Media 11 years ago, George St-pierre defeated Nick Diaz in a highly anticipated fight.

Nick Diaz was super dangerous at that time. His run in Strikeforce was nuts, he had good hands and freakish cardio. Condit fought a really smart and evasive fight to get the decision before this, but I was still worried as a GSP fan. Then GSP did what he always does and executed perfectly and just nullified him. That version of Nick Diaz was a problem though, way better than any version of Nate we saw.
It's actually amazing how many times you were wrong in that post.

Crazy...11 years ago already, i remember back then it made a big hype and was highly anticipated in Montreal, since Nick Diaz was the Strikeforce champion back then if i remember correctly.

Surprised it was only 11 years ago. Seems way longer

I actually went to a bar to watch this fight and thats the last one I went out for. Had some great times at bww but its not really even worth going out for fights anymore.

Super undeserved title shot. This was not highly anticipated by me and was clearly written on the wall. This was after Carlos Condit beat Nick and Nick complained about the fight. This was Nick Diaz third fight upon his return. Looked great against BJ, looked horrible against Carlos and was gifted title shot he didn't deserve, complained during the lead up, complained after losing.
I was very confused about the "highly anticipated" part of the thread title. Your summary is much closer to how I remember it.

GOAT St Pierre showing Diaz he had no business in the cage with him. Complete mismatch. GSP would have beat Nick and Nate in the same night.

anybody else feels old. i remember this like yesterday. this event was also when Dana started Hating and turning
on Ariel helwani !
oh oh and I remember vowing to never take Nick serious ever again after this fight , thats how annoyed/ embarrassed i was.

This was the stage setting for money fights. No one here seriously gave Diaz a chance except edgy posters who probably posted "upset alert threads" every main event. Purists hated how Diaz got the title shot off a lost to Condit. It was a spectacular waste of time. Nick was sitting out of MMA unless they gave him big names, which he lost all of them. Really sad because Nick could've put on some great fights if he stayed and fought mid level guys, but he only wanted the best. Nate was only a shadow of Nick at the time, and now is a bigger name because he stuck with it.

Nick Diaz, what an amazing fighter.

I would never have missed any of his fights. Love the guy.

And funnily enough GSP shut down Diaz with boxing (mostly his jab) while that's supposed to be one of Diaz' strengths.

I never understood the "Diaz bros have good boxing" mantra. They spam a shitload of 1-2 and very little else. Head movement, footwork, timing and distance control are, well, sadly in need of work. They both can throw volume for days on end without slowing down but that is a tribute to exceptional cardio.

No need to post an example of a Diaz throwing an uppercut or something equally foolish. I said "little else" not "never anything else."

Which one was a bigger snoozer, GSP vs Diaz or Diaz vs Condit?

It was a dominating performance by GSP who also didn't take any risk for a finish. It was embarrassing for Diaz really.
As much as I was hoping for a fun fight, I knew Diaz had nothing for him at all very quickly.

Which one was a bigger snoozer, GSP vs Diaz or Diaz vs Condit?
Diaz 1,2,5. GSP brought the fight to Diaz. Condit backpedaled and ran throwing baby leg jabs and had a few exchanges in between just to throw him off.

It's still ridiculous that Nick got this fight coming off a loss and Hendricks had to face another top contender.

This was almost the original Tony vs Khabib, many thought Nick was gonna be the one to dethrone George or have the best shot at beating George, the fight had numerous pushbacks and cancellations and by the time the fight did happen it was disappointing because Nick got his ass whooped

GSP was so fucking boring once he got the belt back. But it made sense after Serra slept him so easily.

@mods

To whichever mod who started reading my posts lately.. Can you stop?

I'm getting posts deleted for "quoting a deleted post" and seeing others quote the exact post, on the exact same page, remain standing, from the posters you scroll by.

Then today my post gets deleted, with no alert or reasoning, and the guy quoting the deleted post is still on here.

Please go back to ignoring me.

Last edited:
I was not impressed with his performance that night

gspwraps_zps2c2dae81.jpg

sus

Back