Amir Khan: I Want Adrien Broner

But what is the root cause of Broner not throwing? That is the question. We can't just say that he's great when he throws, so he just needs to throw more. I think he does not throw more for a reason.

Specifically, Broner has bad defense and mediocre cardio. When Broner throws, he eats huge punches. That is consistent across every single Broner fight too, he is not a guy who can be offensive and defensive at the same time. He's either attacking well but getting hit, or defending well and not throwing any punches.

If Broner goes out and lets his hands go right from the start, he knows he's going to take a beating and likely gas out. He does not have the heart take that beating. He even admitted after the Maidana fight that he would never allow himself to have a hard fight like that again.

So he hardly throws any punches, gives the first half of the fight away, then comes on strong at the end and loses by decision. He's been doing that for years now against top competition.

I wouldn't even say that that he has mediocre cardio (someone with mediocre cardio would have been stopped by Maidana; people don't appreciate the beating he took from Marcos; it's the reason the two are friends now). He's just dumb and not at all equipped or willing to fight to his strengths. Cunningham brought more out of him last weekend (arguably beating a guy like Vargas is meaningful), but he still suffers from similar problems. If Cunningham can cull more of the bad out of him, then we have a half interesting fighter at JWW.

Aren't they friends? I don't think I'll get over how strange it is in Boxing an MMA that friends actually want to fight each other for a payday. Khan and Manny talked about fighting too, despite being former stablemates.

Thumbnail makes it looms like they’re about to make out

the ultimate style matchup:

Broner's tried and true style of move forward -> high guard -> take punches -> shake head while making a judgy face

versus Khan's mastery of

throw a million punch combination -> standing perfectly still with your chin hanging in the air like an apple -> inevitably get clocked then stumble around like a crippled giraffe.

should be a high level chess match

the ultimate style matchup:

Broner's tried and true style of move forward -> high guard -> take punches -> shake head while making a judgy face

versus Khan's mastery of

throw a million punch combination -> standing perfectly still with your chin hanging in the air like an apple -> inevitably get clocked then stumble around like a crippled giraffe.

should be a high level chess match

Hey it'll be a less skilled but much more entertaining version of Floyd-Pac , it's the shoulder roll vs fast combos

Back