Anyone Else Just Feel Old Tonight?

The worst comes when we become irrelevant. Just wait until you're in your 60's-70's. Not only will you be in a world you don't recognize/enjoy anymore, but it will be a world that doesn't recognize you, and there won't be any place for you. You'll wonder what the hell you're doing, and why you're here if what you do doesn't matter.

Guys need purpose. It's not about fitting in, or being loved, or even being accepted. We need to be useful, and if we don't have any use, we're miserable. That's why we generally die after we retire.

I don't hear this from old men who created families and are still in good terms with them. The final chapters of your life involve being there for your wife, children and then grandchildren. Even an uncle is a great thing to be.

If that's not there for you then yeah, gotta be hard to wake up every day for some other 'purpose'. Materialism isn't a substitute for people, the former won't be there for you in your final days, and whether you are religious or an atheist you can't take that stuff with you when you're gone.

I don't hear this from old men who created families and are still in good terms with them. The final chapters of your life involve being there for your wife, children and then grandchildren. Even an uncle is a great thing to be.

If that's not there for you then yeah, gotta be hard to wake up every day for some other 'purpose'. Materialism isn't a substitute for people, the former won't be there for you in your final days, and whether you are religious or an atheist you can't take that stuff with you when you're gone.
I have nieces and nephews, and I'm the favorite uncle. But I have no kids.

The truth is that as much as I do for them, and as much as they adore me now, they won't when they get older. They will be very busy, and they won't have a place for me in their lives. Most people don't even take care of their parents, let alone some old uncle. Basically the last decade of my life will be agony. But I'm prepared for it

The passing of time and aging is certainly an observation.

Yeah I saw a card with fighters I had no clue who they were. I used to know every fighter in every weight class.

Everything just seems so watered down now. Everyone tries too hard with the fake tough guy act. No one has any personality. Things just don't feel how they used to before a big fight.

I joined Sherdog 2002, got banned twice.. but I've held onto this account for 18 years now. I was 17 and basically came on here to troll and wind people up. I'm 40 this year and time has flown by.. all our fighting idols have come and gone.

Watching Tito vs Chuck 3 still gives me nightmares.

He’s trying to gauge our ages for data collection purposes. Unreal.
<EdgyBrah>

Some days I realize I’m old, then again I still have a shit ton of living to do.

Some say at first you don’t have any money, but have all the energy and time to do stuff. Then you have money and energy, but no time. Then when you are old, you probably have the money and time, but no energy.

I hope it’s not exactly like that, ha

<EdgyBrah>

Some days I realize I’m old, then again I still have a shit ton of living to do.

Some say at first you don’t have any money, but have all the energy and time to do stuff. Then you have money and energy, but no time. Then when you are old, you probably have the money and time, but no energy.

I hope it’s not exactly like that, ha

You have to retire early in order to bypass that inevitability..

I think it’s emphasized more because we’re watching a physical sport. Athleticism breaks down sooner which is what we witness but as far as potential in life there’s still a lot of opportunities. But things go by quick even then. I’m not old but I can see where things are heading occasionally. Can’t let life slip away but it’s hard to do when every year is shorter and shorter.

worked in a bar in Tokyo 1997, huge guy stands next to me, Paul Varelans fighting in Japan, not UFC yet.
Andy Hug, looking battered working out in the same gym as me, now all dead......
Then many years later, 20? Iwas training in mike swicks AKA, this young kid Tai, big funny kid whishing to fight in the ufc one day, he was training with soa paleilei and mark hunt.
All retired and Tai figting Cyril Gane for the UFCbelt .....wow 30years of MMA just flew by....

Last edited:
Most people don't really have to worry about maintaining peak physical performance. Looking at an athlete's decline is sad, at times, but it doesn't really reflect on most of us, many will feel themselves more "useful" in their 40s and 50s due to accumulated wisdom.

Nope - 55 here and the energy from 283 was awesome. Event flew by for me and I was pretty hopped up by the end (like 2am here I think).

Shopping, tending muh garden then will see what blood is on the docket for the day...

There's plenty on Sherdog.

Have you not heard these guys analyze staredowns?

A psychiatrist and a Shookologist are slightly different, it takes a few more years of training to become a registered Shookologist.

Reactions: HHJ
If you feel bad now ask yourself how you will feel in 10 years

Shogun was hanging onto his fight careet by the skin of his teeth. His skills have been remarkably diminished over the years at an exponential rate. I reminded myself he was the best LHW in 2005. That was 18 fucking years ago

Last edited:
Shogun is in his 40's, never thought this day would come...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back