News Alex Pereira opens up as the underdog in his upcoming quadrilogy vs Israel Adesanya

Fair odds?

• Total voters
Pereira needs to win, simply so we don't have to watch Izzy vs Pereira 3(5).
That would be the 4 fight sweep, if izzy wins he has to win 3 more times so we're looking at potential 4 more fights

I dont get the odds, sure we can agree Izzy was up on the scorecards...but aside from the one round of wrestling it was close and there is an argument that Alex was landing the far better shots.

That would be the 4 fight sweep, if izzy wins he has to win 3 more times so we're looking at potential 4 more fights

If Izzy were to win, they would obviously end up running it back again in the UFC as they'd be 1-1. I don't know that there is any appetite for anything past a 3rd UFC fight. Regardless of the 2 wins prior, Izzy needs to move on.

Unless they fight at LHW or something. 4+ fights in the UFC is stupid for these two. That'll end up being 2-3 years wasted on this "storyline" while these guys are in their prime.

We know. This is the fifth thread about it, lol

People need to rewatch their 3 meetings without the influence of Izzy or Joe Rogan or whoever's bias. Alex clearly won the 1st fight. The second Alex was down until he flatlined Izzy, who required oxygen lol
He was down 3-1 in the mma fight, but no way he wasn't getting a 10-8 if he didn't finish Izzy in that fight so do the math
He has a different style than Izzy. Izzy is all about winning on points. Alex isn't. He will pick his shots and explode and finish. So no duh Izzy will be technically "winning until he isn't" it's the clash of styles. Alex is going to finish him and hurt him badly all over again. For Izzy's sake he really should have taken some time off and let Whittaker take the shot.

How is he the underdog? Do they think Izzy learned how to wrestle overnight
Probably the same reason Izzy was the favorite in the first fight. Odds makers and analysts focus on mma experience from Izzy even though he's just a kickboxer with TDD. They don't realize his offense is really only kickboxing and their offensive grappling level is actually comparable. Izzy did absolutely nothing during the round he had control. This is just another example of people not knowing what they are looking at. Pereira is the favorite just like he was the favorite in their last fight. Yes, Izzy can win - but Pereira is still stylistically the favorite. Izzy hasn't been able to show that he can handle Pereira's offense when he goes for the kill.

I wonder if Izzy’s chin has been cracked. Looking forward to the rematch. My money is Pereira round 2 KO
His chin probably isn't elite level that's why he fights the way he does. He avoids the inside and only tries to fight from distance. Don't think his chin is cracked, he just doesn't have the best durability. He doesn't handle shots well. You can learn a lot about a fighter by their fighting style.

that's just... odd. some real denial going on there.

i think periera gets it done easier this time. he is new to mma and izzy has been here for a while. alex is only getting better.

imo he did well in round 1 until the last second
won round 2
TD in round 3 gassed him out
spent round 4 recovering
round 5 he was recharged and finished izzy.

no doubt izzy gameplanned like hell for the last fight. now alex has seen all the cards he's holding.

It was thrown before the bell went off it was a legal strike...

U cant stop a punch mid air cuz the horn went lmfao

I agree that a strike throw before the bell that lands after isn’t illegal, but that left hook wasn’t thrown before the bell. Alex didn’t drop his guard because of the bell, either. He was hurt and protecting against another right.

Izzy was looking for 2 punches after he hurt Alex. He started to load up a right uppercut, left hook combo but switched to a left hook, right overhand. The bell sounded as Izzy decided to pull back the right uppercut. That right uppercut naturally loads the body for the left hook. He was going to fire that combo bell or no bell. Izzy’s right overhand after the left was even further after the bell. It was so late the ref got in the way of it blocking it with his left arm.

So there is one questionable strike, the left hook, and one that wasn’t, the following right. There is no intentional foul here so it’s all moot. Fighters don’t or shouldn’t be holding back because a bell might sound. Just a warning and move on. Regardless of a bell, Alex would have been hit with more shit after being hurt like that.

Last edited:
Or maybe it was the part where IZZY cracked him in the first 5 mins and the time ran out..

He did in 5 mins what took Alex 5 rounds
Right. Difference is Izzy couldn’t replicate it and when Alex did it it ended the fight

I agree that a strike throw before the bell that lands after isn’t illegal, but that left hook wasn’t thrown before the bell. Alex didn’t drop his guard because of the bell, either. He was hurt and protecting against another right.

Izzy was looking for 2 punches after he hurt Alex. He started to load up a right uppercut, left hook combo but switched to a left hook, right overhand. The bell sounded as Izzy decided to pull back the right uppercut. That right uppercut naturally loads the body for the left hook. He was going to fire that combo bell or no bell. Izzy’s right overhand after the left was even further after the bell. It was so late the ref got in the way of it blocking it with his left arm.

So there is one questionable strike, the left hook, and one that wasn’t, the following right. There is no intentional foul here so it’s all moot. Fighters don’t or shouldn’t be holding back because a bell might sound. Just a warning and move on. Regardless of a bell, Alex would have been hit with more shit after being hurt like that.

Id have to rewatch the sequence to be sure...but fair enough..

Either way these two are easily the best current strikers at MW...the rematch will be more about MMA then Striking i think

Pereira needs to win, simply so we don't have to watch Izzy vs Pereira 3(5).

While I normally would agree. MW is so horrible that it would actually benefit from Izzy and Pereira fighting a few times. Would buy time for new prospects to climb through the ranks.

Let's just say Pereira beats Izzy and ends the series there's really no one at MW except Whitaker people would be interested in fighting for the title.

I think you have to take Alex at those odds, but Vegas usually knows things we don’t.

Back