Ronda Rousey: "If GSP Wasn't Good-Looking & Canadian He Would Be Unknown"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always considered Americans a lot more patriotic then Canadians.

Wow, I think she is really talking about herself. :rolleyes:

She is going to turn off more fans than she converts. Almost every time she opens her mouth, you like her less. She is going to crash and burn hard like Kimbo Slice.

GSP Vs. Ronda.

50-45 GSP.

Book it.

On the reals though.... wtf is she on about?? Mediocre PR grab here at best.

I'm pretty surprised about the ethnic breakdown of Toronto, though. It's more diverse than I would have thought.

Toronto has some pretty "Black" areas, like Jamaican neighborhoods and stuff. I'm not at all surprised by its diversity.

I hope Liz Carmouche wins by brutal KO then pisses hot. Then we never see WMMA in the UFC, if this is the biggest star in the business

What are the differences in our cultures? I don't see any as a nation.

I have been all around the USA, and lived all over British Columbia and Alberta, and as a country, the culture is nearly identical. I would feel more at home visiting Washington or Northern California than I would visiting Toronto as an example.

Sure, the US have many different cultures within itself, but so does Canada. A person from the West Coast is going to feel like they are seeing a whole other culture visiting the South, but the basics are all the same.

Same language, mostly same slang, same bus system, same grocery system, same churches, same stores, same tv shows, same road/driving system etc. A person living in America would generally find no major culture shock moving to Canada, and same if it was flipped.

As someone from Toronto, you would obviously feel more at home in New York than you would in Nunavut. The UK would be a foreign land for both of our citizens as well.

The only major differences I see are:
Gun Laws
Health Care System

If you aren't comfortable around guns, there are plenty of states where you would feel at home. Gun laws differ from state to state. In the South, yes, you might see someone shopping in Wal-Mart with their pistol, but there are many states where you are unlikely to ever even see a gun in your life outside of police/military/hunting, just like in Canada.

You don't see how massively different gun laws and universal health care would change and evolve a culture in a completely different direction?

I have to agree. Look at Ben Askren. I doubt many people know who he is.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, the only reason we're even discussing diversity is because that guy claimed it's the root of gun violence, because that other guy said Canada was less safe than the US and I objected, citing gun violence as the obvious proof he was wrong.

I did a quick search of some statistics regarding diversity and it seemed that part of his argument was correct, so I mentioned it.

Discussions on internet forums take weird turns.

Anyways, Rousey says some crazy stuff, so here we are, talking about everything except her.

I was just addressing your claim that no Canadian cities come close to Chicago's diversity, which was just wrong. I didn't want to touch statements about gun violence, because that is obviously a silly thing to do in a thread about GSP's popularity... Pithy statements on MMA forums won't address that issue.

No matter. Dumb remarks lead to dumb threads.

Rousey made some good points but she also exaggerated and didn't consider some other factors too. I think GSP was exciting against Condit and I think he'll be entertaining against Diaz too, also GSP being so dominant is a factor in his popularity as well.

Last edited:
So sick of her.

She's facing fighters with little skill. Amateur fighters. She basically fighting in some F league and then calling out the fighter that has faced the hardest opponents in MMA.

Look at your men counterparts - Judo - they couldn't even get an arm-bar if their life depended on it.

Nobody gives a sh*t in real life - sales are crap, PPV will bomb. Nobody knows who she is.

Have fun with your F level opponent.

I can't stand her. If she wasn't semi attractive nobody would give a shit about her. Ironic.

Gsp being one of the goats has nothing to do with his success.

GSP being one of the greats is a factor too I agree.

Except for the fact that no one can come close to beating him. I think people are intrigued by his fights because he can beat his opponents is every area of fighting. He isn't like a Jon Fitch where he can only grind out decisions. GSP is so dynamic & skilled that he can pull off any moves he wants. He just chooses to do it through wrestling to avoid injury.

I agree that his looks help his marketability a lot. And the fact he is FRENCH-Canadian and not anglo-Canadian helps him moreso than say a Rory McDonald. The accent makes him different.

I always considered Americans a lot more patriotic then Canadians.

Me too. I think a lot of Canadians THINK they are patriotic, but don't truly understand patriotism. Most surveys I have seen agree that Americans are the most patriotic in general, and Canada ranked lower.

The same can be said about Rousey. If she still had the same looks now, that she did when she was competing in the Olympics, she herself would probably be unknown.

xlarge.jpg

The same can be said about Rousey. If she still had the same looks now, that she did when she was competing in the Olympics, she herself would probably be unknown.

xlarge.jpg

That's what she looks like without eyeliner and makeup. Welcome to reality.

That is seriously hilarious coming from someone who's entire division is built around the fact that she's a fuck-able female fighter.

Royce gracie isnt exactly good looking or canadian, and everybody knows who he is, is all about accomplishments, so i disagree with her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back