“We don’t do gimmick fights” - Dana White

I would preffer a few "gimmick fights" to title fights clearly being booked based on popularity not achievement.

Something like Nate/Street Jesus was perfectly fine as a main event, didnt really need the silly made up belt.

I think you're right.

Also... I sure as hell don't care if the UFC offers up a freak fight from time to time...

I don't think it takes away from the "sport" in any way.

For all intents and purposes,, Brock was a "freak fight" that evolved into a Champion.... Ya never know.
I don't mind it either, but I'd respect it if they owned up to what they do, not say they don't do things and then do them without any thought the moment the opportunity arises. Maybe that's business though, idk.

also, i don't know why people think BMF is a gimmick fight. it's not. Dustin Poirer and Gaethje are legitimate fighters and top contenders. the belt is the gimmick, not the fight. if you want to talk about gimmick fights then people should bring up Couture vs James Toney, CM Punk fiasco, hell even Brock Lesnar.

true

also, i don't know why people think BMF is a gimmick fight. it's not. Dustin Poirer and Gaethje are legitimate fighters and top contenders. the belt is the gimmick, not the fight. if you want to talk about gimmick fights then people should bring up Couture vs James Toney, CM Punk fiasco, hell even Brock Lesnar.
<mma4>

CM Punk, Zuckerberg vs Musk, Slap fighting, BMF belt... Yeah no gimmicks at all lol

The thing is. Musk and zuck are 10x bigger than dana and the UFC, why would they need him to promote their fights? Stream it on facebook and twitter and it will get a billion views.
for the production value and athletic legitimacy.

Also musk tried to stream the DeSantis announcement and failed.

+

View attachment 988415

The Ultimate Fighting Circus rolls on..

Double Champ status is a gimmick. It's a one-and-done. No one can possibly defend two titles at once for obvious reasons. Hence, a fighter is stripped once they've won. Nunes held on to a belt that she defended once, I think. Was it Meghan Anderson? Anyway, no one was in that weight class! Korean Zombie fights are gimmick fights, at this advanced stage in his career, for sure. (They want him to die in the Octagon or what?)

#1 Contender Petr Yan vs. #13 (at the time fight was announced, later became #11) Sean O'Malley may not have been exactly a "gimmick" fight per se. However, it was an obvious bout the UFC wanted in order to expedite their popular guy to superstar status. Otherwise, the fight makes no sense for Yan to even fathom. He could have fought Vera a month earlier until Cruz came along. Interesting that no one seems to have taken an interest in Suga's claim that Yan was "bullied" into the fight. Hopefully, my guy (NO MERCY, no matter what he does!) got a big check for going along with it.

The mere IDEA of Fury vs. Jones in any kind of fight under the UFC banner is a GIMMICK! Does anyone want to see this shit? Dumbass Dana wants Jones to "fight somebody"? Anyone not named Sergei Pavlovich, I take it. No Stipe (good), no Fury (great), so just ignore Pavlovich (WTF!?) and dopey Jones closes shop for 2023?! Is he retiring after winning the HW title by getting the softest opponent he could get?

The UFC-WWE merger makes perfect sense. Where's a Ted Turner-type of billionaire to come in and buy-out current top UFC talent and reel-in top prospects so there's a true alternative to this UFC blob that doesn't take what fans want into consideration?

Deep down I think he knows this is the most ridiculous thing in mma history but if the UFC doesn't do it and make all the $$$ it will generate, then another organization will.
For the hardcores, it washes down the product even more than it already is. But for the general population it's a good business move, can't fault them for that.

It is a bit insulting though that Dana won't just admit it's a gimmick fight, as if we're too stupid to already know that it is

cm-punk-wwe.gif

Dana booked this fight, twice.

and then blamed and mocked his opponent, the pro-fighter, for "not taking it seriously" and finishing Punk.

upload_2023-6-27_10-44-52.png

To do this day I find that offensive.

Back