Television Anyone watching squid games on netflix

i can't remember the last time i watch anything on Netflix, i just pay for it to retain the option.

Interesting. Care to expound on that? Do you find the dialog closer to the original in text rather than dub?

It's about the performances, really. You're basically listening to somebody trying emote what the actors are doing from a sound booth, and it's always off-putting. To me there's little difference than if you were to dub English speaking actors' performances with some guy's voice. Imagine watching a movie with some guy over-dubbing a Gary Oldman performance. It would be awful, right? That's pretty much how I feel about dubbing in general.

So just finished the first episode. It's Korean and quite an interesting plot. Where close to 500 people in debt agree to go play a game where winner takes millions in prize money. If you fail the games you die.
It's called the Great Reset --Korean Style

1/500 wouldn’t attract anybody

I haven't read anyone's posts, as I'm only on ep 3, and don't want anything spoiled, but so far I love it

1st ep was a great set up. Main protag is a very likeable but down on his luck kind of guy. Yeah, he's made some bad calls, but he clearly loves daughter, and is kind/generous when he's doing well.

I had heard about the killing in a failed game, so I didn't go completely into this cold, but that red light green light thing was done really well. I like all the characters they are focusing on, especially the old guy and the cute pickpocket, but I hope the crew behind the game, especially the guy in the cool mask, has some motive that ties everything together.

One early criticism is bringing anyone back. That is too easily exploitable

This is good shit so far!

Interesting. Care to expound on that? Do you find the dialog closer to the original in text rather than dub?

I grew up watching old bad Kung fu movies where the dub was like 2 seconds off, so I'm generally impressed with how well they're able to do it now (the studio tech has come sooooo far, so to be fair to the old school guys, it's much easier today).
I only prefer dubs for anime. They've improved so much over the years, and I've become familiar with so many voice actors.

I liked the old kung fu dubs, but If I want to get invested in a story that's supposed to be great/good, like Dark and Heist, and the mouth sync is off, with bad voice acting, it pulls me out.

That hot Spanish chick in Heist needs to be heard in her native tongue, she's so sexy. The guy with a drug addiction is money too, english voice over does him little justice.

Anyway, I just finished this show. I loved it, outside the ending. It kept me hooked until the last episode which dragged on in the end, with an unsatisfactory conclusion to me. Still worth it though. That marble and bridge game were great.

Yakuza dude had it coming lol

Got two questions for anyone who finished
Why the hell was the brother living at a "cyber dormitory" and behind on rent if he's both a former winner and Front Man? Even if he wanted to stay under the radar by maintaining residence there surely paying at least a little in advance and making up an excuse to his mom for his absence would attract less scrutiny.

Also how does the ending of the sixth game not violate the clauses "a player is not allowed to stop playing" and "A player who refuses to play will be eliminated," can the third clause be invoked at any time? Even if so 50/50 isn't a majority, other dude didn't need to kill himself just vote no and go back to the game til he won

Last edited:
Why the hell was the brother living at a "cyber dormitory" and behind on rent if he's both a former winner and Front Man? Even if he wanted to stay under the radar by maintaining residence there surely paying at least a little in advance and making up an excuse to his mom for his absence would attract less scrutiny.

Also how does the ending of the sixth game not violate the clauses "a player is not allowed to stop playing" and "A player who refuses to play will be eliminated," can the third clause be invoked at any time? Even if so 50/50 isn't a majority, other dude didn't need to kill himself just vote no and go back to the game til he won
I could be wrong but I think the apartment was just a front and it just was presented the way it was to throw us off. I doubt there's anything more to it.

Player 456 didn't refuse to play necessarily, he was just putting it to a vote like you said. The other guy stabbed himself because he couldn't live with himself and he wanted his mom taken care of. It was turning his character around from someone who sacrificed people who trusted him for his benefit, to someone sacrificing themself for the benefit of the people they trust. He could have said no but it would have meant the protagonist would be responsible for his death and you lose that meaning in his character arch.

I thought that scene of the cop visiting his brother's accommodation was a flashback scene from like 5 years ago? Because at the police station he saw the squid game card and instantly recognized it.

I could be wrong but I think the apartment was just a front and it just was presented the way it was to throw us off. I doubt there's anything more to it.

Player 456 didn't refuse to play necessarily, he was just putting it to a vote like you said. The other guy stabbed himself because he couldn't live with himself and he wanted his mom taken care of. It was turning his character around from someone who sacrificed people who trusted him for his benefit, to someone sacrificing themself for the benefit of the people they trust. He could have said no but it would have meant the protagonist would be responsible for his death and you lose that meaning in his character arch.
I mean that's where his brother thought he lived and the land lady said she hadn't seen him in about a week, suggesting he was at least there occasionally

I guess my question was a more general one about the vote that maybe I missed, but being allowed to call for one mid-game certaintly seems to go against the spirit of the rule. Could a losing tug of war team invoke it right before they go over? Like the team the main characters played against when they lost their footing.

I took it as the other guy not wanting to leave empty handed again more than shame, but fair enough. Ii just mean in terms of in world logic

I thought that scene of the cop visiting his brother's accommodation was a flashback scene from like 5 years ago? Because at the police station he saw the squid game card and instantly recognized it.
I don't think so, I just checked and he's in the same clothes to check out the apartment as when he sees the card. Then when he talks to the front desk guys he says "when I saw that guy yesterday..." Suggesting he didn't just have a flashback, in which case he could have just followed him out to ask, but found the card later that day then came back the next to ask those guys.
It would make more sense your way, but it doesn't quite line up right

I'll wait for the Japanese remake.

I mean that's where his brother thought he lived and the land lady said she hadn't seen him in about a week, suggesting he was at least there occasionally

I guess my question was a more general one about the vote that maybe I missed, but being allowed to call for one mid-game certaintly seems to go against the spirit of the rule. Could a losing tug of war team invoke it right before they go over? Like the team the main characters played against when they lost their footing.

I took it as the other guy not wanting to leave empty handed again more than shame, but fair enough. Ii just mean in terms of in world logic
I think you'd be right about the mid-game vote in most circumstances, but when there's two players left and the one calling for the vote has all the power and is about to win, there's some room to wait for an answer. If there were even just three players, it probably wouldn't have been given much of a chance.

Back