Alexander Gustafsson - "Winning over Jon Jones is bigger than taking the belt."

Do you agree with him or no?

• I agree

• I disagree.

Results are only viewable after voting.
True, but Jones looked like god awful shit leading up to the KO.

Must respectfully disagree. He was feeling Cormier out and letting Cormier throw and land, yes. But I thought he was very defensively responsible, and was just looking for an opening leading up to the head kick.

Fighters and people in the MMA community know what's up when it comes to Jones steroids or not.

@Arm Barbarian BTFO again

Must respectfully disagree. He was feeling Cormier out and letting Cormier throw and land, yes. But I thought he was very defensively responsible, and was just looking for an opening leading up to the head kick.
tenor.gif

Disagree. First, becoming a champion is the highest goal of any sport. The UFC has certainly diminished the value of its belts, but the end goal is still the same. Second, beating Jones at this point doesn't mean as much as it used to. If he fights again, he'll be coming back after an incredible period of inactivity; and presumably he'll no longer be using tainted supplements.

True, but Jones looked like god awful shit leading up to the KO.

Do you think that head kick came out of nowhere?

Jones was landing a shit ton of body shots including roundhouse kicks, hooks, jabs, straights, knees, side kicks, etc. Cormier's pressure was waning somewhat and his pace had started to slow in rd 3. DC also was adjusting his guard so he'd be better able to catch kicks. He was actually trying to catch a kick that he believed was going lower because of the way Jon had set him up for the 2+ rounds prior.

Cormier was competitive but was making the same mistake from the first fight where he headhunted which expended energy on top of having to wade through dozens of body shots to get inside. He was smart to concede the wrestling this time to be at best neutral but he didn't make more important adjustments.

Last edited:
Seems obvious because Jones is the GOAT but Gustafsson should worry more about making money than chasing "legacy fights" at this stage IMO. The guy only has 3 wins in the last 6 YEARS (LESS THAN CAIN) and has pissed away a lot of his prime years waiting for a rematch to get handed to him.

Has Gustafsson, at 31 years of age, made enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life? Opening a gym and being a coach is a risky venture and doesn't always provide stable income. Poor available competition or not, this guy could be racking up performance bonuses and easy money which would be a far better use of his time than sitting there pissing and moaning about a fight that happened in 2013. Besides the 2 very close losses to Jones and DC, Gus' resume is pretty weak IMO so he should fight more often now while he can and build something instead of chasing 2 rematches that likely won't ever happen

It would be an accomplishment for sure but when it is all said and done wouldn't you want to be a former champ instead of someone who beat Jon Jones?

He's right no point in winning the belt if you don't ever beat the actual champ.

Considering bones will have to fight clean from here on out I’d say the belt is more prestigious.

Gus is just dick riding because a close loss to Bones is the crown jewel of his career.

Yeah he is the GOAT that's why. If you beat him, especially if you're the first, that's huge for your legacy.

Seems obvious because Jones is the GOAT but Gustafsson should worry more about making money than chasing "legacy fights" at this stage IMO. The guy only has 3 wins in the last 6 YEARS (LESS THAN CAIN) and has pissed away a lot of his prime years waiting for a rematch to get handed to him.

He has 5 wins in the last 6 years, not 3, and he has taken 3 non title fights while ranked as the 1st contender (Manuwa, Rumble, Glover). He has been inactive because of injuries. Next time educate yourself before posting.

He has 5 wins in the last 6 years, not 3, and he has took 3 non title fights while ranked as the 1st contender (Manuwa, Rumble, Glover). He has been inactive because of injuries. Next time educate yourself before posting.
Sees your sig... understands incredible bias. If you want to split hairs about his December 2012 win over Shogun counting, then fine, include it and make it 4 and say he has the same amount of wins as Cain. Feel better?

Nothing changes the fact that the guy doesn't fight. Injuries are to blame some of the time but Gus has made no secret that he doesn't mind "waiting for a title shot" which is ridiculous considering how inactive he is. Yes, he is the clear cut #1 contender and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but the point I'm making is that Gus is so focused on avenging his loss to Jones that he is totally wasting his prime money making years which is a huge mistake in a career that has a short shelf life as it is. DC is going to be retiring within a year and Jones may never come back as this point so Gus waiting around makes little sense when he could be mowing through people and collecting bonuses. Considering his best performances are close losses, I don't think he is above adding some new names to his resume.... especially since this is what he does to make a living.

Another one Jones owns space in their head, DC & Gus on the Jones owned bus....

No, once Jon loses more fights, his win would be meaningless.

Back