Any of you sherbros going hunting this year? (Hunting brahs gtfih!)

It was an 1894 winchester not a pistol my bad I thought I had said. like this one

th

I loved that weapon and the day it was stolen from my house ( the ghetto funky funky ghetto) I was really upset.

Already had thee 629 smith and wes revolver and i figured id get a rifle so that I could screw around in the woods without having to carry 5 kinds of bullets
I have this exact gun. For home protection. It's a cannon.

I actually wasn't sure if you meant pistol or rifle. That's still a good shot though. That's a nice gun! I'd be pissed if it got stolen. I want a 30-30 Winchester.

Yea its one of the better shots i have ever taken. I had the hog down in this ravine with a few buddies up the hill and i was waiting for them to come in but my buddies dad gets bloodlust and started to get excited and we were noticed.I didnt want my hog to run off I had been having a hard time getting position on one all day and I thought I could do it i had a lot of practice with that gun so I took the shot. I really could talk about it all day I loved that trip

Hornady also really helps those folks make some great rounds to help you get the most bang out of your weapon

I have this exact gun. For home protection. It's a cannon.

You could do worse. guns with huge muzzles and noisy actions also serve the purpose of warning your would be assailant that shit is about to get heavy

Yea its one of the better shots i have ever taken. I had the hog down in this ravine with a few buddies up the hill and i was waiting for them to come in but my buddies dad gets bloodlust and started to get excited and we were noticed.I didnt want my hog to run off I had been having a hard time getting position on one all day and I thought I could do it i had a lot of practice with that gun so I took the shot. I really could talk about it all day I loved that trip

Hornady also really helps those folks make some great rounds to help you get the most bang out of your weapon
Sounds like a good hunt. I shoot Hornady ammo too. I actually compared it to Winchester & the Hornady grouped better out of my 243

You could do worse. guns with huge muzzles and noisy actions also serve the purpose of warning your would be assailant that shit is about to get heavy

Yep. It's also fun to go shooting. My idea was exactly what you said...if a warning shot needs to be fired a .22 wouldn't do it.

Sounds like a good hunt. I shoot Hornady ammo too. I actually compared it to Winchester & the Hornady grouped better out of my 243

I like winchester at the range just rego 180 loads are a blast but I need the power of that 300 grain xtp to kill a wild beast. I think i liked some winchester platinum rounds before I went on that hunt too but the hornadays were better in every way

Good stuff dude. You better get out there and get one man I would love to be allowed to hunt in michigan in summer weather.

I like winchester at the range just rego 180 loads are a blast but I need the power of that 300 grain xtp to kill a wild beast. I think i liked some winchester platinum rounds before I went on that hunt too but the hornadays were better in every way

Good stuff dude. You better get out there and get one man I would love to be allowed to hunt in michigan in summer weather.
Now days I'm actually shooting ammo that my buddy loads up for me. But yeah if you're just having fun at the range, no reason to buy the expensive shit.

I'm gonna try to make it out this weekend, but I have new born baby & a wedding to go to. Doubt I'll make it out

Oh, and for you PETA activists, let me just save you the time. Sure, we are all manlets with small penises that go around killing animals so we can feel like big men. Does that about cover it? Super original.

I've already been out hunting as our archery season starts pretty early here in Utah. I killed a small bull on our general season archery elk hunt a couple weeks ago. Soon I will have him and a grass fed free range lamb from my family's ranch in my freezer. I'm going to go all Joe Rogan this year and try to feel all cool by only eating meat from creatures that I have harvested or raised to butcher myself. I'll probably still eat factory raised meat once in awhile when going out to restaurants and stuff, but not very often. I still have a late season cow elk tag to hunt on later in the year as well. I have an archery deer tag that ends tomorrow, but I can still hunt one unit in my state that is an extended season that goes clear until the end of November. I'm fine with not filling all these tags as that would just be too much meat to handle eating in one year. Which of you doggers are going hunting and what and where?

I wish that everyone were man enough to only eat meat that they, themselves have raised or hunted.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to deer season. Going for a wild boar too.

Of course. Well not so much big game. They're outstanding predator and varmint guns.

Counting down the days until bow season here, it's my one real "obsession". Bought my first new bow since '02, getting it dialed in. Most of my stands are up, just need to get some blinds/stands set up for my oldest son who's almost 9. I also end up having to take my 7 year old with us as well, so we get a little crowded. He got his first deer last year, 6 pointer. Never seen him so proud.
We've gone squirrel hunting twice now, but there's a bumper crop of hickory nuts this year and we've not found the squirrels in their normal spots.
Wouldn't the squirrel literally blow up if you shot it with .223 and wouldn't be much left of the squirrel afterwards?

Yes, and some people do. Where I live there is magazine capacity rule for big game hunting that forbids magazines that carry more than 5 rounds, so you can't do it with the 20 rounds magazines or anything though. While the .223 can kill deer, it is considered a fairly light round for the job. The .308, however, is a wonderful big game hunting round.
I haven't come across that rule yet, but I understand it won't be fair to the animal if a hunter has 30 round mag. Where do you go hunting? Would you know a specific brand of 223 ammo that you personally use and know is effective against animals like deer, bears, boar, and elk? I want to get a .308 rifle, specifically the Ruger Precision rifle but that thing is $1,500.

Define big game.

For 5.56 Deer out to about 250-350 yards is about the max depending on barrel length and round choice. A couple examples of that would be.

Barnes 70gr TSX
Swift Scirocco II 75gr

Now AR15 has quite a few calibers and there is the AR10.

In the AR15 platform the 6.5 Grendel adds about 100-150 yards to 5.56's range.

In AR10 .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are great hunting calibers.

Then you have things like Falkor Defense's Petra in 300wm. Basically take anything in NA.
I would like to be able to hunt deer, elk, wild pigs, and bears. I have a Daniel Defense V11 that shoots 556/223 with a cheap 1-8x scope. I only have 5.56/ 55g full metal jacket as ammunition. Have you personally used the Barnes or the Swift ammo? I would like to know your thoughts on them.

I would like to be able to hunt deer, elk, wild pigs, and bears. I have a Daniel Defense V11 that shoots 556/223 with a cheap 1-8x scope. I only have 5.56/ 55g full metal jacket as ammunition. Have you personally used the Barnes or the Swift ammo? I would like to know your thoughts on them.

Elk is too large. It is small and you are very close it will probably get the job done.

I have them but I have not tested them yet. I've done quite a bit of research on them and both are excellent on hogs/deer from what I've seen. I've collected quite a few types of rounds to test out.

EyGkC3G.jpg

No, I could afford to go to Whole Foods and buy me meats.

Lol at hunting, what a primitive activity.

I've been spoiled. I have 489 acres of prime hunting ground in central missouri. I don't shoot any buck under 4 years old. I let em get big first. I have tons of does to fill the freezer

That's a nice spread ! Almost a square mile.

I've got a rental house that I plan on selling to fund a land purchase in the next 3-5 years. I'm in central VA and the land will be in the foothills of the Blueridge mtns ( Charlottesville area ) , 500 acres out here would set you back anywhere from 750 k to many millions depending on location. I'm aiming for and will have to be happy with 100 . Do you have a difficult time with trespassers ? I'd think a piece that size would be hard to police , though it sounds like you might live on it , and I won't be living on mine , or even on it everyday.

That's a nice spread ! Almost a square mile.

I've got a rental house that I plan on selling to fund a land purchase in the next 3-5 years. I'm in central VA and the land will be in the foothills of the Blueridge mtns ( Charlottesville area ) , 500 acres out here would set you back anywhere from 750 k to many millions depending on location. I'm aiming for and will have to be happy with 100 . Do you have a difficult time with trespassers ? I'd think a piece that size would be hard to police , though it sounds like you might live on it , and I won't be living on mine , or even on it everyday.
Yep it's almost a square mile. The property is even shaped square. My place is worth about 2 million but has lots of irrigated farm ground. Also has big barns & silos. Has a really big creek running through the length of the property. It's our family farm, so it's not all mine.

We don't have a major problem with trespassers but we do have the occasional problem. We had our cabin broken into once. We've had a few deer poached. We've had a bad problem with coon hunters & coyote hunters running their dogs. Lately it's been pretty quiet though. I live about 2 hours from my farm so I can't always be there to keep an eye on things. I'm sure there's been a lot more trespassing than I know about. Luckily most of the people in that area are respectful.

And good luck finding some property. I hope you find something really good. It's expensive, but at least it won't go down in value. I know some places here where you can get lucky & get it for about $1000 an acre

Yep it's almost a square mile. The property is even shaped square. My place is worth about 2 million but has lots of irrigated farm ground. Also has big barns & silos. Has a really big creek running through the length of the property. It's our family farm, so it's not all mine.

We don't have a major problem with trespassers but we do have the occasional problem. We had our cabin broken into once. We've had a few deer poached. We've had a bad problem with coon hunters & coyote hunters running their dogs. Lately it's been pretty quiet though. I live about 2 hours from my farm so I can't always be there to keep an eye on things. I'm sure there's been a lot more trespassing than I know about. Luckily most of the people in that area are respectful.

And good luck finding some property. I hope you find something really good. It's expensive, but at least it won't go down in value. I know some places here where you can get lucky & get it for about $1000 an acre

That sounds really nice man ! You are fortunate to have that at your disposal. My Dad has a little vacant piece , its only 20 acres , about 30 minutes from my house that we use for camping and having pig roasts , target shooting ECT and I feel fortunate to have that. I'm in the middle of the yuppyfied suburbs , so I appreciate the shit out of the open space.

How often are you able to get to your place? I think 2 hours is about the outer limit of where I'd like to be , ideally about 90 minutes. Do you find the drive a major obstacle to using it as much as you'd like?

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/147_Acres_in_Amherst_County-4696999/

A decent example of the something in the area I'm zeroed in on , though having decent water on it is a requirement for me.

Back