Media 4 x World's Strongest Man is trying mma

But those wsm guys wouldnt make a olympic podium either. The difference is olympic powerlifters do feats that everyone in the world does, like clean and jerk and snatch. Who the hell trains throwing a keg or power stairs or loading rocks onto a truck. Some are more endurance than strength. Im not saying those guys are weak, they are absolute monsters, im critizing the games and events at the wsm competitions. Why dont we have just a few strength events and they can see who’s stronger in specific events. Like hafthor has the worlds record for deadlift, he beat eddie hall by 1kg. Thats actually measurable and a popular lift people do, nobody throws a log lol.

I disagree. There’s not a lot of money in powerlifting and Olympic lifting. That’s why they start out as power lifters and Olympic lifters and transition to strongman. Savickas and Gary Taylor were world class Olympic lifters, that transitioned to strong man. Hall and the Mountain could obviously be competitive in powerlifting. Again, I think the money and prestige drive the athletes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

View attachment 1006629

well again, it’s worth a shot. Developing a large MMA skill set is hard, especially at his age. But that height is a big advantage in slap, I would think. He’s as tall as LeBron James.
U can argue that shaq and hong man choi would be good at power slap because of their height alone. They weight about 350 too.

I disagree. There’s not a lot of money in powerlifting and Olympic lifting. That’s why they start out as power lifters and Olympic lifters and transition to strongman. Savickas and Gary Taylor were world class Olympic lifters, that transitioned to strong man. Hall and the Mountain could obviously be competitive in powerlifting. Again, I think the money and prestige drive the athletes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.
But winning a gold is more difficult, many countries compete in it, plus getting a gold in powerlifting is a powerlifters dream. Getting a gold in wrestling is huge, but lots of failed wrestlers go into mma, it doesnt mean they are better wrestlers because they make more money.

But winning a gold is more difficult, many countries compete in it, plus getting a gold in powerlifting is a powerlifters dream. Getting a gold in wrestling is huge, but lots of failed wrestlers go into mma, it doesnt mean they are better wrestlers because they make more money.

again, these guys changed course when the were world class in powerlifting and Olympic lifting. Especially powerlifting, Reinhoudt, Kazmaier, and Henry are the greatest powerlifters ever. Taylor won silver in Olympic lifting. But they need to make money. The difference is you have to specialize now, more than ever. Never say never but I doubt you will see a guy like Kazmaier again. First man to achieve 2400 in powerlifting and won 3 consecutive WSM competitions.

If Pride was around, he could be one of those freaks that gets annihilated for the crowds pleasure.

Shaw is a nice dude and an incredible athlete, I'm sure he's just going to fight a couple fat guys for exposure and media attention while training. He's aged out of Strongman I think.

again, these guys changed course when the were world class in powerlifting and Olympic lifting. Especially powerlifting, Reinhoudt, Kazmaier, and Henry are the greatest powerlifters ever. Taylor won silver in Olympic lifting. But they need to make money. The difference is you have to specialize now, more than ever. Never say never but I doubt you will see a guy like Kazmaier again. First man to achieve 2400 in powerlifting and won 3 consecutive WSM competitions.
Im not saying these guys arent strong, im saying the event and strength games they play are so random, nobody else does it. If they narrowed it to specific events life powerlifting, there would be other competitors who could beat them, but calling them the worlds strongest man is just not accurate. World’s most powerful keg thrower, ok.

its like being the best at extremely weird sports that nobody does. It seems like wsm is like a traveling show to put on feats of strength, and less of a competition.

Im not saying these guys arent strong, im saying the event and strength games they play are so random, nobody else does it. If they narrowed it to specific events life powerlifting, there would be other competitors who could beat them, but calling them the worlds strongest man is just not accurate. World’s most powerful keg thrower, ok.

its like being the best at extremely weird sports that nobody does. It seems like wsm is like a traveling show to put on feats of strength, and less of a competition.

because powerlifting is boring to most people. Seeing 2 guys flip two cars in the fastest time, or pull a dump truck is amazing. It highlights just how strong they are to regular people. Are there some obscure lifts, sure, but that also makes it challenging to the competitors. They can’t practice everything.

because powerlifting is boring to most people. Seeing 2 guys flip two cars in the fastest time, or pull a dump truck is amazing. It highlights just how strong they are to regular people. Are there some obscure lifts, sure, but that also makes it challenging to the competitors. They can’t practice everything.
Yeah but if they had a pullups competition they would all look bad cause theres guys at my gym who can do 20+ and the worlds strongest men can barely muster 5.

and having challenges that nobody can practice just proves its arbitrary strength tests, i can’t bench as much as my friend, but i can squeeze a beer cap in half with 2 fingers and he could never. I guess i have a stronger grip but he has a stronger bench press, so who’s stronger? He can deadlift 300lbs, i can do 30 dips and he cant do 10 normal ones. So am i stronger?

Yeah but if they had a pullups competition they would all look bad cause theres guys at my gym who can do 20+ and the worlds strongest men can barely muster 5.

and having challenges that nobody can practice just proves its arbitrary strength tests, i can’t bench as much as my friend, but i can squeeze a beer cap in half with 2 fingers and he could never. I guess i have a stronger grip but he has a stronger bench press, so who’s stronger? He can deadlift 300lbs, i can do 30 dips and he cant do 10 normal ones. So am i stronger?

It’s competition on dynamic and static strength. There are shitty at sit ups too, but how many people can lift a 450 lb stone? You can have the last word. haha, c’mon impress us with some more of your expertise. They can’t do a handstand, right? How pitiful.

oh, and your friend that can deadlift more than you is stronger. But you might be able to beat him in a foot race, congrats.

It’s competition on dynamic and static strength. There are shitty at sit ups too, but how many people can lift a 450 lb stone? You can have the last word. haha, c’mon impress us with some more of your expertise. They can’t do a handstand, right? How pitiful.
Just sayin the competition is somewhat odd. Their competitions are more like a show to display cool strength feats.

Mark henry could bend a quarter, and twist a spoon. Havent seen halfthor do that yet. So whos stronger? Lol

No he’s stronger at deadlifts, but i can do more dips.

He’s stronger because he can move more weight. You’re better at handling your body weight. Gymnasts and CrossFit folks can do hundreds of pull-ups and dips. But they are not the best at moving large objects. They are shorter, smaller and have a good strength to weight ratio. But they aren’t stronger. And Mark Henry was a power lifter and a strong man. And still good at Olympic lifts. A true one of kind strength athlete.

The only opponents for him are other strongmen/bodybuilders in some sort of openweight division, and thats fine. I don't know why everyone is analyzing it like he's going to try to cut to 265 and make a run in the UFC, that isn't happening.

If he doesn't lose any weight he's gonna blow up and get TKOd due to exhaustion if he can't smash his opponent inside of two minutes.

Reminds me of when Pudz came in at 300lbs to fight Sylvia and just turned purple ans collapsed cos his body couldn't support that mass for an MMA fight so he lost about 50lbs for his next fights. And Pudz was thought of as having good cardio for a strongman.

54f87-16071966005551-800.jpg

Why is there a weight limit for heavyweight?

I don't know the reason but it encouraged some fatt guys like Hunt, Nelson, Black Beast etc to not balloon over 300lbs which you know they would if there was no limit.

It's not like UFC missed out on any legit fighters cos of the limit. There's not really anyone legit in any other combat sport like boxing or K1 who couldn't make the limit unless you want to pick a one off like Valuev.

He should fight 4 125ers in a grappling only match

He grabs anyone, its over! lol

Back