2017: The year I've become a MMA casual

there are always going to be stretches of lameness. remember when tito ducked chuck forever or randy held up the division for a million years? aside from the :eek::eek::eek:gy ducking champs and money fight/conor nonsense, its been pretty goddamn good this year i think.

There had been some pretty good events this year but I agree it feels like a circus and not really a sport anymore.

T.s I would say just watch the big exciting events you are interested in and do better things with your time
i would say the opposite. the big events are the circusy shit usually. that china card was fucking awesome and none of us had heard of any of those guys.

I’ve been a huge fan for a long time but I must admit some of these cards lately .i can barely be bothered to even sit through them all. There’s just virtually no names on them.

I record them all prelim to main but like this one last night, I find myself fast forwarding some of it at times .
There are still some cards I get pumped for from top to bottom but they are few and far between these days.

Interim belts. This guy ducking that guy. Fighters holding out for money fights. Champions being stripped of belts. Champions not being stripped of belts. MMA fighters wanting to box. Weak PPV cards. Introducing new divisions that no one cares about. Building a division with only 3 fighters. Fighters missing weight. Fighters failing drug tests. UFC not building new stars. The old breed fading away.

I reckon about this time next year I'll forget about MMA altogether.

not every division like this.

The fights are still fun to watch but i'm never really a fan of anyone these days.

I used to cancel dates and skip parties if there's a fight on.

Now i just read play by play on my mobile and wait for gifs and shoops on sherdog.

Conor has caused many longtime fans to become completely disillusioned with the sport. He's completely killed the competitive spirit of the sport with his cherry picking, ducking and dodging and bullshit antics. He's inflicted the sport with a virus that's spread to the point of other so called champions avoiding the most deserving challengers in pursuit of 'money fights.'

What absolute bollocks.

How many 'money fights' has there being? I say Conor v Diaz II and Bisping v GSP.

Let's look at the divisions and their Champions;

HW - not really many options there. Miocic wanted to fight Joshua in a boxing match, but that was never going to happen. Cormier has fought at HW but has never expressed a strong interest in going back up for a 'super fight'

LHW - see above.

MW - Bisping v GSP made no sense - but when money is involved, it's a no brainer for the UFC.

WW - Woodley has probably being the most vocal of the current Champions looking for a fight that will generate him the most money. I think he's aware he's not a draw, thus trying to book himself a fight to co-main 202. And he got to fight on 205 where I'm assuming he got PPV points. How many 'super fights' has he had? Zilch.

LW - yeah, I'd say Conor held up FW, or more Holloway's chance at a title shot. Folk seem to have short memories and forget it was dos Anjos he was supposed to fight before he got injured and there was no short offers of other fighters wanting to fill in. People also forget he didn't pull out of 189 - and without having to bring up his PPV numbers and all the other stuff outside the cage - I think people are kidding themselves if they don't understand why the UFC give him some special treatment, like the 2nd Diaz fight, which a lot of the HARDCORE FANS were certain he was going to be smoked with Diaz on a full camp.

Fight didn't make sense in the name of sport, but that's potentially another fight that will create big interest. Ferguson next is the most logical fight.

FW - Holloway can't get the UFC to go to Hawaii, never mind asking to fight outside of the division. There was some back and forth on Twitter between him and Conor, but he has Edgar next, imo, and Conor v Ferguson.

BW - Dillashaw was given the green light to fight Johnson while he was waiting for Garbrandt to recover and is still pursuing that fight. I don't think that fight will make a lot of money and at best will scrape past the required PPV buys needed for fighters to earn PPV points.

FLW - Johnson has run out of opponents (unless the Dillashaw fight happens) and is probably asking the UFC to pay him more. They might point out that he doesn't attract a big audience. However, a lot of fans moan that fighters don't get paid enough or, in this case, Johnson is 'ducking Dillashaw'.

Just because a fighter asks for a 'super fight' it doesn't mean it's going to happen. I bet I could find more fighters who probably didn't deserve a title shot than actual 'super/money fights'

Interim belts. This guy ducking that guy. Fighters holding out for money fights. Champions being stripped of belts. Champions not being stripped of belts. MMA fighters wanting to box. Weak PPV cards. Introducing new divisions that no one cares about. Building a division with only 3 fighters. Fighters missing weight. Fighters failing drug tests. UFC not building new stars. The old breed fading away.

Feelsbadmaine

I’m in same boat

I blame the ufc and entitled little brat Connor the non champ

Usada, wmma, moneyfights, fighters parting ways and watered down cards - it's not easy to get pumped up for a card nowadays. I barely watched last night's card.

The fights are still fun to watch but i'm never really a fan of anyone these days.

I used to cancel dates and skip parties if there's a fight on.

Now i just read play by play on my mobile and wait for gifs and shoops on sherdog.
At least you grt dates lol

I'll never stop watching MMA. Just love the sport too damn much..

If you watched the UFC through the dark ages like I did, you'd appreciate what you have now more than you do...
Remember there were no prelims only Pride showed all their fights

So casual that I post on mma forums....

Interim belts - true, this is a nonsense. If the champion does not defend in 8 months, he should be stripped. Even for medical reasons. Number 1 contender and no 2 fight for the title.

Ducking - true, rankings should be created by criterias as: the number of fights per year, the wins, the type of wins, strikes, takedowns, TDD etc...

Money fights - you can thank Conor for that

New divisions - this is simple, don't watch them

Missing weight - this is not new

Failing drug tests - also, not new at all

New stars - in my opinion, guys like Ortega, Wonderboy, Till, Luke could be marketed better
Platinum Mike is all they need, just promote that motherfucker.

If your thread title includes "I" and it's not a quote from someone else, go fuck yourself. imho.

Back