*** Anthony Joshua vs. Francis Ngannou Aftermath Discussion MEGA THREAD ***

He should've pulled that "I'm not hurt after all" and just swung hard after getting up the second time.. Joshua would not have seen it coming:)

This is precisely what people said would happen. Francis has enough skill and power to get lucky (see Fury knockdown) but end of the day most elite HWs batter him senseless.

Frank wanted money. He probably made more in those two fights than he would have in the UFC for 40 years.

Id hop in the ring with Fury and Joshua for 20
million too. Good on ya Francis!

We're now entering into the "Francis vs unknown, unranked fighter" phase of the experiment which will generate 0.0 buys.

He’s high risk, low reward now. Still some money to be made in his name, but don’t think he copes well against guys a tier down who are hungry.

I don't think so, experience is one thing yes. But the skills no, he's not fluid enough to be an elite boxer. He's too plodding, sluggish and predictable.
Yeah my objection was to "He's not built for boxing." Gotta disagree there. He IS physically built for it imo, he DOES have the natural talent, but doesn't have the education obviously. If he had pursued boxing instead of MMA from the beginning he could have potentially developped a style similar to Zhang's which could be effective. Of course this is all hypothetical.

He should've pulled that "I'm not hurt after all" and just swung hard after getting up the second time.. Joshua would not have seen it coming:)

The knockout reminded me of Super Punch Out for SNES after you knock a guy like Gabby Jay down and he gets up after 8 or 9 seconds. You just immediately throw one more haymaker and it's instant KO. Joshua had no respect for him at that point.

Compared to AJ, Jones punches like a girl, don't get it twisted. One has nothing to do with the other.

Frank lands that check hook he tried on a number of occasions, and it could have been AJ KO'd. AJ took this seriously and didn't fuck around. That final punch was brutal.

In boxing or MMA? Probably could do both relatively easily, boxing for sure.
I was making fun of how people would come to this conclusion now.
Weird how many people likes the post ,lol.
Has nothing to do with MMA, who knows how a fight between the two would have went down.

I remember Overeem saying Francis was lying about his age. Wonder what he knew.
They say a lot of the African fighters are older than they claim. I remember way back when with Sokoudjou, he was supposed to be in his early-mid twenties but looked like he was in his thirties ad there were claims that he was older than he said.

It happened in baseball also after 9/11. There a bunch of players from South America and the Caribbean who were found out to be many years older than they claimed after they had to get proper papers to stay in the US.

UFC athletes simply are not up to par athleticism or skill-wise compared to those of other combat sports, let alone major league sports. We saw how Israel Adesanya and Alex Pereira came into the UFC and blew through numerous champions and championship contenders just with some rudimentary TDD knowledge. We saw how highly ranked UFC fighters Ben Askren, Tyron Woodley, and Anderson Silva all got dropped/folded by a Youtube influencer. And now MMA's final hope Ngannou got knocked out cold.

And before you say that so-or-so other combat sport athlete would not last a minute against UFC fighters in MMA, never forget that Ray Mercer knocked a former UFC champion Tim Sylvia out cold in his prime. Nobody in MMA has ever achieved the converse - Ngannou was the closest but we just saw how that went.

The truth is that the UFC is barely a step up from BKFC - it's just mandated brawling under the guise of combining martial art styles. What do you expect when C-level boxers and kickboxers (which all UFC fighters are) go up against A-level boxers and kickboxers?
Also remember that James Toney got taken down by an ankle pick and humiliated by Randy Couture. There's a reason boxers wait for mma stars to cross over, instead of boxers crossing over themselves.

Also remember that James Toney got taken down by an ankle pick and humiliated by Randy Couture. There's a reason boxers wait for mma stars to cross over, instead of boxers crossing over themselves.

I’m sure it’s got nothing to do with the top boxers having to be willing to take an astronomical pay cut.

You tell me, what MMA organisation is going to give boxers the same sort of pay rise that MMA guys get.

Yeah my objection was to "He's not built for boxing." Gotta disagree there. He IS physically built for it imo, he DOES have the natural talent, but doesn't have the education obviously. If he had pursued boxing instead of MMA from the beginning he could have potentially developped a style similar to Zhang's which could be effective. Of course this is all hypothetical.

It's all good, I wish Ngannou the best no matter what. He's a very good man. So whatever he does, all the power to him.

allegedly 8 million vs Jones, from there, to what 2 million? to another 2 at best, and im being generous, 12 million in 3 fights, here he allegedly has got 10m and 20m, and if there is a 3rd fight it could be something like 5 million, its 35 vs 12 million...even if he wins the Jones fight, the pay would have dropped as the UFC wouldnt pay that high against someone like Pavlovich, and because the UFC mostly pays in PPV points and a small purse, no way he gets anything close to 8 million, even in victory imo, in defeat? well, they went to boxing for a reason, it paid off i would say.

Its going to be interesting if he can land a 3rd fight in boxing, with the Fury results i was hoping for AJ and Wilder, Wilder just lost to Parker, thats a good one, lots of name value and not the best boxer around, not younger or as big as him, both just lost, it could happen by december maybe and then he is gone for good, or skip that and go back to PFL around that same time.
The intrigue for Francis to box top boxers is all but evaporated. Unless the Saudi’s wanna pay for a giant punching bag for Wilder, big Frank may want to go back to MMA because another devastating KO at his age signals the end of his career, imo.

They say a lot of the African fighters are older than they claim. I remember way back when with Sokoudjou, he was supposed to be in his early-mid twenties but looked like he was in his thirties ad there were claims that he was older than he said.

It happened in baseball also after 9/11. There a bunch of players from South America and the Caribbean who were found out to be many years older than they claimed after they had to get proper papers to stay in the US.
Yeah I can believe it Sokoudjo was claiming to be 35 years old here in 2021, looks closer to 45.

Rameau-Thierry-Sokoudjou-VBK1.jpg

He's officially still in his 30s now.

Back