5 Mic Albums Only

Illmatic. And LMAO at The Naked Truth being a “God Tier album”

Also The Source is a terrible magazine.

I would put Face's the diary over the fix.
From that list I would choose Cube's Amerikkkas Most.

People's Instincts is my second favourite hip hop album of all time, so Tribe for me.

Also fuck the source, they were on some bullyshit the whole time, their reviews were based on personal opinion a lot of the time. Some of those albums aren't even two stars and some bonifide classics only got three. Fuck The Source

Why hate the Source. They was better than XXL or King

It basically ended up being Benzino’s opinion on hip hop/Benzino’s ways to extort rappers. He was known to trade good reviews for money or guest features. Plus he gave that Made Men album he put out 4.5 mics which is actually kind of funny. Then the whole feud with Shady/Intersope/Aftermath/G-Unit and dickriding of Murder Inc. and the corpse of Death Row or Tha Row or whatever they ended up calling themselves came off as wildly lame/unacceptable for a once respected magazine.

XXL wasn’t any better because they did the exact opposite when it came to picking sides between Shady/Interscope/Aftermath/G-Unit and Murder Inc. and Tha Row. Nothing quite as lame as two rap magazines feuding. And KING wasnt even really a rap magazine it was owned by XXL and was basically a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition but with video hoes.

Last edited:
Say what we will about Ma$e era, I love this:

You mean, which ones sucked 5 mics? The answer is all of them.

Off that list it would be Amerikkas Most Wanted even tho I think Death Certificate is better.
Also Tha Dogg Pound-Dogg Food is criminally underrated and needs to be mentioned when talking about the best westcoast albums

What is the Source? Source Magazine. They were the judges of rap albums in the 90s. Before XXL and Internet.

snoop.jpg
I remember buying that issue from 7-11 on my lunch break in Grade 9 lol

I also think De La's third album is great.

Off that list it would be Amerikkas Most Wanted even tho I think Death Certificate is better.
Also Tha Dogg Pound-Dogg Food is criminally underrated and needs to be mentioned when talking about the best westcoast albums
Nice.

Oh and can’t forget Public Enemy-It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

It basically ended up being Benzino’s opinion on hip hop/Benzino’s ways to extort rappers. He was known to trade good reviews for money or guest features. Plus he gave that Made Men album he put out 4.5 mics which is actually kind of funny. Then the whole feud with Shady/Intersope/Aftermath/G-Unit and dickriding of Murder Inc. and the corpse of Death Row or Tha Row or whatever they ended up calling themselves came off as wildly lame/unacceptable for a once respected magazine.

Benzino and The Source are still the biggest morons ever for trying to beef with Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit for apparently no reason except Benzino trying to make a name for himself. I mean, you had Dre, legendary rap producer, Eminem, the biggest selling rapper in the world at the time, and 50 Cent who had the hottest album in streets. XXL saw an opportunity and seized it because they had been calling The Source wack for years due to Benzino's involvement. I'll never forget picking up The Source and see Made Men with a 4 page spread and a 4.5 Mic Rating.

But hey, the beef gave us one of the most brutal disses in hip hop history.

Objectively Illmatic. Life After Death only got 5 mics cause biggie died.

Also puffy had biggie killed change my mind j/k you can't

Well we didn't have many options back in those days, we had HHC in the UK but the Source is where it was at. And they knew it, and they abused that status at times.
Phat tape and unsigned hype were always dope though, I have a book of all the hip hop quotables they used to do

The chronic was a game changer type of album though. Incredible west coast beats that influenced countless artists to come.

And I always thought the Beastie Boys were known for their lyrics and hot beats.
Admittedly I am a newjack (Wu-Tang Forever got me into hiphop) but I find it hard to relate to the simplistic lyrical style pre-mid-90s. Maybe Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane and Rakim, but beyond them, a lot of guys sound basic.

But I can acknowledge the impact at the time was probably much different than in hindsight lacking the historical context.

Back