5 Mic Albums Only

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Which One is your Fav.

Source 5 Mic Albums. These are God Tier Albums

Albums that originally received five mics:

I would go with Outkast Aquemini over everyone else but would take Scarface The Fix next.

Illmatic is classic

Surprised that biggie album got 5 mics there’s a lot of filler in there

Illmatic is classic

Surprised that biggie album got 5 mics there’s a lot of filler in there

Yeah Biggie Life or Death never seen like a classic to me but it was his best work and had some of the best word play ever with Hypotize

I'd go with Low End Theory or Let the Rhythm Hit Em

There isn’t a single album on there I would vote for.

What’s the source, who does these “five mic” album ratings? Worldstar??

There isn’t a single album on there I would vote for.

What’s the source, who does these “five mic” album ratings? Worldstar??

What is the Source? Source Magazine. They were the judges of rap albums in the 90s. Before XXL and Internet.

snoop.jpg

I see now, you need to edit the op to explain this only rates HIP HOP albums, from a hip hop mag, the source.

I would have avoided the thread altogether if you had been upfront with the genre rated.

Fucking click bait man, not cool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source#The_Source's_Five-Mic_albums

My bad. I thought the 5 Mics thing is common known thing. 5 Mic is what they gave the best albums at the time. Most got 4 or 4 and half. 5 meant Instant Classic.

My bad. I thought the 5 Mics thing is common known thing. 5 Mic is what they gave the best albums at the time. Most got 4 or 4 and half. 5 meant Instant Classic.
No problem, but you have to realize , that common thing would only be common knowledge to people into that genre heavily enough to know what the hell source magazine was.

For the general public I bet less than 1% have any idea what that is.

Kinda of like anime fans thinking “Shonen Jump” would be a commonly known mag to the rest of the world not into anime.

It just isn’t outside of its own genre

Nas illmatic
Most of those albums on the list are trash
Lol at anything ice cube

Last edited:
Illmatic is the best here. I prefer Ready to Die to Life After Death, surprised it got a 5.

People's Instincts is my second favourite hip hop album of all time, so Tribe for me.

Also fuck the source, they were on some bullyshit the whole time, their reviews were based on personal opinion a lot of the time. Some of those albums aren't even two stars and some bonifide classics only got three. Fuck The Source

Tribe
Tribe
De La

Where's "Dark Side of the Moon"?

What about

BlackStar
The Chronic
Paul’s Boutique
BlackStar I would cosign. Lyrically The Chronic does not deserve 5 mic IMO.

Never heard Paul's Boutique. But again, Beastie Boys were never known for their lyricism.

Of the albums in OP I would have to pick Illmatic. Though I feel that list is on some bullshit. A Lil' Kim album got 5 mics?

Back