All Ringside/Combat Sports Gear Questions Post Here

Granby –
You had some tough questions so I put it on the backburner and mistakenly forgot to get back to you with a proper response.
The most protective fight glove pretty much doesn’t exist. By nature they are soft and made to punish your opponent. Because of this they offer very little protection for your hands. They mainly act as minimal cushion to disperse the impact on the 5th metacarpal. (bone directly behind the pinky in the back of your hand). 90% of the protection you get while wearing a Pro Fight Glove should come from your handwrap or gauze/tape job so make sure it is top notch. So now we know that they are not protective I will also tell you that in most cases they are also not comfortable. For some reason this doesn’t keep people from using them on a daily basis as you are intending. I have had my hand in every pro fight glove sold in the US market for the last 20 years. That being said these are my recommendations for ones that can be used on a heavybag.

1. Windy – Great fit, Great Padding, Great Price $65.00
2. Ringside Heritage – Best Fit of any pro fight I have ever put on, Soft IMF Padding but still offers a little protection, bad news is that they are not out yet but will be around $200 so they are kind of pricy
3. Winning – Great fit, Good Soft Layered Foam Padding, Can’t get past the stupid price $275
4. Grant – OK fit (thumb is funny for me not natural), soft durable foam, Good Luck finding a pair to purchase, priced between $150 and $180 I think.
5. Rival “Layered Foam” Good Fit, Good Padding, Good Price $120

All of the 5 gloves listed above should last you 1000’s of rounds of heavybag work but please make sure to perfect you wrap.

I personally would recommend the 10 ounce because the slightly larger hand compartment will better accept a properly wrapped hand. If you have small hands you could probably go with the 8’s.

Have I mentioned that Pro fight Glove regulations are a complete joke but I will save that for another thread.

I also think that the Ringside amateur competition gloves are a great choice for your intended use. Durable all leather construction, the best IMF Foam padding which will protect your hands and often used on heavybags. Go with Velcro because of the ease in putting them on. Again get your support from you handwrap as I stated above. I don’t think the CFS version would be a good option for your intended use (Mushy Soft).

I will work on getting you an image you requested so you can make an informed decision.

Powerhide is our version of Synthetic Leather. To be more specific it is Man Made Leather Grained PVC with a material backing for added strength. It has been my experience that the best synthetics always come from Thailand. When synthetics are done properly 99% of people can’t tell the difference between it and a real leather piece.

My personal opinion of the 5” double end bag is that it is too small and I wouldn’t go smaller than 7” you already have. Very, very, very few people can hit the double end bag correctly. Master it like Albert in this video

and then go down to a smaller model. Shape doesn’t matter in my opinion

Thanks for your questions and sorry for the late reply,

Darrin Clauder

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
I posted a couple months back that in the very near future you were going to start to see some really cool things from Ringside/Combat Sports and the new MHG 2 is one of those things. If you are looking for the best training headgear ever made than you should look no further than the Ringside Mexi-flex Training Headgear. The high points are:
1. All Leather outer shell for durability
2. Patented, Flex Panel Technology

hat headgear does look pretty good. if i didnt already have a winning fg2900 i would probably try it

Darrin, I pm'd you. Just checking to see if you got it. It's not showing up in my sent box.

I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the Ringside IMF Super Bag Gloves and have a question about your sizing.

A simple method to determine the size of the glove you’ll need is to measure the circumference of your hand, just below the knuckles. If your right handed, use your right hand and vice versa.

Use the size chart and video below to determine the size of the glove you’ll need.
Boxing Gloves:
Small = 6" - 7.5" circumference, 12oz
Regular/Medium = 7.5" - 8.5" circumference, 14oz
Large = 8.5" - 9.5" circumference, 16oz
XL = 9.5" & Above circumference, 18oz or 20oz

Because, the circumference of the glove changes as you go up/down in size, does the length and thumb size change as well?

do you happen to have any of your old "Slip Sticks" lying around that I could buy?

Nomilkforsanta-
The thumb length does get slightly longer as you go up in size on the Super Bag Gloves. To give you an idea on how much I just tried on the Mediums and going all the way up to the XLarge the length increase 1/4 - 3/8

Hey Darrin,

You said you have used just about every glove sold in the US. What is your opinion of G&S Boxing gear in general. Have you ever used them? How is the quality?

Nomilkforsanta-
The thumb length does get slightly longer as you go up in size on the Super Bag Gloves. To give you an idea on how much I just tried on the Mediums and going all the way up to the XLarge the length increase 1/4 - 3/8

Anything in development along the lines of a full-face headgear or new MMA glove? Haven't tried them myself, but I recently saw the TG27 hammerfist glove and thought it was very innovative.

Anything in development along the lines of a full-face headgear or new MMA glove? Haven't tried them myself, but I recently saw the TG27 hammerfist glove and thought it was very innovative.

Thanks for the question Cheesesteak. I'll let Darrin, Dennis and Nate answer the questions about new headgear. In regards to the MMA gloves, are you looking for training or competition? I highly recommend checking out the competition gloves we came out with about six months ago. I think they're the best ones we've come up with yet. Here's a link to a video about them. I hope you notice how they differ from other brands. http://vimeo.com/32969495

The hammerfist glove is a solid training glove that I recommend you check out. Here's a link to it as well. http://vimeo.com/32218836

Hit me up with any questions,
Justin Appleberry

Thanks for the question Cheesesteak. I'll let Darrin, Dennis and Nate answer the questions about new headgear. In regards to the MMA gloves, are you looking for training or competition? I highly recommend checking out the competition gloves we came out with about six months ago. I think they're the best ones we've come up with yet. Here's a link to a video about them. I hope you notice how they differ from other brands. http://vimeo.com/32969495

The hammerfist glove is a solid training glove that I recommend you check out. Here's a link to it as well. http://vimeo.com/32218836

Hit me up with any questions,
Justin Appleberry

Justin, thank you for the quick response and videos!

I am looking for a training glove and am leaning towards the TG27 because it seems to offer something unique and innovative. I also like the PRIDE style palm and segmented padding in the back of the hand.

I notice that the hammerfist padding itself extends down towards the wrist though. Will this effect the grappling aspect at all? I know this model is specifically designed for GnP, but I need a glove that is adaptable in all aspects of the game.

I am always very careful in selecting products to use and like to do research, but there doesn't seem to be any reviews for this model.

Thanks again.

Justin, thank you for the quick response and videos!

I am looking for a training glove and am leaning towards the TG27 because it seems to offer something unique and innovative. I also like the PRIDE style palm and segmented padding in the back of the hand.

I notice that the hammerfist padding itself extends down towards the wrist though. Will this effect the grappling aspect at all? I know this model is specifically designed for GnP, but I need a glove that is adaptable in all aspects of the game.

I am always very careful in selecting products to use and like to do research, but there doesn't seem to be any reviews for this model.

Thanks again.

You will diffently feel it come down on your wrist. However, I come from a strong wrestling background and when I train with that glove I would say I notice it but I don't think it affected my game at all.
PS I also think they run small so if you're a tweener on sizes go with the bigger one.

what's your most protective glove for bagwork?

edit: also just noticed http://www.rude-boys.com sell Ringside products in Europe which is not something you see every day. Too bad shipping to the UK is somehow just as bad from Spain as it is from the US

Last edited:
Can anyone give more opinions about the Mexi Flex headgear? How does it compare to the Cleto Reyes, since they both have the same basic style and both use latex as their padding? Does the Mexi Flex offer good shock absorbtion like the Reyes or is it thinner and cheaper made material?

I have been looking for new headgear and kind of have it narrowed down to the Reyes and Rival D30, both of which I can get here in Canada without being gouged by customs and duties fees from the States.

I have the Fighting Sports headgear with the full chin padding and it is a bit of a tank and feels bulky. That's why I don't want to take a chance on the Gorilla Silverback since many in here have said it's quite bulky. I have also looked at Top Ten, which I can also get in Canada but I want leather headgear and not the Avante Guard that is the rubbery material itself. Top Ten said they only make the leather one with the full chin padding, which I don't want.

I've been trying to phone Ringsides Canadian branch but no one has answered the phone in three days of constantly trying. I think they must be out of business since no reputable business would be so neglect to not even return messages left.

Money is a bit tight so the Mexi Flex would be a great alternative to the more expensive Cleto Reyes and Rival as long as the Mexi Flex was as good as advertised.

Can anyone give more opinions about the Mexi Flex headgear? How does it compare to the Cleto Reyes, since they both have the same basic style and both use latex as their padding? Does the Mexi Flex offer good shock absorbtion like the Reyes or is it thinner and cheaper made material?

I have been looking for new headgear and kind of have it narrowed down to the Reyes and Rival D30, both of which I can get here in Canada without being gouged by customs and duties fees from the States.

I have the Fighting Sports headgear with the full chin padding and it is a bit of a tank and feels bulky. That's why I don't want to take a chance on the Gorilla Silverback since many in here have said it's quite bulky. I have also looked at Top Ten, which I can also get in Canada but I want leather headgear and not the Avante Guard that is the rubbery material itself. Top Ten said they only make the leather one with the full chin padding, which I don't want.

I've been trying to phone Ringsides Canadian branch but no one has answered the phone in three days of constantly trying. I think they must be out of business since no reputable business would be so neglect to not even return messages left.

Money is a bit tight so the Mexi Flex would be a great alternative to the more expensive Cleto Reyes and Rival as long as the Mexi Flex was as good as advertised.

Hey Ogopogo, I think the Mexi Flex is a good option to the Cleto. The padding in the Mexi Flex is comparable to the Cleto and from side by side comparisons from boxers looking at both here they have commented that the Ringside version is perhaps a little denser. The Mexi Flex closure on the top of the head gear is not the Cleto style lace that only tightens to the back, the 3 separate hook and loop adjustments allow you to fit the contours of your head much more effectively than pulling straight back with the laces. Of course the price point on the Ringside is much more attractive and I think offers a very positive value equation.

As for the "out of business" comment I can assure you that is not the case, we have been exceedingly busy and we make every effort to respond to messages that are actually left on our phones the day they are left. In the past 3 days we have only had one message regarding the mexi flex head gear and that was today and I have personally replied to that call.

Minowafanatic - Taking in to consideration only protection I would lean towards an IMF glove with a smaller hand compartment. I think that the OTZBG would be your best option. I use the Combat Sports version HBG18 as it is the same glove myself when hitting a heavybag. Here are my top 5 Boxing style bag gloves that fit your your criteria. I also added a 6 glove which would be your best MMA bag glove option.

1. OTZBG
2. IMFPFG this is brand new CSINate will post and image of it later today when it comes off the truck.
3. HSBG
4. SBG
5. GELSBG
6. HBG20

Let me know if any of them needs further explanation.

Thanks,

Darrin

Here is Ringside's brand new IMF Pro Fight Gloves. They come in Bk/WT, WT/BK, RED/BK, BLUE/BK

mryefb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back