Rumored According to Tom Aspinall, Stipe Miocic turned down interim title-fight against Pavlovich

Understandable decision?

• Total voters
Of course Stipe turned it down.

He's already earned his title shot by getting brutally KOd like 2.5 years ago. No way he was gonna take a gift like that and give it up haha.

Love listening to this guy. Sounds like he should be voicing a train on Thomas the tank engine and shit.

Don't blame stipe. At this point In his career, it's about reward vs risk. Jones is high risk, high reward. Pav is high risk, zero reward really

Dana did not even offer the fight to Stipe.

Ah, well even if he had, there's no way Stipe would have accepted, for the reason I stated. Would have been dumb on his part.

It's understandable but I don't want Stipe anywhere near the title anymore. He did not fight a contender to earn another title shot. He got an Immediate rematch with DC after losing and now 2 years after getting ko'd by Ngannou at 41 they threw another title shot at him. Just my opinion but I don't think either Stipe or Jones really want to fight the best guys in the division.

Stipe got the chance to fight for the belt against Jon Jones for a lot of money and said yes. Jones got the chance to fight a 41 year old that hasn't won a fight in over 3 years. Neither want to fight Pavlovich or Aspinall and the winner of that fight should be the real champ, not interim. It's been over 7 months since Jones fought and Dana is claiming Jones will be out another 8 months with the Injury.

They never hesitated to take the belt from Jiri or Hill when they got injured, they should do the same for Jones.

Unsurprising. Stipe is an entitled crybaby. Never forget how he and DC held up the entire division for years with their string of instant rematches. Stipe hasn't fought in almost 3 years, and when he did, he got obliterated by Ngannou. Unwarranted, unearned.

I have don't have a problem with that just admit your bias .
I don’t have a bias. I’m an alcoholic with three DUI’s and have driven intoxicated hundreds if not thousands of times. I’m sober now but only because I was diagnosed with end stage cirrhosis in June and continuing to drink would hasten the process. I only care about what happens in the cage but again other people have morals and ethics that I lack.

Strip them of the title if they arent going to fight the interim champ next. Let Stipe and Jones go at it without the belt and make the interim belt the real belt

This sounds EXACTLY like he is assuming Stipe was offered the interim title fight. I don’t believe he was offered that fight at all.

The UFC wants to rebook the fight. How would they be able to do that if they offered Stipe the IC fight and he lost to Pavlovich? They couldn’t, and Jones would not fight Pavlovich.

Did this lowbrow say Gamrot didn’t want the fight with Islam? He was afterall “the backup” for the Islam/Oliveira.

If the UFC says they offered Stipe the IC fight, ok. But I think Aspinall is talking out of his ass.
Well this might be true.
Aspinall indeed made it sound like Stipe was offered the fight by saying “Stipe didn’t want to fight Pavlovich, while he was the replacement fighter”.
I understand if they want to save the Jon - Miocic fight for later on.
IF Stipe actually was offered to fight Pav, I honestly can’t blame him for declining that one. This is his very last chance to touch UFC gold, so yeah…

Think the plan is doing an "interim" title, so they can sell Jones x Miocic as a title bout one last time, and when both hang up their gloves, the division will already have a champ waiting.

I don't blame Stipe for the decision. However this is what happens when you allow fighters to stay out of the Octagon for years on end or to only compete once a year. The UFC can't get this through their thick skulls. This fight should have happened 3 or 4 months ago. So many potentially great fights have never eventuated in the past because of this procrastination factor and i blame the bloody UFC for allowing them to stall. Jones has fought once in almost 4 years!!!! Miocic hasn't fought in over 2 and a half years!! What the heck???

Good for him. He was training for Jones and Jones is off the table. He's got nothing to prove. Let Aspinall and Pav hash it out because it seems they'd both love to be there

What happens with the "undisputed title" or Stipe vs Jones confuses the hell out of me

These titles and clips smh. Done Tom a bit dirty there. He did go on to say that Stipe has earned the right to take the Jones fight instead and not fight the young guys. No one can blame Stipe for not taking a fight like that, especially with the time off and age too.

BREAKING NEWS: DEBUNKED!

ULMC.gif

Dana: "To even call Stipe, and ask Stipe to fight for an interim title is, you know, complete disrespect."

This is assuming that "the UFC" was telling Aspinall the truth. (Of course logic insists that it's also assuming Aspinall is telling the truth, but I find it way easier to credit somebody in the organization with being sleazy).

It could well be that they want to save Miocic for a fight with Jones. Jones insists he wants Stipe next and the UFC want to be in the "Jones the GOAT" business for as long as they can, so they cater to him. But they don't risk coming clean to Tom about it. They really really REALLY need him to sign on the dotted line immediately. The truth might make Tom wonder if they'd treat him as cavalierly. What if that interim belt they're dangling in front of him is snatched away like Colby's was, just so a renewed Stipe-Jon bout could be promoted as "for the title" again? What if he's agreeing to face a dangerous man in a couple of weeks for a trinket that will be snatched away like Lucy snatches away Charlie Brown's football?

A minor plausible lie to get someone onboard to save a card seems well within the UFC's operating process.

Just provides more proof that Jones and Miocic were never in the HW mix. The HW belt was vacated and picked up and never defended. Just give the HW belt back to the division where it belongs.

I don’t have a bias. I’m an alcoholic with three DUI’s and have driven intoxicated hundreds if not thousands of times. I’m sober now but only because I was diagnosed with end stage cirrhosis in June and continuing to drink would hasten the process. I only care about what happens in the cage but again other people have morals and ethics that I lack.
And those people be full of shit who knows what is going on in their lives

Back