Anyone Else Just Feel Old Tonight?

Do you think shoguns grappling defense has improved since then?

Ed Herman was a legend, he was doing things modern guys still do today, mma wasnt like that in past. While his brother pee wee was publically shamed for doing something alot of people also do today, Ed was a pioneer
Herman is a legend now ….good grief

Seeing Shogun retire hurt a bit.

It is okay we just gotta find new fighters to root for.

Reactions: HHJ
When all the fighters are younger than you it’s a sad moment for sure. Your physical prime is in the rear view mirror

When you see all the fighters you grew up with get old, beat up, and retire, you take a moment and realize that you're not young anymore either.

Shogun and Glover retiring on the same night, a beautiful look back at Jose Aldo's career as they break the news that he'll be in the HoF. Royce Gracie in the crowd. It's all got me asking, "Where did all the time go, Sherbros?"

I don't know who will actually read all this, but I'm feeling it tonight. Please mods, don't move this for whatever reason. I need to hear from my Sherbros tonight.

Nothing will touch the early days, everyone says that. I'm saying it too. The fights, the music, the world, it's part of the deal. Doesn't mean you don't believe it with all your heart. The early years with the tournaments and craziness and multiple fights a night and returning heroes three times or four times a year fighting for peanuts or nothing but the glory and legitimacy. I don't give a fuck, it was the pinnacle, as a lifelong sportsfan, there will never be the level of excitement and on the edge nerves of the early days. This wasn't a toughman contest, many of the early people were the hall of famers, not schlubs. It couldn't have been for the money. People legitimately moving on for contracts today vs people looking for true nhb fights for the fights and dna. Yeah, I was beyond sad Glover and Shogun in one night and in Brazil, last of what was, ... the Rio retrospective was brutal. I was working on my version of this thread, when I took break and saw yours. I might post mine later, as it's just sitting there, but couldn't not post here and reply.

When you see all the fighters you grew up with get old, beat up, and retire, you take a moment and realize that you're not young anymore either.

And no, it's not just about fighting, but when you realize that there's a new generation of people entering their prime years, you realize that you're no longer in yours.

Getting old sucks, but the worst part is that no one young understands what an advantage they have and also you find yourself looking back a lot and asking, "Where did all the time go?"

I swear it was just yesterday that Shogun and Machida had an epic (but respectful) rivalry and Shogun was the first man to beat Machida and became UFC LHW champion. It was just yesterday that Glover made his long awaited UFC debut and Chuck passed the torch to him.

Shogun and Glover retiring on the same night, a beautiful look back at Jose Aldo's career as they break the news that he'll be in the HoF. Royce Gracie in the crowd. It's all got me asking, "Where did all the time go, Sherbros?"

I don't know who will actually read all this, but I'm feeling it tonight. Please mods, don't move this for whatever reason. I need to hear from my Sherbros tonight.
Throughout my my 20’s, I’d ask the guys who were about to retire, “How was it?” Without fail, each and every single one said “It goes by fast.”

I took that to heart knowing one day when I retire I’d feel exactly the same…and made it a point to live my life to the fullest… Last year I had 3 docs tell me I might have cancer (luckily all three were wrong) and I remember thinking I had no regrets…just thought if it is cancer, I should eat as much yummy food in case I start chemo and lose my appetite or sense of taste…

Like anything good or bad in life, while you’re in the middle of it, it seems like time moves at a certain pace… but when it’s over and you look back…feels like it was but a moment.. That feeling keeps me reminded whenever life ends, it’ll seem like it went by fast…so don’t waste the present…

It's not entirely just that a wave of fighting heroes are fading away, it's a whole ball game passing away. True, today's fighters are a different breed skill-wise, but that's because of what came before. That's not old man talk, everyone has eyes and access to the past now. Not just sayin', ...just sayin. I don't know that I'll delete my thread, I had some linear thoughts, but saw yours and couldn't not be here.

The worst comes when we become irrelevant. Just wait until you're in your 60's-70's. Not only will you be in a world you don't recognize/enjoy anymore, but it will be a world that doesn't recognize you, and there won't be any place for you. You'll wonder what the hell you're doing, and why you're here if what you do doesn't matter.

Guys need purpose. It's not about fitting in, or being loved, or even being accepted. We need to be useful, and if we don't have any use, we're miserable. That's why we generally die after we retire.

If you feel old overnight, then it means that you didn't take care of yourself in your prime because you were(and possibly still are) an idiot. If you took care of yourself, the aging process would go gradual and not so devastating.

You feel old overnight because your body has reached its ceilling and it comes crashing down now after years of alcohol abuse(and possibly other substances but I'll give you the benfit of the doubt) junkfood diet, neglected sleep, maybe had physical issues from your job and didn't go to the doctor and instead toughed it out, cooking yourself in the hot sun/UV rays.

Of course there's nothing wrong with doing these things in moderation to enjoy life, but it will come back to bite you in the ass if you overdo it.

Unless you had a disease, it doesn't have to go like that. You're just paying the price for your gluttony.

Back