TUF 20: Guide to the Strawweight Division

Statistically speaking, the early favorites rarely win on TUF, where circumstances give the underdog the chance to shine.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lower-ranked contestant ends up as the inaugural SW Champ, and then promptly lose it in the first title defense, when everyone go back to their proper training camp with their usual coaches and cornermen.

Last edited:
Is this a drawing of a Team Melendez fighter depicting her in the act of farting? Is that a fro-hawk on that character? Does Angela Hill's expression and gesture support the hypothesis that it was her? Is it directed at a Team Pettis fighter in the drawing?

BxR5VaMIcAEl-PQ.jpg

Uhm, Rose is quite artsy.
Plays piano, sings decently and... draws funny stuff, too.

I saw in the previews that Carla was on her back in her fight with Hill. I don't know how she got there but I doubt Hill took her down and most likely either stuffed a takedown and shrugged Esparza off or put her there with strikes. Either scenario does not bode well for Carla. Mix that in with an article someone posted here from someone giving their thoughts on TUF that indicated Carla was eliminated - then I make my prediction based off of that.

But she could win and get through but it doesn't look good in my eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing their fight.

Lol if Hill beat Esparza, that's an even bigger upset than the last one we saw. Hill seems like a really cool chick and she's from NY so I wouldn't be averse.

She's sort of an unknown commodity given that she has only one fight. It isn't much to judge her off but it's clear she was given bottom seed because of it, which is a shame.

She's sort of an unknown commodity given that she has only one fight. It isn't much to judge her off but it's clear she was given bottom seed because of it, which is a shame.

or a blessing when you think about it. Just like Markos, she has a huge opportunity to make an instant name for herself. And with little knowledge or expectations of her, she has an element of surprise.

Her fight with Stephanie Skinner didn't show much for her until she could open up with some strikes a minute or so into round 2. Skinner is 2-5 and doesn't have a background in any combat sports, she just wanted to be a fighter. Skinner has been improving over the few years she has been fighting though, it has been fun to watch her evolution but Hill's win wasn't all that impressive.

Hill has looked very good in her other none MMA fights. Very capable standup.

Her fight with Stephanie Skinner didn't show much for her until she could open up with some strikes a minute or so into round 2. Skinner is 2-5 and doesn't have a background in any combat sports, she just wanted to be a fighter. Skinner has been improving over the few years she has been fighting though, it has been fun to watch her evolution but Hill's win wasn't all that impressive.

Hill has looked very good in her other none MMA fights. Very capable standup.

I guess that serves to add to the mystery that surrounds Hill. I've seen that she has good stand up although I'm not sure it's at the level of say JoJo. I'm just intrigued to see her fight and see how she does - especially against Esparza.

I guess that serves to add to the mystery that surrounds Hill. I've seen that she has good stand up although I'm not sure it's at the level of say JoJo. I'm just intrigued to see her fight and see how she does - especially against Esparza.

Understood. I'm interested in seeing what happens there too. I think there are about two to three people with better standup then Hill and that is good company to be named in that number. I have some hope that we will eventually see a good striking war between some of the better strikers now in the division on this season's TUF.

or a blessing when you think about it. Just like Markos, she has a huge opportunity to make an instant name for herself. And with little knowledge or expectations of her, she has an element of surprise.

Her coach said (I think it was Gilbert...damn team colors) that he thought Angela Hill should've been ranked higher.

I think she can make it far.

Although I agree with that Jim Rockford guy that none of these ladies are ready for Gadelha.

preview for episode 2, posted by Arkain2K in the fantasy league thread...

[YT]So5u0sNvpHw[/YT]

team photos, posted by Arkain2K in the fantasy thread. thanks Arkain2K! :cool:

BxS8lfFIEAAPaOl.jpg:large

TEAM PETTIS (Left to Right): Justine Kish, Jessica Penne, Alex Chambers, Felice Herrig, Coach Anthony Pettis, Carla Esparza, Aisling Daly, Joanne Calderwood, Randa Markos

BxUeJEdIcAA5J6E.jpg:large

TEAM MELENDEZ (Left to Right): Bec Rawlings, Rose Namajunas, Tecia Torres, Angela Hill, Coach Gilbert Melendez, Heather Jo Clark, Lisa Ellis, Angela Magana, Emily Kagan

Thanks for posting. Gotta love Jojo.

love the carrot cake after i beat you up quote. :wink::icon_lol:

still not sure what to make of the way dana white says "fight's over", though.

Back