Multiplatform Alan Wake II

New Sam Lake (principal writer) interview highlights incl. Control and AW2 universe crossover:

• New York City in The Dark Place inspired by Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver
• Significant amount of Live Action
• Mr. Door is the same character referenced in Control
• Major connections between Alan Wake 2 and Control

Full interview here. (External)

"There is nothing this year you’ll play like Alan Wake 2."

Consensus is GOTY contender incoming after hands-on play and watching final preview before launch in 3 weeks and change. For fence-sitters, IGN video here shows quite a bit of what to expect, but if already preordered, I'd avoid and just jump in at launch:

Yeah I’m definitely playing this as soon as I finish Spider-Man 2. The first one was interesting but gameplay held it back and everyone seems to be in agreement that this one is a major improvement. I also loved Control and I hear there is some influence from that in Alan’s portion of the game

"There is nothing this year you’ll play like Alan Wake 2."

Consensus is GOTY contender incoming after hands-on play and watching final preview before launch in 3 weeks and change. For fence-sitters, IGN video here shows quite a bit of what to expect, but if already preordered, I'd avoid and just jump in at launch:

Man I told myself no more day 1's this year but I can't resist. I also want to support Remedy they are a good dev and I want to see more from them. I absolutely loved Control. I also went back and played Quantum Break which I thought was great to. If this game does well I think there's a very real chance they get acquired by someone or someone at least tries to acquire them.

With 3 week left I should have enough time to finish Baldurs Gate chill for about a week and then hop into this.

Man I told myself no more day 1's this year but I can't resist. I also want to support Remedy they are a good dev and I want to see more from them. I absolutely loved Control. I also went back and played Quantum Break which I thought was great to. If this game does well I think there's a very real chance they get acquired by someone or someone at least tries to acquire them.

With 3 week left I should have enough time to finish Baldurs Gate chill for about a week and then hop into this.
You’ve got serious time invested in BG3 universe at this point. You breaking 150h?

I have the remastered version and I’d like to play through it here soon for October. Will definitely pick this up if I enjoy it.

You’ve got serious time invested in BG3 universe at this point. You breaking 150h?

I'm actually not sure what my time is at. I was at 80h or so over a week ago and then transferred my save data to PS5. My PC stopped recognizing my controller and I said enough of this BS and went back to my PS5. I got it fixed but spent a good 30 minutes essentially back at work troubleshooting PC issues. The issue then came up again with my son this week which just reinfornced my decision to leave PC gaming.

I don't think I'll reach 150 but I have to be over 100 by now easily. I think I'll end up at 130 or so.

I have the remastered version and I’d like to play through it here soon for October. Will definitely pick this up if I enjoy it.

I was thinking of doing the same but I wont have time at this rate. It's not a long game though.

The detective feels so cliche ticking of the classic boxes. The switch of characters kinda destroys the feeling of a consistent narrative development . Alan Wake is me playing Alan Wake .
Would have much preferred to just play Alan and then switch dimensions with him. Way more immersive.

Other suspicion is that they copy the old (quite lacking ) gameplay too much. Will have to wait here for some months to get a real impression how buyers rate it.

With Remedy its like you get a very creative interesting game that always has one serious flaw.
That was my experience with Quantum Break, Control or AW1. Still very good games!

The detective feels so cliche ticking of the classic boxes. The switch of characters kinda destroys the feeling of a consistent narrative development . Alan Wake is me playing Alan Wake .
Would have much preferred to just play Alan and then switch dimensions with him. Way more immersive.

Other suspicion is that they copy the old (quite lacking ) gameplay too much. Will have to wait here for some months to get a real impression how buyers rate it.

With Remedy its like you get a very creative interesting game that always has one serious flaw.
That was my experience with Quantum Break, Control or AW1. Still very good games!

The theory is that they are using the detective to sort of explain the story to people who missed the first game. So as she's uncovering what's going on your essentially finding out what happened in the first game.

The theory is that they are using the detective to sort of explain the story to people who missed the first game. So as she's uncovering what's going on your essentially finding out what happened in the first game.
Lets hope this is not the case. Would be incredible boring for everyone knowing the first game.

My hope would be more in the line of her being an investigator for the FBC based upon the AWE expansion for Control and that they expand the story beyond Alan Wake story events into the concept of AWE and how they are interconnected. Could even include Jesse .

Last edited:
Lets hope this is not the case. Would be incredible boring for everyone knowing the first game.

My hope would be more in the line of her being an investigator for the FBC based upon the AWE expansion for Control and that they expand the story beyond Alan Wake story events into the concept of AWE and how they are interconnected. Could even include Jesse .

I haven't played Alan Wake since it was released so I wouldn't mind a refresher.

IMO it should have been Jesse from the start. Seems like a wasted opportunity to not have Jesse there after connecting the games in Control. The only thing that makes sense is that because Jesse has powers it will change the way Alan Wake 2 plays and they probably didn't want that. Which they should have just had her be nerfed in whatever area Alan is at I forget the name.

@method115
What do you think of Control and it's awe expansion? Wasn't rated high but I enjoyed the game a lot despite the crappy level up system with weapons. Level design and world building was extremely well done imo and I do hope they incorporate that to AW2 instead of small corridors like AW1. I am also surprised that Controls whole concept seems to not play a part in AW2. A huge chance to deepen the game like Silmarillion was for Lord of the rings. Control could bring context and mythologic backstory.

@method115
What do you think of Control and it's awe expansion? Wasn't rated high but I enjoyed the game a lot despite the crappy level up system with weapons. Level design and world building was extremely well done imo and I do hope they incorporate that to AW2 instead of small corridors like AW1. I am also surprised that Controls whole concept seems to not play a part in AW2. A huge chance to deepen the game like Silmarillion was for Lord of the rings. Control could bring context and mythologic backstory.

I loved both. I got the full package and its one of the few times I've beat a game and then went on to beat the DLC. I rarely do that with games. The levels could get a little confusing at times but I still loved the design and I hope they keep that up. I doubt we see any of that in Alan Wake 2. It appears to be a lot more like the REmake 2 type games from what I've seen. Which admittedly is very little.

I thought we were going to get a lot more of Control's overall story in this game but that doesn't seem to be the case. The only thing I can think is that this game will end with further connecting the story lines and maybe the next game will be the true "Avengers" type setup.

I would pay 200 dollar for an Alan Wake game were Alan slowly learns Jesse abilities with their creative 3d level design in working as a rookie detective for the FBC travelling the world and Old House maybe exploring a deeper pattern behind AW1 lake "monster". Perfect crossover imo.

I really hope AW2 will be a financial hit for Remedy.

I really hope AW2 will be a financial hit for Remedy.

Same. A guy who is also a huge fan of the company has been saying really good things about the game. His words were something along the lines of "This is Remedy leveling up". The youtuber got to play the game a bit.

Last edited:
I want them squarely to have deepened combat in this. The first game had quadruple-A storytelling and voice acting – and I mean better than these 200M USD productions we have today even – so they crushed all those boxes. But the combat was derivative, not holding the game back nor doing it any favors. If Remedy can put all three elements together in the sequel, this will be a very special game.

I want them squarely to have deepened combat in this. The first game had quadruple-A storytelling and voice acting – and I mean better than these 200M USD productions we have today even – so they crushed all those boxes. But the combat was derivative, not holding the game back nor doing it any favors. If Remedy can put all three elements together in the sequel, this will be a very special game.

Those are my thoughts on the combat for the first game. With that said I haven't seen anything that looks like it's changed much but again I've avoided watching most videos on this game. I think I saw the initial announcement trailer they had and that's it.

Been meaning to play Control. That one was sitting in the backburner forever.. might have to actually give it some effort and try the game out. I've also never played Alan Wake but I just check my PS game inventory and I have the remastered version (Thank you PS Plus). Just downloaded it so its on my list of games I must tackle.

Been meaning to play Control. That one was sitting in the backburner forever.. might have to actually give it some effort and try the game out. I've also never played Alan Wake but I just check my PS game inventory and I have the remastered version (Thank you PS Plus). Just downloaded it so its on my list of games I must tackle.

Control was an amazing game. The world, setting, story were all just fantastic. I really enjoyed the combat but that's the one thing that some people just didn't like while others did. The maps were also really great.

Control was an amazing game. The world, setting, story were all just fantastic. I really enjoyed the combat but that's the one thing that some people just didn't like while others did. The maps were also really great.

Control was a sleeper hit for me. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was and I loved every second. What made it special for me outside of the amazing combat was that the game never let you out of it's grip. It was one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. One of the ending levels was a masterclass in level design as well. Incredible.

From the accounts I follow who have had a chance to play the game, the resounding feeling is we're in for a treat. I stopped reading / watching reviews for now. I'm also hoping for more immersive combat as I felt AW1 felt reputative and lackluster.

Back