Anyone remember VHS double cassette films?

Yep, i reckon the last one i bought was the Metallica Cunning Stunts double VHS, now it's on a thing called "Youtube"

I remember getting WWF Wrestlemania 4 VHS and it was a double cassette and also it was awesome because when you opened it a pop out version of Hulk Hogan would come out. Great tape and design! loved it.

I tracked down an explanation behind this double cassette version of Heat that none of us have ever seen before. It’s a bootleg apparently. Found the source of the photo on Reddit from the owner.

Commercially released films were always able to exceed the 2-hour recording limit imposed by recording on SP quality, but that wouldn’t be the case for a bootleg as blank VHS tapes off the shelf from stores if you were to record on SP quality had a hard stop at two hours, so a bootleg of a film like Heat which was about 2 hours and 50 minutes who absolutely need two tapes if it was using your typical off the shelf blank tapes.

View attachment 1038745

@ICHEERTHEBULL
@Stump

I don't know why you guys keep bringing up Heat as a single tape VHS.
I worked at Blockbuster at the time when Heat was released on VHS, and ALWAYS had to check for the 2nd tape. We open the VHS shells when you return video's to make sure you didn't put a different tape in the box.
When people returned double cassette films, the 2nd attached shell would always have a missing tape.
I clearly remember Heat coming in 2-cassettes because I remember having to insert tape #2 right when Deniro is having sex.

The red cover box is a bootleg, I agree. The blue cover box is NOT a bootleg and it was packaged as a double cassette.
Unfortunately, I cannot be able to tell 1996 me to take a picture on a Polaroid as proof and scan it because digital camera's were nonexistent at that time and neither was USB. Plus, I have a nonfunctioning time machine.

81nWXrsYwDL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Last edited:
I remember getting WWF Wrestlemania 4 VHS and it was a double cassette and also it was awesome because when you opened it a pop out version of Hulk Hogan would come out. Great tape and design! loved it.
I just got WCW Mayhem 99 on VHS a couple days ago. Good find of the day imo. Always looking for wrasslin tapes.

I don't know why you guys keep bringing up Heat as a single tape VHS.
I worked at Blockbuster at the time when Heat was released on VHS, and ALWAYS had to check for the 2nd tape. We open the VHS shells when you return video's to make sure you didn't put a different tape in the box.
When people returned double cassette films, the 2nd attached shell would always have a missing tape.
I clearly remember Heat coming in 2-cassettes because I remember having to insert tape #2 right when Deniro is having sex.

The red cover box is a bootleg, I agree. The blue cover box is NOT a bootleg and it is packaged as a double cassette.
Unfortunately, I cannot be able to tell 1995 me to take a picture on a Polaroid as proof and scan it because digital camera's were nonexistent at that time and neither was USB.

81nWXrsYwDL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

My brother owns it on VHS and it is a single cassette

IMG_6028.jpeg

I’ve done some further sleuthing and apparently the widescreen version was two cassettes while the 4:3 aspect ratio release was on one cassette.

I just got WCW Mayhem 99 on VHS a couple days ago. Good find of the day imo. Always looking for wrasslin tapes.
Woah nice find!!! I only have 6 VHS tapes and none are WCW, but I would love to get my hands on some WCW.

I have:
WWF Wrestlemania 4
WWF King of the Ring 1993
WWF Mega Matches 95
WWF World Tour
WWF Royal Rumble 2000
WWF Wrestlemania 17

I go to lots of thrift stores but haven't seen a WCW VHS yet, I'm always looking for stuff like that. I was looking at getting Royal Rumble 1992 on ebay as thats one of my favorite events, but it was expensive for a good clean copy.. and lots of bids!.

There was D-VHS which had HD movies on casettes

Time stamped:

1713005242369.jpeg

The worst was when video games came on multiple discs or floppies

View attachment 1038728

View attachment 1038729

Holy shit Phantasmagoria. I haven't thought about that game since I was in Grade 9 (almost 25 years ago) - FMV video games always seemed so promising in concept, but disappointing in execution.

PS: Phantasmagoria showed full frontal nudity - one of the key reasons for me wanting the game.

My family received a red sportscar external video tape rewinder unit for christmas one year. Suddenly rewinding went from a chore nobody did to a privilege my brother and I would fight over. That thing was FAST, it would rewind a tape in like 12 seconds.
Vintage Red Sports Car (VHS) Video Cassette Rewinder 2001 - beinside ...

Whoever thought of giving that device a sports car shape was a genius.

I'd imagine the little car just tearing through the street at a high speed. And then when it ended it automatically opened so you could just pull the tape out. I almost imagined smoke coming out of it because it rewinded so fast.

I remember music cassette tapes having an A and B side, video games having 2 discs. Not old enough for that though.
Some games are still on multiple discs (like FF7R and RDR2).

Woah nice find!!! I only have 6 VHS tapes and none are WCW, but I would love to get my hands on some WCW.

I have:
WWF Wrestlemania 4
WWF Mega Matches 95
WWF World Tour
WWF Royal Rumble 2000
WWF Wrestlemania 17

I go to lots of thrift stores but haven't seen a WCW VHS yet, I'm always looking for stuff like that. I was looking at getting Royal Rumble 1992 on ebay as thats one of my favorite events, but it was expensive for a good clean copy.. and lots of bids!.
Gotta be careful about the official VHS releases because they'll dub over any real music used.
And the Royal Rumble 1992 tape has the edited crowd noise (people cheered when Sid eliminated Hogan on the original broadcast).

Some games are still on multiple discs (like FF7R and RDR2).
Fake news. If you buy a game now it still downloads 50 gb to be able to play it.

Unless you're talking Xbox 360 there's no modern games that come 2 disc.

I have:
WWF Wrestlemania 4
WWF Mega Matches 95
WWF World Tour
WWF Royal Rumble 2000
WWF Wrestlemania 17

Nice! Got a little collection going there.

I only have two other wrestling tapes:
Backlash
Wrestlemania X

All from the same shop. All the other places are Christian run and wrestling isn’t very holy apparently lol.

Gotta be careful about the official VHS releases because they'll dub over any real music used.
And the Royal Rumble 1992 tape has the edited crowd noise (people cheered when Sid eliminated Hogan on the original broadcast).
Interesting. Something for me to look out for when I watch.

My brother owns it on VHS and it is a single cassette

View attachment 1039081

I’ve done some further sleuthing and apparently the widescreen version was two cassettes while the 4:3 aspect ratio release was on one cassette.
You did also often have a difference in the kind of tapes used for rental vs those for sale, rental tapes would use more heavy duty tape within them so I'm guessing perhaps had a shorter maximum lenght? I'm guessing Heat with trailers as well maybe ended up just over 3 hours long.

Back