After all these years and GTA is still the best open world game on console

What is the GOAT open-world game on consoles?

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Just Cause 2

• Saint's Row IV

• Tom Clancy's The Division

• Watch Dogs

• Total voters
Yeah, I was looking at those games, too. Isn't Brotherhood considered the best of them-- especially in an open world context? I thought only Black Flag was more liked for its freedom, but I was under the impression it didn't receive the same acclaim or was as loved as the II - Brotherhood games were.

I think Black Flag, when it first came out, was probably the most loved. But I think the thing that people loved about it got old really quick. I think overall Brotherhood was probably the preferred game of the series, so you could just put in Brotherhood as the AC representative, or even maybe "The Ezio collection", as it was pretty much intended to be a continuous experience.

I'd also be tempted to replace Watchdogs with Middle Earth.

Last edited:
I think Black Flag, when it first came out, was probably the most loved. But I think the thing that people loved about it got old really quick. I think overall Brotherhood was probably the preferred game of the series, so you could just put in Brotherhood as the AC representative, or even maybe "The Ezio collection", as it was pretty much intended to be a continuous experience.

I'd also be tempted to replace Watchdogs with Middle Earth.
LOL, that was my last cut. We're on the same page.

GTA is the same shit with different graphics since the PS2 days.

GTA is the same shit with different graphics since the PS2 days.
People say the same about TES. Doesn't change that they're by far the most influential and celebrated open-world franchises during that same period.

You could say the same of pretty much every damn AAA franchise in existence; we've already gone over Assassin's Creed, and Middle-Earth's sequel looks to be more of the same. Batman, Fallout (Bethesda) and Borderlands, too. Red Dead Redemption is just a GTA skin. The Witcher 3 is perhaps one of the few that saw a significant overhaul.

In fact, this forms a more interesting question: what major franchise doesn't just rehash and update the mechanics while changing the scenery a bit? Which major, great, open-world franchise is the most unique from release to release? Sure seems to me like Zelda takes that cake going back to Ocarina of Time.

Also, is San Andreas really loved more than IV?

Yes, and by quite a large margin I'd imagine.

SA is in GOAT talks. IV was good, but I think most GTA players agree that it was severely lacking in the game play department, in terms of variety. Lets also not forgot just how shitty the driving was in IV either.

Anyways, I think a distinction should be made between "Open World Sandbox", and "Open World RPG". I think both GTA and ES are the best in those respective categories.

People say the same about TES. Doesn't change that they're by far the most influential and celebrated open-world franchises during that same period.

You could say the same of pretty much every damn AAA franchise in existence; we've already gone over Assassin's Creed, and Middle-Earth's sequel looks to be more of the same. Batman, Fallout (Bethesda) and Borderlands, too. Red Dead Redemption is just a GTA skin. The Witcher 3 is perhaps one of the few that saw a significant overhaul.

In fact, this forms a more interesting question: what major franchise doesn't just rehash and update the mechanics while changing the scenery a bit? Which major, great, open-world franchise is the most unique from release to release? Sure seems to me like Zelda takes that cake going back to Ocarina of Time.
I think the only ones that haven't been simple rehashed mechanics are the ones that went from linear to open world, like MGS 5. Far Cry was once somewhat unique with every version, until Farcry 4

Something I'd just been thinking about regarding open world games. Would you classify games such as Treasure Island Dizzy as an open world game? In essence it was an open world in that you could basically go anywhere you wanted, it was just a side scrolling 2d game. I'm sure there have been many other similar games from older generations.

I could never get into the GTA games so probably Skyrim or FO3 for me.

*runs from thread*

If you refer to GTA 1 the answer is yes.

The Witcher 3.

GTA 5, Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption as runners up.

Last edited:
I could never get into the GTA games so probably Skyrim or FO3 for me.

*runs from thread*

I agree with you.

Rockstar gives you the world, populates it, and says have fun in our playhouse.

Bethesda gives you the world, dumps out a bitchin creation kit, and says do it your damn self.

Skyrim with mods is an untouchable game. Play it how you want.

I agree with you.

Rockstar gives you the world, populates it, and says have fun in our playhouse.

Bethesda gives you the world, dumps out a bitchin creation kit, and says do it your damn self.

Skyrim with mods is an untouchable game. Play it how you want.

Gta V is one of the most modded games in history...

Gta V is one of the most modded games in history...

Yeah, but Rockstar has been silent on mods while Take-Two has been outright antagonistic. We're not even going to get into releasing new content for GTA Online while pissing all over single player.

Bethesda is just a more community oriented company, they make it easy to remake the game how you want. Rockstar makes it hard, people are modding the game despite their efforts.

Yeah, but Rockstar has been silent on mods while Take-Two has been outright antagonistic. We're not even going to get into releasing new content for GTA Online while pissing all over single player.

Bethesda is just a more community oriented company, they make it easy to remake the game how you want. Rockstar makes it hard, people are modding the game despite their efforts.

Rockstar has always supported modding. It's Take 2 and Straus Zelnik who has been rigid. Did you forget Rockstar fought hard to get Take Two to remove the cease and desist for OpenIV?

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/26/rockstar-changes-gta-mod-policy-after-openiv-uproar-6735345/

Fallout 4 for me
(Yes I like it better than 3 and NV)

I have 623 hours logged into a single Fallout 4 save file

Level 129

Still have it installed and still put in 5-10 hours a month even after all that time

No other open world game sucked me in like Fallout 4

There's always new things to see and do especially with mods and the never ending possibilities of settlement customization

Might get flamed but gta v is overrated. San Andreas is easily the best gta game. Not even close, everything they've done since has been a step down
I'm playing GTA SA and it still holds up. I think SA and Red Dead Redemption are better open world games than GTA V or at least I like them more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back