A look back at how amazing Prime Shogun was!

Then he came to the UFC and got exposed.

Revisionist history. Stop being obtuse, it's unbecoming.

Others who were fading at the same time as Shogun: Liddell, Hughes, Fedor, Nogueira, Penn, etc.. etc... had nothing to do with coming to the UFC.

Revisionist history. Stop being obtuse, it's unbecoming.

Others who were fading at the same time as Shogun: Liddell, Hughes, Fedor, Nogueira, Penn, etc.. etc... had nothing to do with coming to the UFC.

He came to the UFC in his mid 20s.... Not like he was 35 or something. He's 6-8 in the UFC, I'd say that's exposed after many had him as the #1 LHW on Earth.

He came to the UFC in his mid 20s.... Not like he was 35 or something. He's 6-8 in the UFC, I'd say that's exposed after many had him as the #1 LHW on Earth.

People do not age at the same rate, especially when knee surgeries are involved. Not to mention the Chute Boxe system.

He was exposed to injuries, new rules, and being wartorn. Doesn't mean those losses don't count. It means you just know less about MMA and MMA history than you think.

4hsdxv.jpg

uj1493y.gif

Yes so amazing

Those amazing hooks

And submission loss to choke master Chael

His "prime" looked much the same
[
not sure if shogun fucked your girlfriend or something, but you missed an important distinction. Namely 5+ years and a bunch of knee surgeries.

That said, Jon Jones beats the shogun of any era

not sure if shogun fucked your girlfriend or something, but you missed an important distinction. Namely 5+ years and a bunch of knee surgeries.

The mistake you made here.... assuming a sherdogger had a girlfriend for Shogun to steal.

Prime Shogun was one of the most violent P4P fighters in the history of MMA. He was always prone to getting hit, but his offensive output was so good that it usually didn't matter.

Shogun also had tremendously under-rated defense

The only fighters who ever touched up a peak Shogun were Nog...and Diabate for like 10 seconds...

In fact, if you check stats, you will see that Shogun always massively out struck his opponents and hardly ever took clean shots

Even in the gif I posted. You can see how Shogun is right there in the pocket with a PRIME Rampage and does NOT take any clean shots in their exchange. Shogun rolls Rampage's right hands, than cross face taps Rampage to occupy, uncork his guard, and set up uppercuts.

Shogun also stood with Machida for 5 rounds and in 25 mins HELD Machida to only 14 total head shots landed.

Think about that. Thats crazy.

Shogun's wear and tear on his body ALL STARTED with injuries...it was always only because of injuries.. It was never because he took shots.

How quickly its been forgetten. Shogun out Machida'd Machida when Machida was top 4 P4P

Out striking Machida every way which possible in straight up stand up affairs across 2 fights.

To this day no one has still blown Machida out like Shogun did. How many have even consistently gotten the better of Machida like Shogun did...(only Ruckhold) But Shogun achieved what he did against PRIME utmost PEAK Machida. Shogun at his peak was a true sight to behold

Shogun never got the credit he deserved for his skills and smarts

Every time Shogun wanted to fight a disciplined technical fight, Shogun did it better than all the other technical strikers who were known for it lol

Like someone else said, I really believe old school chute box
philosophies were bad for Shogun

Imagine a young healthy Shogun coming up today learning from a technical coach? Forget it, that Shogun would go on to KILL DC/Jones/Rumble

^^^ Not "ONLY" because of injuries. They just played a part. Yes he was good, great even. But his peak was fleeting because he redlined his body like so many Chute Boxe guys.

Regarding his defense
10yl0km.jpg

24nnorb.jpg

One of the things we saw leave him after 2012ish was his ability to move well in his defense. He would stand without any movement in the pocket.

shogun is by far my favourite fighter, but he is too small for Jones, even in his prime. He'd have been a killer at 185 in the UFC, which he could clearly make if he lost some weight. when he fought Machida and was in his best shape, he came in at 210 or something. he was Chael's size or slightly smaller when they fought.

also, that gif of Shogun defending against Liddell....I believe that moment encapsulated when Shogun was in his prime. It was actually in the UFC, after his first knee surgery, before he blew it again vs Machida.

Yes so amazing

3240c-jonjonesflyingkneeagainstshogunrua1.gif

jon-jones_mauricio-rua.jpg

shovhendo.gif

Those amazing hooks
5mT63zC.gif

And submission loss to choke master Chael
11111.gif

His "prime" looked much the same
nogdropsshogun.gif

go fuck yourself.

a person who does not think shogun is an all time GOAT, is a noob who started watching mma in 2013

That said, Jon Jones beats the shogun of any era

Pound for pound wise, Shogun was def way more skilled and more talented than Jones

Jones will just always be a bad match up for Shogun because of Jones massive size adavantages over Shogun

BUT....let us remember that IN A RING, elbows on the ground were NOT allowed....

In a RING, im taking 2005 GP Shogun over any Jones any day.

Shogun cuts the ring off on Jones, traps him in the corner and overwhelms him. Jones has terrible boxing and in a ring that would come to light more....

The cage allows inferior strikers to run/create more space/and win etc

go fuck yourself.

a person who does not think shogun is an all time GOAT, is a noob who started watching mma in 2013

Could you go ahead and NOT quote all the pics? Killing my phone speed, lol.

Pound for pound wise, Shogun was def way more skilled and more talented than Jones

I understand you have an opinion but you have to stop saying this stuff. It just makes you sound dumb and causes fights, because you say it like it's objective.

Also, you wouldn't happen to be diagnosed as manic, would you?

Pride Shogun was soooo good. Yeah. I miss that.

I think he was so well suited to Pride (ring, less wrestling, minimal weight cutting).

Pride Shogun was soooo good. Yeah. I miss that.

I think he was so well suited to Pride (ring, less wrestling, minimal weight cutting).

I honestly can't believe you left out grounded-kicks, lol. I think even with quality wrestling, Shogun would have done pretty well given he could hold them down and kick them when they failed at a shot.

Shogun when he was young... BJ when he was young, this kind of threads make me sad, considered how many people don't know how great they truly were. Shogun's kneebar on Coleman is one of those things I will never forget, classic one.

Shogun when he was young... BJ when he was young, this kind of threads make me sad, considered how many people don't know how great they truly were. Shogun's kneebar on Coleman is one of those things I will never forget, classic one.

Randleman?
shogun-kneebar-o.gif

MilesAbove,

That Liddell gif. Nom nom! Shogun's head movement was smooth. On point. Shogun had great D.

To also hit that body kick on the back peddal like Shogin did there, was just wow....Theres no way anyone can look at that gif and than tell me Jones is more skilled. Jones would fall backwards and trip over himself trying something like that. Jones is simply about oblique kicks, eye rakes, and thats it.

Anyway,

You're misinterpreting the point. Go back and reread what I said.

The point was Shogun didnt even start taking punishment in fights UNTIL injuries had already taken their toll on Shogun and slowed him down..

Its a fact that prior to Shogun's 3rd knee surgery he was hardly hit via stand up strikes and had always out struck his opponents (the exception prlly only being Nog)

Injuries and injuries only declined Shogun. Is that something youre trying to argue against? That would make you retarded.

Are you also not aware that Shogun's defense was also movement and that his knee injuries wouldve 100% effected that

Are you socially akward or just trying to argue for the sake of it?

Back