2022 Motor racing thread

Ferrari remains a major disappointment. No idea what the hell that was today. That car is supposed to be faster.
In the cool down room was pretty funny. As the podium sitters were watching the highlights, Lewis asked “they were on the hards??!!” Russ and max laughed, like “yeah!!” Too funny.

I was correct. Ferrari are pathetic. I think Mercedes could have left Hamilton out longer on the first set of tires and done one stop with possibly a chance to win. They still did well to take second and third. Red Bull won by undercut.

You called it! It’s sad how hilariously predictable Ferrari has become.

Mercedes remaining consistent. They just need to get more power out of their motors to really challenge for wins. They’ve gotten closer, but the performance of Red Bull is still out of reach. Ferrari is just their own worst enemy. They can’t strategize for shit!

Ferrari made the wrong call, but this race was more about an incredible drive from Max IMO. Coming from 10th to score a genuine spin-and-win on pure speed alone, that kind of pace isn't something that you'd expect to be dealing with as a rival. So yes, Ferrari dropped the ball in the way they responded to Verstappen, but Verstappen being there in the first place is far more significant to me.

Alonso to Aston Martin! Big move.

Seems like that will open the door for Oscar Piastri to join Alpine next year.

Wonder what that will mean for the Williams seat he was rumoured to be taking.

Kind of foolish of Alpine to announce a driver that they don't have under contract. At the very least it gives the driver a chance to negotiate for a better deal.

This is funny. So seems oscar is close to signing or signing with mclaren now that Danny ric is retiring. But alpine seem to think since oscar is a test driver, they have him under contract.

This is funny. So seems oscar is close to signing or signing with mclaren now that Danny ric is retiring. But alpine seem to think since oscar is a test driver, they have him under contract.

There seems to be some confusion over the contract. Some are saying that Alpine had an option that had to be taken by the end of July. Others are saying that the contract allowed Oscar to get out of it if he got a ride with another team and Alpine couldn't guarantee him a seat.

It seems that many racing drivers are at odds with their teams. Colton Herta is looking at moving to F1 from Indycar but he only wants to go to a Ferrari backed team.

NASCAR as always, has many drivers in flux and Tyler Reddick who has a contract through 2023 signed with a different team for the 2024 season.

There seems to be some confusion over the contract. Some are saying that Alpine had an option that had to be taken by the end of July. Others are saying that the contract allowed Oscar to get out of it if he got a ride with another team and Alpine couldn't guarantee him a seat.

It seems that many racing drivers are at odds with their teams. Colton Herta is looking at moving to F1 from Indycar but he only wants to go to a Ferrari backed team.

NASCAR as always, has many drivers in flux and Tyler Reddick who has a contract through 2023 signed with a different team for the 2024 season.[/QUOTE

Feel bad for Childress. Reddick is a top 5 talent that outperforms his teammate Dillon routinely and is jumping ship for more money. Can't fault him for it but I've been enjoying watching him succeed with an underdog team.

Crazy crash on the first lap in the Formula E race posted on the Racing Clips YouTube channel.

Danny Ric just put something on IG and confirmed that he's leaving (pushed) from McLaren for next year and looking for a seat.

I hope he got his pay out and he can pay off his purchase of Tasmania if for some reason, he's still got money owing on it

Cats out of the bag with Daniel gone. Might be a good chance of more announcements over the weekend. The "obvious" scenario being Piastri to McLaren and Ricciardo to Alpine, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute certainty.

Gravel traps are back at Spa this weekend too, as well as changes to the barrier and runoff at Radillion.

On a different topic, Kimi Raikonnen raced in NASCAR this weekend gone. It's been a while since I've watched a NASCAR road course race and I didn't realise how bad things had gotten - the coverage was horrifically bad and the race nigh on impossible to follow. Trying to make sense of it all was like brain damage. How can they make something as simple as motor racing into the absurdly complex and convoluted mess that they have?

On a different topic, Kimi Raikonnen raced in NASCAR this weekend gone. It's been a while since I've watched a NASCAR road course race and I didn't realise how bad things had gotten - the coverage was horrifically bad and the race nigh on impossible to follow. Trying to make sense of it all was like brain damage. How can they make something as simple as motor racing into the absurdly complex and convoluted mess that they have?

Kimi was lost at Watkins Glen. NASCAR doesn't even make them stay on the track. The television coverage is pretty bad especially on road course races. They usually only show the front running cars and don't really explain the strategy used on road courses to those not familiar with it. Because they won't lose a lap on a pit stop, it's advantageous to stop before a caution comes out. Only the top 10 get points at the end of each stage so anybody not in the top 10 wants to stop before the stage ends so they will start ahead of the cars that finish in the top 10. Many that are in the top 10 will also stop before the stage ends so they don't get trapped in the pack for the start of the next stage. Unlike Formula One, there are many cars on the track that are very close in speed so they often go into the corners two, three or four wide. The result is many cautions and restarts.

Kimi was lost at Watkins Glen. NASCAR doesn't even make them stay on the track. The television coverage is pretty bad especially on road course races. They usually only show the front running cars and don't really explain the strategy used on road courses to those not familiar with it. Because they won't lose a lap on a pit stop, it's advantageous to stop before a caution comes out. Only the top 10 get points at the end of each stage so anybody not in the top 10 wants to stop before the stage ends so they will start ahead of the cars that finish in the top 10. Many that are in the top 10 will also stop before the stage ends so they don't get trapped in the pack for the start of the next stage. Unlike Formula One, there are many cars on the track that are very close in speed so they often go into the corners two, three or four wide. The result is many cautions and restarts.

I'm familiar with the ins and outs of NASCAR, as well as the race strategies used. It's the broadcast that did such a woeful job of keeping track of who's doing what. Perfect example is AJ Allmendinger. Punted off in the first few laps, comes back to finish 2nd. That should have been a great drive to follow, instead we get nothing. How did he drive from last to 2nd? If you leave it up to the broadcast, you'd never know.

…aaaaand Ferrari put the wrong tires on Leclerc’s car. SMH
I honestly was baffled when I saw him come out with a fresh set. And then he gets on the radio. They still had time to pull him in. But I guess it’s medium and hards for the race.

max was fast. I expect him to move up. Probably to a podium spot. I wouldn’t be surprised with a win honestly.

Back