looks long af. Francis hands sit much higher on his body. If they are exaggerating Jon he’s till got to be 80+.

Its athletes simply are not up to par athleticism or skill-wise compared to those of other combat sports, let alone major league sports. We saw how Israel Adesanya and Alex Pereira came into the UFC and blew through numerous champions and championship contenders just with some rudimentary TDD knowledge. We saw how highly ranked UFC fighters Ben Askren, Tyron Woodley, and Anderson Silva all got dropped/folded by a Youtube influencer. And now MMA's final hope Ngannou got knocked out cold.

And before you say that so-or-so other combat sport athlete would not last a minute against UFC fighters in MMA, never forget that Ray Mercer knocked a former UFC champion Tim Sylvia out cold in his prime. Nobody in MMA has ever achieved the converse - Ngannou was the closest but we just saw how that went.

The truth is that the UFC is barely a step up from BKFC - it's just mandated brawling under the guise of combining martial art styles. What do you expect when C-level boxers and kickboxers (which all UFC fighters are) go up against A-level boxers and kickboxers?
Tim was not in his prime lol

dude weighed in at 300 lbs for that one.

I remember when Mirko first fought in MMA,and Wanderlei took him down. he had fear in his eyes. He didnt know what to do.

MMA fighters understand punching each other in the face,even if they arent as good at it.

If you tell a fighter they can win millions by knocking another guy out,thats all you have to do,they are gonna go for it
They most definitely the fighters and the boxers are boxers. I’ll give it to the MMA fighters. They’ll risk it all.

Its athletes simply are not up to par athleticism or skill-wise compared to those of other combat sports, let alone major league sports. We saw how Israel Adesanya and Alex Pereira came into the UFC and blew through numerous champions and championship contenders just with some rudimentary TDD knowledge. We saw how highly ranked UFC fighters Ben Askren, Tyron Woodley, and Anderson Silva all got dropped/folded by a Youtube influencer. And now MMA's final hope Ngannou got knocked out cold.

You understand BKFC is just a bunch of washed MMA fighters, right?

Back