Gym Idiots Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a nice idea Mark but the problem is adding strength very quickly leads to diminishing returns in strength. So only a few programs out there are worth the time it takes to run them, if strength training is not your only/overall goal.

Lol.

Its a nice idea Mark but the problem is adding strength very quickly leads to diminishing returns in strength. So only a few programs out there are worth the time it takes to run them, if strength training is not your only/overall goal.

What.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying; getting strong too quickly is bad because then it becomes harder to get even stronger? That is almost full retard.

If getting stronger is not your goal, then why are you doing any strength program, even as a supplement to an athletic activity?

Please explain what you are trying to say. I hope what you are trying to say is that if you are, say, a swimmer or a competitive cyclist, developing extra muscle might actual harm your performance more than the extra strength gains help, or that maximal exertion is not particularly beneficial in your particular sport. The extent to which this is true is another question entirely, of course.

technically, I would say that the first part of this is somewhat true. (aside from the fact that the diminishing returns do not occur very quickly at all, and especially not to the point where it wouldn't be worthwhile to continue)

It does eventually lead to diminishing returns... but how this is a "problem" is beyond me :icon_conf

What in the world is your athletic background that you have such a bias against strength training and don't understand that being strong is almost universally useful. The "nice idea Mark" bit makes me inclined to think this whole account is a troll. He posted (non-ironically) in one of the other threads to not strength train because you will be big and bulky.

Of course getting stronger faster leads to diminishing returns later on. If you improve quickly at anything--maximal strength, speed, flexibility, mobility, sporting technique, etc.--you're reaching your "ceiling" faster, which means you'll improve less in the future. There are ALWAYS going to be diminishing gains: neophytes will always improve the most in their first year, and in each subsequent year, the gains will be less and less.

Think about how ridiculous this sounds: you'd never tell someone to hold themselves back in learning technique for a martial art because of "diminishing gains," would you? Of course not. You want to improve everywhere as quickly as is reasonable, without detracting from your training as a whole. If you're a fighter who can get much stronger over the course of a year without detracting from his or her overall training, then it makes no sense to hold yourself back and remain a novice. Sure, you're leaving yourself more room to improve for the future, just like I'm leaving myself more room to improve my cardio for the future by, you no, never doing cardio.

I seriously need to start talking to the bros at my gym to prepare myself for having conversations with PhelpsMMA. Call it my sport-specific training.

I seriously need to start talking to the bros at my gym to prepare myself for having conversations with PhelpsMMA. Call it my sport-specific training.

You made a funny.

And would you start shoving a cactus up your ass sideways to prepare for conversations with Cratos?

Strength is the basis of athletic ability. If you are a good athlete, you are stronger than a less-good athlete. If you want to be a better athlete, you get stronger. If you are already very strong, there is room in your training for the development of other aspects of performance. But there is a very high likelihood that you are not that strong, since most people are not. You may think you

This is not necessarilly true. Powerlifting routines for many athletes can hinder performance in certain instances. I used to think like you that big lifting numbers were the key to my success in tennis, basketball and baseball. The guys that constantly make fun of "functional training" who ignore proper movement, mobility, balance, and posture may find themselves rehabbing with those same techniques when they get injured from lifting.

What about strength training means you have to ignore all the bolded? Thats such a straw man argument.

This is not necessarilly true. Powerlifting routines for many athletes can hinder performance in certain instances. I used to think like you that big lifting numbers were the key to my success in tennis, basketball and baseball. The guys that constantly make fun of "functional training" who ignore proper movement, mobility, balance, and posture may find themselves rehabbing with those same techniques when they get injured from lifting.

file.php

The guys that constantly make fun of "functional training" who ignore proper movement, mobility, balance, and posture may find themselves rehabbing with those same techniques when they get injured from lifting.

Sweeping generalizations are general.....and sweeping.

I hate to see some kids get bad advice that may hurt them or hinder them in athletics. That's one reason I post. If you disagree with me, that's fine. But you should say why you disagree with my post.

I posted why I disagreed with your post - you created a straw-man argument that somehow powerlifting causes you to ignore "proper movement, mobility, balance, and posture". For many people its the opposite; doing heavy compound lifts forces you to be conscious of the things you listed.

Nothing about powerlifting causes you to ignore those things. Any sort of training is bad if you ignore those things.

What about strength training means you have to ignore all the bolded? Thats such a straw man argument.

For example in tennis, it is helpful to use light weights to train elastic strength, mobility in wrists, shoulders, torso and hips. It's extremely helpful to train core strength and mobility on a swiss ball. The poster was making fun of some methods that are probably more important for tennis than having high numbers on the big three lifts. That was my point.
You're right that you can do both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted why I disagreed with your post - you created a straw-man argument that somehow powerlifting causes you to ignore "proper movement, mobility, balance, and posture". For many people its the opposite; doing heavy compound lifts forces you to be conscious of the things you listed.

Nothing about powerlifting causes you to ignore those things. Any sort of training is bad if you ignore those things.

I agree.

It's extremely helpful to train core strength and mobility on a swiss ball (for tennis).

Please provide scientific evidence to back up this statement. And why this being done on a swiss ball is better than other forms of core strengthening.

Please provide scientific evidence to back up this statement.

I don't have it. Do you have scientific evidence that bigger squats, bench and deadlifts help improve tennis performance? You'd have to try it out to see if it worked for you. And then just give an opinion of it.

I think its pretty plain to see that every sport has different requirements, and powerlifting itself is only sports-specific to powerlifting.

Ripskater, the tone of your post suggested that powerlifting was an active detriment to performance, as opposed to insufficient when not supplemented by sports-specific training. Thats where I disagreed - obviously we can can all agree that mobility etc. is very important to being an athlete.

Being stronger doesn't mean being worse in other aspects of athletic performance; and because of recovery constraints lifting takes more/less of an athletes training depending on their particular sport. Squatting is less important to a marathoner's training than a rower, even though both are endurance sports. But I think that the generalization should be to lift heavy, and the exception being made for sports that have an extraordinarily low focus on strength (instead of the reverse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back