Annoying “You’re using adblock” pop ups on mobile

Misanthropist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How do you stop it from popping up every time I click on threads?

1-DA09-EE7-0-EDA-4800-B14-D-0-EA7-C5307-D00.png

You have to disable ad blocker, which is enabled by default on Brave... or you can use Firefox on Android... get an adblock extension like ublock or ghostery, it should block that pop up.

Firefox on IOS isn't the same as on Android btw

Yeah, I'm not here as much as I used to be.

Too annoying. Will pop in here and there but between the tolerated and lowkey racism and this. Naw.

Sherdog staff, it may seem reasonable to ask your users to disable their ad blockers or whitelist your site but the potential consequences far outweigh your ability to generate ad revenue. History has taught us that much. Here's a recent real world example to demonstrate this fact.
It was only 7 months ago that the FBI put out a Public Service Announcement (PSA) on the dangers of online ads. They explicitly recommend using an ad blocker. You can find their PSA here.

Further reading: The NSA and CIA Use Ad Blockers Because Online Advertising Is So Dangerous

Did you know that Google/YouTube, Yahoo!, Microsoft/MSN, eBay, Spotify, MySpace, Forbes, DailyMotion, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, London Stock Exchange, Daily Mail, etc. have all been hit hard by malvertising? In fact, some of the very ad networks you're relying on now to serve us advertisements, like DoubleClick, have previously been compromised and used as attack vectors to distribute malware to unsuspecting visitors. Some of these were high profile cases that affected countless people and their devices. This highly concerning trend has been ongoing since 2007. It's not a new threat.

Lastly, even if your users chose to comply and disable their ad blocking, or whitelist your site, not every end-user is using a browser extension to block ads. After all there are various other methods available. Some of them aren't nearly as straightforward or convenient to reconfigure (ieg., network-based DNS filtering would require a change to your users' DNS settings, some VPNs and anti-virus software have it built-in, and most business institutions and select ISPs block ads by default per corporate policy on their networks). The reality is that not everybody is a power user or technologist. Plenty are either tech illiterate or outright technophobes. As someone that's worked inside Big Tech, and had frequent correspondence with the US intelligence community, I would strongly recommend that you reconsider your policy.

Additional resources:

Using Firefox desktop with ublock, unfortunately now it has been affected. How annoying :(
Not surprising given that setup. If they can detect that you're running an ad blocker then you'll get that nag screen. Your options would be to either use an ad blocking method that they can't currently detect, and there are some that I've verified in testing, or just suppress the nag screen itself. A short while back I mentioned how I was doing it but my post was quietly deleted. Apparently it rubbed one of the staff members wrong. If that information wasn't censored then I could say more. Mum is the word on the particular details. Good luck, soldier!

Every time I click a link on the forums this pops up because I have a built-in DNS that blocks all ads on my phone has nothing to do with my web browser

I get that ads help bring in Revenue but realistically the only people that are going to click on those is very lowScreenshot_20230916_185111_Chrome.jpg

If I say continue without browsing it should let me do that on mobile

Every time I click a link on the forums this pops up because I have a built-in DNS that blocks all ads on my phone has nothing to do with my web browser

I get that ads help bring in Revenue but realistically the only people that are going to click on those is very lowView attachment 1002055

If I say continue without browsing it should let me do that on mobile
I mentioned this last month. See below.
Lastly, even if your users chose to comply and disable their ad blocking, or whitelist your site, not every end-user is using a browser extension to block ads. After all there are various other methods available. Some of them aren't nearly as straightforward or convenient to reconfigure (ieg., network-based DNS filtering would require a change to your users' DNS settings, some VPNs and anti-virus software have it built-in, and most business institutions and select ISPs block ads by default per corporate policy on their networks). The reality is that not everybody is a power user or technologist. Plenty are either tech illiterate or outright technophobes. As someone that's worked inside Big Tech, and had frequent correspondence with the US intelligence community, I would strongly recommend that you reconsider your policy.
BTW in many cases you don't necessarily have to click/tap on their ads for them to earn revenue. Ad campaign business models aren't always Pay-Per-Click (PPC) they can also be Pay-Per-Impression (PPM) for example. In other words, they're still able to make money as long as their advertisements are displayed to visitors.

Edit. Had to quote this member directly since his thread was merged here.

Last edited:
This just started happening to me today. Having an interstitial page popup everytime I click a link does not motivate me to stop using my browser.

It does make the sherdog experience very annoying though.

Back