• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

News Alistair Overeem issues statement on UFC release

Classy. I always enjoyed watching his fights. He was VERY close to the title. He had Stipe hurt. It's a shame he never got to it, but he was VERY successful.

All class from the Reem. He's had his ups and downs but it's been a real pleasure to watch him compete in the UFC.

Good luck to him. A true decorated veteran of the sport. Wouldn't have minded seeing him fight a bit more, but it just wasn't working out anymore at the highest level, and if wants to be done, then I'm good with his decision.

UFC is keeping only cheap fighters, they lost so many talent since WME bought the company.

Reem is going back to Ubereem and we all know it.
Rizin will offer a deal he can't refuse and no PED testing, then match him up with a chubby Japanese middleweight with a record of 12-13 and call it a title fight. Just like the good old days of PRIDE

(I'm kidding, please don't kill me PRIDE fanboys)

Using MMA as a time scale really seems to enable time compression. Every fight I remember seems like it was THAT long ago but then I look at the dates and realize how long it's actually been. Crazy. Sucks that he never won the UFC title. If that Rozenstruik stoppage wouldn't have happened he could have gotten a title shot again for one last attempt.

Big name fighter with decades of experience who will step up and perform in any situation???

Nahhhh we can pay 12 regional fucks the same amount and just recycle them

It’s not like he has ever went on chucky skid. They were talking about 1 last potential title shot if he keeps winning and then can’t get inside Drago’s range and then he’s insta cut.

Obviously they thought he was too expensive n not cuz he was slumping to a chuck bj or shamrock level of legacy tarnishment. He could go somewhere for some final career wins if he wants

Reem should retire
He already had a great career, made a shit load of money, and even though he got some devastating KO losses, he still seems to have his mind right for now.
Nah. Head to bellator for their legends division.

<mma1>

War Reem.

No one has come back from more crushing KO losses.

He took them in stride and lasted way longer than anyone thought he would.

1300758674.0.jpg
That is one thing among many that is very impressive about him. Most fighters can't come back from a few brutal KOs, even fewer come back improved after them, even way fewer after 20 years get two back to back brutal knocks out (Francis and Curtis) and still come back as mentally strong to fight as ever. So many guys fold and become jobbers after a quarter of what he has been through.

Using MMA as a time scale really seems to enable time compression. Every fight I remember seems like it was THAT long ago but then I look at the dates and realize how long it's actually been. Crazy. Sucks that he never won the UFC title. If that Rozenstruik stoppage wouldn't have happened he could have gotten a title shot again for one last attempt.
That stoppage pissed me off. 6 seconds left, and then he gets dropped by Harris his next fight even worse, they let it go and he goes on to win the fight.

I think he'll change his tune after a year off or when the offers start coming in. I'm sure Coker would love to him for at least 1-2 fights. He'd be great in a HW tourney. Also, at retirement fight against a winnable opponent would be hard to resist.

Take a year off, get back on the horse meat and let's go for one more run.

That is one thing among many that is very impressive about him. Most fighters can't come back from a few brutal KOs, even fewer come back improved after them, even way fewer after 20 years get two back to back brutal knocks out (Francis and Curtis) and still come back as mentally strong to fight as ever. So many guys fold and become jobbers after a quarter of what he has been through.

He's a fucking legend. People were calling for his retirement YEARS ago.

He didn't give up on his career or his dream. They had to cut him off of a one fight losing "streak".

He probably could have came back and won again because it's not like Volkov is a scrub.

Win or lose I always enjoyed watching him fight! Legend.

10 years, holy shit I can't believe he was in UFC for so long

I feel so fucking old

I remember watching him K1 GP like it was yesterday

The Reem’s my all time favorite HW fighter, sad to see him released, but if he wants to continue to compete it’s probably the best to continue away from USADA testing. It doesn’t matter where or when, I’ll always be tuning into to see the legend, The Demolition Man fight...

War Overeem

Back