Television Anyone watching squid games on netflix

He was an idiot in money and in the outside world but within the game he did some smart moves like the tug of war and managed to survive by manipulating his partner on the marbles game. The main character didnt do jackshit throughout but get lucky. And if anything he had help at the marbles game because the old guy who was the true mastermind of the squid games faked his memory loss to let the dude win the marbles back when in reality he was 1 marble away from being killed. Cheated.

In that case even the MC was smart as well. He figured out the honeycomb game. Which IMO took way more brains then anything else the friend did.

The marble game wasn't him being smart that was just him being able to manipulate one of the most naïve people in that show. It was so obvious he was manipulating him you have to be brain dead not to figure it out. "Hey we need to keep the marbles safe by tying them around your neck instead of you just holding them in your hand". It made no sense. You couldn't use violence to take the marbles so just hold them in your hand.

The MC didn't cheat. The old man cheated and gave the guy a break. That's not his fault though and in reality it was a reward because he picked the old man as a teammate even though no one wanted him.

I saw that it is #1 in the U.S. and thought, hang on, most folks hate reading movies but this is #1?!

I started it. It is good Netflix stuff. The kind of thing that is fun and just breezes along.

I saw that it is #1 in the U.S. and thought, hang on, most folks hate reading movies but this is #1?!

I think most are over subtitles. Back before international cinema really cracked the West, you'd hear that sentiment a lot("I pay to watch a movie, not read a movie!"). Like maybe 25 years ago or so. Today, that shit is mostly relegated to the people who still think "widescreen" presentation is cutting off parts of the screen. I think people in general have become more educated on film over the years, and have dropped a lot of ignorant stances on it. A lot of 80's and 90's kids seriously got into it, and they've been passing that interest down. Not to mention other international pop culture mediums crossing over, and making those cultural barriers more and more obsolete.

I'm here to save everyone a lot of time. The old man is the creator of the games, he was never in any actual danger. The guy running the games is the cops long lost brother. The main character wins it in the end by killing his childhood friend. He gets the ladies kid brother out of the orphanage, gives him a ton of cash, and then like some kind of idiot goes to get back into the game again because suicide apparently sounds fun.

There, now you don't have to waste your time on this show. It doesn't do anything new, or interesting with the story. It's cliche as fuck and dull to the point of being painful.
Damn you’re a salty bitch. Good thing I’ve watched it already

They literally setup the ending at the very beginning of the show. Also his friend wasn't that smart it's just what the MC believed. If you saw all the shit his friend caused you should have realized he was an idiot that caused people to lose a lot of money and caused his own mother to lose her business.
I wouldn't call him an idiot necessarily, but he certainly wasn't the genius that he tried to portray himself as. His main skill was taking big risks and leaving others to cover the costs of failure. Sort of a paradox because I would say he was good at gambling, but truth is more like he was a sociopath addicted to gambling and just good at using people. I reckon he cheated his way through school.

I think 456 was good at getting people to see the humanity in themselves. Gaining the North Korean girl's trust, getting the old man to show kindness, and showing the old friend what a monster he had become at the cost of those who trusted him most. They always seemed to die though, and they were defense/coping mechanisms for their survival, so maybe that's a statement about their world.

The games were all arbitrary and meaningless, people working together to get ahead, and just as quick to throw those closest to them under the bus. It wasn't a system that rewarded the traits we'd call good. I think it was an indictment on our capitalistic system, essentially a giant game of marbles.

The show was alright, I don't regret the time I spent watching it. Doesn't say a whole lot new and the twists can be predictable at times, but ultimately were still satisfying. I think there was probably a lot more potential and the message was a bit muddied at times. But overall I'd recommend it if anyone thinks they might be interested.
To me everything builds to the marble game and everything after is just fallout. Showing the best and worst of people and had the top three most emotional moments of the show. I called the twist of the game once I realized it would basically force you to kill the person you trusted most and vice versa.

I think most are over subtitles. Back before international cinema really cracked the West, you'd hear that sentiment a lot("I pay to watch a movie, not read a movie!"). Like maybe 25 years ago or so. Today, that shit is mostly relegated to the people who still think "widescreen" presentation is cutting off parts of the screen. I think people in general have become more educated on film over the years, and have dropped a lot of ignorant stances on it. A lot of 80's and 90's kids seriously got into it, and they've been passing that interest down. Not to mention other international pop culture mediums crossing over, and making those cultural barriers more and more obsolete.

Did you guys not watch it in English?

Irrelevant. Besides, on any given year for the past decade, nearly half of the Korean top box office have been American films. For the record, I think movies like Vanilla Sky are stupid, too. Ironically, Korea even had their own Running Man.

Shit is worn the fuck out.

Considering Squid Games is on track to be Netflix's biggest show success, you are firmly in the minority here

https://nypost.com/2021/09/28/squid-game-could-become-netflixs-biggest-show-ever/amp/

The ending is stupid. In the beginning the main character of the show was a total pussy but in the end he was a beast to contend with that managed to beat up a much more powerful and smarter player. What a crock of shit it was. The ending was a joke and doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I didn't like that too. It wasn't earned.

Also why did the masked guy just execute his own brother in cold blood?

So it's a bit like Battle Royale?
Shame, I'm not doing subtitles anymore.

One theory I read was that when the man first approached Seong in the subway to play the game, Seong had two choices to pick from. A blue card and a red card. That choice could have determined if he was in the game or if he was a guard.

But how would that explain the connection between the doctor and the corupt guards doing the organ smuggling?

Did you guys not watch it in English?
Not one of the ones you quoted but I did I cut my teeth on Kurosawa movies as a teen, so subs are second nature to me, but my wife hates them and I was lucky to get her to watch it with me period. The dub sounded awful to me at first but got tolerable later once I started seeing it as a live action anime. The old man became super tedious to listen to by the end though, and the VIP's are awful but that wasn't the dub's fault.

God no. Dubs are poison.

Interesting. Care to expound on that? Do you find the dialog closer to the original in text rather than dub?

I grew up watching old bad Kung fu movies where the dub was like 2 seconds off, so I'm generally impressed with how well they're able to do it now (the studio tech has come sooooo far, so to be fair to the old school guys, it's much easier today).

Interesting. Care to expound on that? Do you find the dialog closer to the original in text rather than dub?

I grew up watching old bad Kung fu movies where the dub was like 2 seconds off, so I'm generally impressed with how well they're able to do it now (the studio tech has come sooooo far, so to be fair to the old school guys, it's much easier today).
Those old Kung Fu dubs are notoriously terrible, usually they were done super cheap and were mostly an afterthought. I want to say even the "original" language on those is often a dub from Cantonese to Mandarin, so the budget was stretched already.

Pretty much anything like this series is going to be better with subtitles. The original acting is probably higher quality than the voice actors unless it's like Studio Ghibli movies that get Disney budgets for big actors doing voicework. The subtitles allow for a more accurate translation since they don't have to match the mouth movement and can squeeze more in time wise.

First episode was great, definitely has my attention and I’m not usually big on foreign media.

Wish I started watching this before starting Midnight Mass because holy hell that show is boring asf, but the Mrs wants to finish it.

Back