Anybody watching Mike Judge's SILICON VALLEY on HBO?

I don't know what the deal was with Richard turning into a badass at the end there, snubbing Gavin like that. The show had a real opportunity to jump into new territory by changing the whole narrative, getting off of the Gavin is bad/we need funding/small fish in a big pond, but instead, they defaulted to making the next season start off pretty much the same as this one. The show feels stuck in a loop, and they need to break out of it to get something fresh.

I don't know what the deal was with Richard turning into a badass at the end there, snubbing Gavin like that. The show had a real opportunity to jump into new territory by changing the whole narrative, getting off of the Gavin is bad/we need funding/small fish in a big pond, but instead, they defaulted to making the next season start off pretty much the same as this one. The show feels stuck in a loop, and they need to break out of it to get something fresh.

thankfully TJ Miller left the show. His stand up special looks so awful

thankfully TJ Miller left the show. His stand up special looks so awful
His style of comedy is not well-suited to standup it appears. In the first few seasons of Silicon Valley, I thought his character was well done though. He has since become a shell of himself though through complacency.

It's a sitcom, so it's hardly a surprise that things end back where they began. But with that said I thought they did a decent job of undercutting the kind of Hail Mary efforts that's saved them in the past.

First it was Anton, the workhorse they used to keep the company viable during the live streaming catastrophe a couple seasons back, not being enough this time. Then, they go to Big Head to save them, and that doesn't work. Finally, it's just petty fuckaround behavior that proves to be their salvation, which is a recurring theme.

I don't know if Erlich is as expendable as they've made him out to be. He was definitely useless as a character trait, but he ultimately drove all of the major plotting this season. He had leave Richard alone with the insurance guy's wife, he provided the inspiration for Jin Yiang's breakthrough that got him rich, and in turn introduced the smart fridge. He put the team contact with the VR guy, adding merging their technologies and making it sensible for him to connect with Hooli, creating the exploding phone problem. Basically, without him, it's a few guys trying to get a utility app off the ground.

His style of comedy is not well-suited to standup it appears. In the first few seasons of Silicon Valley, I thought his character was well done though. He has since become a shell of himself though through complacency.

I liked him at first as well, and also feel he fell off big time.

And also agreed his style of comedy is very not well suited for stand up. If what HBO showed in the commercial were some of the highlights of his special, well I pity anyone who watches it, in its entirety.

He relies on timing and his divert, which works in a sitcom or movie script... but it is not like Norm Macsonalds timing and delivery.. it is like the opposite

It was pure hilarity finding out that the smart fridges saved the day. I fucking hate those things. They're so pointless, but yet somehow the show found an actual use for them.

Solid season but I thought the finale was the weakest episode in awhile.

Erlich being left behind in tibet smoking opium lmfao
I'm not sure why people are complaining about the way the character was dealt.

I personally found it hilarious that it seemed slapped together at the last minute, and I feel that's what Mike Judge was going for.
It reminded me of South Park killing of chef or something where it just like happened and then continued on lol.

I read an interview with TJ Miller where he said how happy he is with the way he exits and how organic it was, how it felt time and wont be coming back cause it was so well made. W.T.F? They made him a heroin..im sorry...opium which is so much better..addict and that somehow portrays a happy ending for his character. Whatever.

Other than that, I wonder how many seasons can they really do, the story seems to be going around in a circle a lot.

Erlich has probably had the most ups and downs of any character on this series, most being of his own doing. However, you got to see the toll its taken on him this last season. I don't think I can recall the last time I legit felt bad for a tv show character as I did when Erlich lost his job at Breem-Hall and fucked by Keenan. He now gets to spend his days high as a kite and not give a shit about anything, for once.

I liked him at first as well, and also feel he fell off big time.

And also agreed his style of comedy is very not well suited for stand up. If what HBO showed in the commercial were some of the highlights of his special, well I pity anyone who watches it, in its entirety.

He relies on timing and his divert, which works in a sitcom or movie script... but it is not like Norm Macsonalds timing and delivery.. it is like the opposite
Yeah, he can play the obnoxious asshole as a member of a troupe, and it fits in pretty well. When he's on his own, the obnoxious asshole is taken as, well, being an obnoxious asshole.

Yeah, he can play the obnoxious asshole as a member of a troupe, and it fits in pretty well. When he's on his own, the obnoxious asshole is taken as, well, being an obnoxious asshole.
It's like everyone accepting the asshole in the group. He's cool until he leaves the group, and then he's just an asshole again.

I watched 20 minutes of tjs stand up and turned it off. It wasn't for me. I think hes best in small doses

If you saw the show, you saw the movie. Same stuff.

That's what I assumed based off comments of movie watchers around me. Seemed like a quick cash grab rather than a real plot line that would set the movie apart from the show.

lol at richard going full heel

but it's actually how it would work in real life

Wouldn't mind if Heel Richard sticks around.

Back