Anyone have wisdom teeth pulled lately?

wow I'm suprised to hear it's so painful. I had mine taken out and refused to take pain meds. I was actually playing basketball the day after and remember bleeding a lot and needing to stop but the pain was never unbearable. I just didn't move my mouth and sipped on soup all day

i had 3 extracted. The top one was virtually unnoticeable, got ripped right out in 2 seconds,, no pain nothing.

I went home right after and ate solid food. That must've been when the painkillers were still on b/c 1 hour later, my pain levels shot up. I was able to eat solid food though it though. By the next day, the sharp pains were mostly gone. After about 3 days, everything returned to normal.

I'm getting all 4 out this year. I'm 29 and have had them in for over 10 years with no issues. The dentist suggested I get them out due to my gums partially covering up by bottom ones. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Hopefully I get some gnarly pain killers...

i had all 4 taken out at once, all impacted. took a week before it healed decent enough that it wasnt constantly bleeding, 2 weeks before i was feeling mostly better. your face is extremely swollen

I had all 4 "removed" at once. Top two just popped out, a little pressure but no prob. The bottom two took almost two hours of the dentist chipping and prying and busting them out. Blood all over my chest and neck, head to toe covered in sweat. It was insane, completely conscious. Traumatising actually. The bloody gauze and pain lasted a few days... Brutal!

...and I think they gave me 8 Vic 500's. I was like wtf, that will do nothing. Luckily my mom worked at a pharmacy and for some reason had a bottle of 750's that she gave me. Thanks ma...

this thread scares me lol
opie's picture just made it worse too and idky xD

but have one wisdom tooth and there's definitely not enough room back there for it and
i mean, idk, i try hard to keep it clean back there bc this guy told me he had same thing and it just rotted out! o:

sometimes it hurts a lotttttttttt but i mean only every few months so lol i let it go
bc am also terrified of dentist and how painful yoinking it out would be and
cry.gif

I had all 4 out at once under anaesthetic cause I'm a scaredy cat ha ha. Was fine, was eating soft pasta by the next night, would do it again.

I had mines pulled two at a time.I remember having two pulled was pain enough so I don't know how you guys managed the pain with having all four pulled at once lol.

Last edited:
I got all 4 done in 2002. I remember the pain being pretty bad and I missed about a week of work--part time retail. The swelling was bad for a full week and the pain lasted a month or so. The worst was spitting blood and pulling bone fragments out.

My brother had one (maybe more) pulled Friday. He was in and out. They even let him drive home. When I had mine done, they put me to sleep and I lived off of Percocet for the next few days.

As stated in the title, my left wisdom tooth was impacted, I never had any issues until just recently and we had the maxillofacialsurgeon pull both top wisdom teeth.

I'm 43 y.o, and the pain I'm in right now is awful, the extraction was on Thursday, I've been eating oxycodone around the clock and it's barely tolerable. Out of curiosity how much longer will the acute pain be at its worst? I figured the acute surgical pain would have subsided some by now, I had back surgery nearly a year ago and this is a much more terrible pain in every sense. Any experiences, input, or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks... Ben

It's been a long time.
I remember bleeding a lot more than expected during/after.
But I don't remember the pain lasting all that long. 3 days of excruciating sounds pretty excessive.

I had one wisdom tooth pulled in 2001. Took about 5 minutes and had zero pain afterwards and healed in like a week. I just had my second, and last, wisdom tooth out about two months ago. The top of it was completely cracked off and the nerve got exposed which hurt like hell. I went in and got a local anesthesia and it took the dentist about 30 minutes to get it out. Since it was too brittle to get from the top and pull out, he had to get behind it and basically push it out. I was in significant pain afterwards for about a week, but only took advil and excedrin. I think the pain was mostly from him jamming sharp metal tools through my gums and not the extraction itself. Anyway, pain went away and it healed nicely. Glad I don't have any more to get out.

I had two wisdom teeth taken out at the same time. One was almost completely gone and they said it would be a problem. But that one came right out. The other one was a bitch. I guess the roots were curved so it wouldn't come straight out. So for probably more than 90 minutes I had this tiny little lady yanking at it. For the last while the numbing had worn off but I just let them keep going to speed things up. That wasn't fun. I cycled home against their recommendations.

But I guess I was lucky. I recovered quick. The next day I wasn't even thinking about it. My dentist called to check on me. She seemed really surprised that I was at work and not even thinking about the procedure. I never needed any pain pills or anything.

Defo sound like dry socket. Go back to return your dentist, they'll clean it put in some clove based material and give you antibiotics. Should sort it out really quick after that

I had one of mine pulled on friday (fucker bumped in to the next tooth to create a unreacheable caries in the place where they joined).

It was one of the difficult ones (they cut the bones and removed the tooth in pieces), small pain only been bothering me when I eat .

What sucked was the bleeding, 6 hours after surgery I could not stop the bleeding and it was getting worse, went to the doc and he injected me something to make it stop, 5 minutes later it was all ok.

Contact your surgeon and have it check there could be some growths that needs to be removed or they just need to put some more sealant to speed up the healing.

Got mines done 2 years ago, they numbed me up and pulled it out. It wasn't that bad, I didn't need pain killers after day 2.

I now know why the pain was so horrible, I ended up getting a severe sinus infection from having the teeth pulled, not an enjoyable few days. Quit taking the oxy's today and now just shuffling between Tylenol and motrin every 4 hours, oh and sudafed too...lol.

I actually had both tops pulled, I spoke to the maxofacial surgeon who did me on the phone and he said he isn't surprised I'm hurting because he had some issues getting the tooth to go, he litterally said he had to use some horsepower... When I told him I had puss coming out of my nose, he knew exactly what happened, he perforated the sinus cavity and it became a bad few days for me.... Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
They gave me Vicodin and it just put me to sleep anytime I took it. So I pretty much just slept through all the pain.

***Update***

So I found out after the X-rays that they had perforated into my sinus cavity, this was a possible but rare co placating while having your top wisdom teeth pulled. I had to have surgery again to close the sinus perforation, that was last week, so I'm back on the sofa as a vegetable eating pain killers and generally hating life. They had to wait for the wisdom teeth to fully heal and they've been feeding me augmenten for the past 6 weeks to keep an nasty infections away.

Bottom line is if your an older fellow 40+ and they want to pull your wisdom teeth, remember that the chance of complications is much higher and if you end up like me a simple tooth extraction can end up being a long and painful ordeal.

Back