• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Television ALTERED CARBON (Renewed for Season 2 with New Star Anthony Mackie)

Yes, cause it feels like it to a new you, not the you as you are currently self aware

If that's you then I fail to see the problem.

If I were to have a backup and died, got replaced, that would be me as far as I care. It would be like waking up and hearing a bad dream

If I were to have a backup and died, got replaced, that would be me as far as I care. It would be like waking up and hearing a bad dream

but it's not you tho, you dead bro, it's a duplicate of you, like a shitty twin they made in case you die

No it would be like never waking up and someone else thinking they're you

Do you have any continuity of consciousness when you sleep? No, you don't. You die every time you go to sleep.

No I go to sleep hungry and wake up eating donuts so looks like I win again

Your brain shuts off your consciousness, then reloads it when it is time to wake up. How do you know that's any different than a computer doing it?

Your brain shuts off your consciousness, then reloads it when it is time to wake up. How do you know that's any different than a computer doing it?

Because I dream and remember, I suppose.

dreamdeath.gif

tenor.gif

LE PETIT MORT

Last edited:

Bodily functions yes, but your consciousness ceases.

Also going to sleep hungry?

<Varys01>

Re dreams, apparently they happen in the REM cycle just before waking. You're not necessarily conscious when dreaming either because it would have to be lucid dreaming for the self awareness necessary. Basically though, even if one was a permanently lucid dreamer REM only happens about 8 times a sleep with zero consciousness in-between, so then you'd be dying 9 times a night rather than once!

I think it's cool we ended up talking of this shit. It's wild as fuck.

I've spent some time, probably a couple of decades meditating on the present, mindfulness. As a way of dealing with tendancies towards anxiety over things that need doing that aren't to be done in that moment. Also smoked weed almost every day.. I can really feel how there's nothing else nowadays.

Last edited:
Do you have any continuity of consciousness when you sleep? No, you don't. You die every time you go to sleep.

Its perfectly possible that i am a new person who thinks i was the person who went to sleep yesterday. That's still no comfort to the other person who no longer exists.

Its perfectly possible that i am a new person who thinks i was the person who went to sleep yesterday. That's still no comfort to the other person who no longer exists.

It's no discomfort either

So I watched the first season and it was decent, I find the overall premise really interesting.

But one philosophical thing bothers me about the premise, and scifi involving clones, downloading consciousness, teleportation and reconstruction of bodies.

From a physical science and biochemistry perspective, Takeshi would literally die every single time.

Each time he's uploaded, he died for real and the upload is effectively a brand new clone with all of his memories.

So he's died dozens if not hundreds of times in the show / lore. And never come back once.

Each time it's just a brand new clone with his memories.

So we're presented with this idea of immortality, but it isn't immortality. It's just a clone that thinks it is the original person.

Now this could be effective for making an employee or a soldier "immortal" but on an individual level it's a sham.

The film "The Prestige" does an interesting job of exploring this idea. But in the end as far as Altered Carbon goes, every reboot, every resleave, Takeshi dies. And a new clone that thinks it's Takeshi is born.
Have you ever played the game SOMA? Very similar themes in that game. It's pretty short only like 5-6 hours. It's available for cheap on pretty much every console and easily do-able on most PC's these days. Def worth a try if you like this kind of sci-fi that makes you think

Does it matter if it feels like it?

It absolutely matters.

Your consciousness moves in a straight line and ends with the transfer. It begins again in the new production, but the "you" that ended is gone.

Imagine if you didn't have to end to make a copy. Would you be both you and the copy?

It absolutely matters.

Your consciousness moves in a straight line and ends with the transfer. It begins again in the new production, but the "you" that ended is gone.

Imagine if you didn't have to end to make a copy. Would you be both you and the copy?

I answered this earlier ITT, to summarize, your consciousness ends everytime you sleep at the very least. You experience that every day and think nothing of it, why is this any different?

Yes, you would be you and the copy would also be you, from that point on however different experience would mean divergence.

Back