Anyone ever encountered a traditional martial artist that hates MMA?

I completely agree with you. Focusing on complicated techniques makes for inefficient training. The straight forward approach to training that can be seen in most

Trust me, dirty those tactics and techniques those traditional idiot martial artists claim that's "too deadly for the ring" is full of bullcrap. Anyone of those mcdojo idiots try a dick grabbing, pinching, biting, eye poking shit on me, it gets me even more angrier and they are fucked!

I sparred with some dude that claims he's a karate expert, forgot what style, but he said he's a 8th degree black belt. I was beating his ass and he got pissed, tried to kick my balls. I saw that coming and I grabbed his leg, took him down, mounted his back, flatten him on the ground, and I kept bitch slapping the back of his head and made him say "karate sucks! karate sucks!" repeatedly. I did that for a good 2 minutes until I let him go.

You see, when those dirty tricks don't work, you'll get the other person even more angrier and you're fucked.

Of course some TMA's won't be as effective as the more popular MMA based styles (which are still technically TMAs like Muay Thai etc), but do you honestly think say a TMA fighter like a Kyokushin guy can't defend himself? If you think that then you are wayyyy too much into this "Ultimate Fighter" bullshit. You know, not all people are training to be world beaters who HAVE to be amazing strikers, submission artists and wrestlers in one package, some people are just happy training in one style or one TMA style and learning some self defense and practically + humbleness. I have been doing MT for close to 6 years now and MMA for 2 and am going to be getting into a Kyokushin off-shoot because I am looking for that humble attitude/formal approach that I feel like this tough guy bullshit fad is missing.

Of course some TMA's won't be as effective as the more popular MMA based styles (which are still technically TMAs like Muay Thai etc), but do you honestly think say a TMA fighter like a Kyokushin guy can't defend himself? If you think that then you are wayyyy too much into this "Ultimate Fighter" bullshit. You know, not all people are training to be world beaters who HAVE to be amazing strikers, submission artists and wrestlers in one package, some people are just happy training in one style or one TMA style and learning some self defense and practically + humbleness. I have been doing MT for close to 6 years now and MMA for 2 and am going to be getting into a Kyokushin off-shoot because I am looking for that humble attitude/formal approach that I feel like this tough guy bullshit fad is missing.

For the record, you can also train TMAs and still be an "Ultimate Fighter", I am a Muay Thai guy but I plan on cross training Kyokushin to learn some new styles of kicks and what not to broaden my arsenal. Why do you think Anderson Silva trains TKD and Aikido? or Vitor Belfort trains Shotokan? it's because these people are real martial artists and respect all arts.

it really is amazing anyone can be over the age of 13 and still take tmas seriously

it really is amazing anyone can be over the age of 13 and still take tmas seriously

its amazing that you could post this after joshua's very well put post.:icon_chee

its amazing that you could post this after joshua's very well put post.:icon_chee

lol :icon_chee not the most elegant post but gets the point across. These guys are all on the MMA high horse right now where everybody thinks if it ain't MTT/BJJ/Wrestling then it ain't shit approach which is completely wrong. Every martial art has its pros and cons.

The tall stance of Muay Thai and square hips which can make you suspect to being taken down, or the side stance of a boxer which will have you open for brutal leg kicks, or the often missing aspect of takedowns in BJJ? How about the lack of finishing moves with a wrestling style? My point is everything has it's weaknesses and yes if you want to become an "ultimate fighter" you need to have the full package, but also training in one discipline whether it be Muay Thai, Kyokushin or even Tae Kwon Do, will still give you more training and more technique than your average joe. You think a spinning back kick from a Tae Kwon Do fighter won't hurt? Watch Loiseau vs McCarthy. You think a Mawashi Geri from a Kyokushin Karateka won't hurt? Then you are blind with bias.

From my own experience, I find that MMA gyms and fight gyms in general are all about just that, "fighting." I've always enjoyed the budo aspect of martial arts, honor and all those things that you may consider bullshit, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to become a humble person and treating others with respect, fighting doesn't have to just be about who can get the most tattoos and most ridiculous hair cut to garner the most attention. I believe in respect for self and others + humility, but maybe i'm old fashioned (and this is coming from a 22 year old thai boxer, not some tae kwon do guy) It's called being open minded and respecting all martial arts as in the worlds of Genki Sudo (A guy known for using TMA skills) "We are all one."

Ha, what's funny is when i was at Grudge which is considered one of colorado's top mma gyms the fighters or the coaches never scoffed when i told them i knew tkd or karate in fact it was quite the opposite they liked the skills i came in with alot and didnt want me to stop practicing them.

I don't think its so much the gyms but the larpers who are clinging to the MMA bandwagon who make the scene look like its filled with a bunch of ignorant and classless jack asses.

But this was bound to happen. Anytime a style became popular the bandwagoners hop on and proclaim it to be the best thing since shaved vagina and belittle anything else that isn't the new fad.

If this forum was around decades back we would have people proclaiming karate or ninjitsu is the only way to train and everything else is wrong! wrong! wrong!
:icon_chee

wasn't boxing considered useless for mma a few years ago? wasn't wrestling thought to be inferior to bjj not that long ago? then Machida comes along and starts beating these muay thai/bjj/wrestler type fighters with Karate and sumo, haha. I believe once the "mma fad" has disappeared mma will go back to it's original roots: tma's!

sounds like you can't finish an armbar

Exactly what I was thinking. If you have a half decent armbar, the other guy hitting a pressure point shouldn't even be a concern.

Sounds like you might just be a bitch, where I come from a well- executed armbar hurts way worse than a pressure point.

kyokushin is a modern style

What makes something a TMA?
And how old does a martial art have to be
to be considered a TMA?

What makes something a TMA?
And how old does a martial art have to be
to be considered a TMA?

history, tradition, mostly opinions, etc. people consider Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Kyokushin karate, Hapkido TMA's, but look how long they've been around. boxing and wrestling have been around forever but most wouldn't consider them tma.

history, tradition, mostly opinions, etc. people consider Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Kyokushin karate, Hapkido TMA's, but look how long they've been around. boxing and wrestling have been around forever but most wouldn't consider them tma.

True.
The oldest styles of karate that exist today were created in the 20ies. (shotokan was formally founded in 39) kyokushin was founded in the mid 50ies)Most "traditions" in karate was created in the 30ies. The first and largest sport rules originates in the late 40ies. Little of the methods that existed in the pre-20ies "karate" survive.
And btw, all the founders of the moders styles of karate crosstrained in everything they could get their hands on (admittedly they had less of a choice than people today).

So what is there really that makes it "traditional".
Ofcourse, the ROOTS are older, but that is another thing entirely.

TMA is just a label people cannot really define if pressed on the issue.

Similarly I would not say that boxing&wrestling is the ancient sport people sometimes claim. Sure people have tested each other in grappling and striking forever, but how much skill has been preserved over the centuries as a system and how much of the modern sports are the results of re-invention?

True.
The oldest styles of karate that exist today were created in the 20ies. (shotokan was formally founded in 39) kyokushin was founded in the mid 50ies)Most "traditions" in karate was created in the 30ies. The first and largest sport rules originates in the late 40ies. Little of the methods that existed in the pre-20ies "karate" survive.
And btw, all the founders of the moders styles of karate crosstrained in everything they could get their hands on (admittedly they had less of a choice than people today).

So what is there really that makes it "traditional".
Ofcourse, the ROOTS are older, but that is another thing entirely.

TMA is just a label people cannot really define if pressed on the issue.

Similarly I would not say that boxing&wrestling is the ancient sport people sometimes claim. Sure people have tested each other in grappling and striking forever, but how much skill has been preserved over the centuries as a system and how much of the modern sports are the results of re-invention?

TMA = mcdojo crap

I stopped wrestling in 2001 which is just about when
the whole MMA scene started taking off here in Australia.
My wrestling coach, refs and assistants often stated that
they found MMA disgusting. And they'd laugh at the sloppy
level of wrestling that was having success in MMA.

So yeah it's not just tma's that are critical of MMA.

Trust me, dirty those tactics and techniques those traditional idiot martial artists claim that's "too deadly for the ring" is full of bullcrap. Anyone of those mcdojo idiots try a dick grabbing, pinching, biting, eye poking shit on me, it gets me even more angrier and they are fucked!

I sparred with some dude that claims he's a karate expert, forgot what style, but he said he's a 8th degree black belt. I was beating his ass and he got pissed, tried to kick my balls. I saw that coming and I grabbed his leg, took him down, mounted his back, flatten him on the ground, and I kept bitch slapping the back of his head and made him say "karate sucks! karate sucks!" repeatedly. I did that for a good 2 minutes until I let him go.

You see, when those dirty tricks don't work, you'll get the other person even more angrier and you're fucked.

Yeah, and when you find someone who can make it work, you'll lose the ability to have kids, or the ability to see. That's not worth it for anything, even if you break all his limbs and win the fight or even kill him.

Your story doesn't prove anything either, just that you were better than your opponent at the time you guys were playing around.

lol. You quoted yourself and are replying to yourself? :p

Ha, what's funny is when i was at Grudge which is considered one of colorado's top mma gyms the fighters or the coaches never scoffed when i told them i knew tkd or karate in fact it was quite the opposite they liked the skills i came in with alot and didnt want me to stop practicing them.

I don't think its so much the gyms but the larpers who are clinging to the MMA bandwagon who make the scene look like its filled with a bunch of ignorant and classless jack asses.

But this was bound to happen. Anytime a style became popular the bandwagoners hop on and proclaim it to be the best thing since shaved vagina and belittle anything else that isn't the new fad.

If this forum was around decades back we would have people proclaiming karate or ninjitsu is the only way to train and everything else is wrong! wrong! wrong!
:icon_chee

Completely agree. The 'Larpers' today are the MMA/BJJ bandwagon dudes and have no idea what TMA even are, and are just saying it because it's the cool thing to say and they think it's cool to be posting on bullshido or something and think that because it's called bullshido that there isn't any bullshit on there when it has just as much deluded BJJ/MMA guys who think they are the best or TUF.. heh

Back