AQUAMAN Movie ($67.4 Million U.S. Opening Weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yieahh! Awright! Mah Man!

Now Imagine a gif of a pull-string doll beneath that quote, and you have the Aquaman character in DCU summed up.

Unless this movie focuses on awesome visuals (quite possible if they take advantage of the aquatic enviroment) it will suck. They went wrong with turning Aquaman into a biker, and giving him zero depth, and then casting Momoa who is just boring and proven incapable of carrying a lead role.

No news of massive reshoots will be good. But not sure I like the idea of another hero who is reluctant to be one.

Update: December 7, 2017

First Official Image of Jason Momoa as Aquaman in James Wan's AQUAMAN

EW’s exclusive first image from the stand-alone Aquaman movie shows Arthur Curry looking somehow even more jacked and more tatted and more menacing than he did before as he strides out of the steam amid some industrial setting:

What’s also interesting is how even this still photo has a rather different feel than images from Justice League, which introduced Aquaman to audiences last month. Director James Wan (Furious 7, The Conjuring) says you can expect many more differences to come. “It’s going to look very different, it will feel very different — aesthetically, tonally, story-wise — it’s my own take,” Wan tells EW. “It’s a much more a traditional action-adventure quest movie.”

Momoa reveals we can expect to see a tale that spans details Curry’s difficult childhood as a half-human, half-Atlantean to eventually becoming king.

Justice League was only a weekend in Arthur Curry’s life,” Momoa says. “This is a totally different beast. In Aquaman, you see when his parents met and what happened to hem. Then the little boy being raised and finding his powers and going through that and never being accepted on either side. And then becoming this man who puts up all these walls. You just slowly see this man harden up and be completely reluctant wanting to be king and not knowing what to do with these powers he has. I think James Wan just killed it.”

When Wan first met with Warner Bros. to discuss taking on a superhero film, they famously gave him two options: One was a very popular character (The Flash) and the other was considered so impossible to pull off that the prospect of a movie had been a running joke on Entourage. Naturally, the veteran horror director picked the project that would terrify anybody else.

“Aquaman has been the joke of the comic book world, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought how cool that would be,” Wan explains. “Let’s take the character everybody makes fun of and do something really interesting with him.”

Aquaman first look reveals an ultra-jacked Jason Momoa - Exclusive

As far as damage control tactics go, this obvious one would be the same one i would go for. "Completely different", "My take", etc. That said, too much information and clips on the Justice league movie appeared not too long after BvS was released, and here we are, with the same exact thing.

Of course i'll watch it. But i'm not happy with myself.

Which animated show relentlessly ripped on aquaman? How is this a movie? Can't wait for this comic book thing to run its course

Can't wait for this comic book thing to run its course

I keep hearing that from people and it seems to me akin to saying "I can't wait for this romcom thing to run its course".

We're too deep at this point, Its popularity might diminish a little but it's never going to die.

I keep hearing that from people and it seems to me akin to saying "I can't wait for this romcom thing to run its course".

We're too deep at this point, Its popularity might diminish a little but it's never going to die.

Well I would think the difference is that this genre is based on a finite source material.

I'm already impressed at how deep they're reaching for characters.

Was it robot chicken? I think that might have been it

Update: December 7, 2017

First Official Image of Jason Momoa as Aquaman in James Wan's AQUAMAN

EW’s exclusive first image from the stand-alone Aquaman movie shows Arthur Curry looking somehow even more jacked and more tatted and more menacing than he did before as he strides out of the steam amid some industrial setting:

What’s also interesting is how even this still photo has a rather different feel than images from Justice League, which introduced Aquaman to audiences last month. Director James Wan (Furious 7, The Conjuring) says you can expect many more differences to come. “It’s going to look very different, it will feel very different — aesthetically, tonally, story-wise — it’s my own take,” Wan tells EW. “It’s a much more a traditional action-adventure quest movie.”

Momoa reveals we can expect to see a tale that spans details Curry’s difficult childhood as a half-human, half-Atlantean to eventually becoming king.

Justice League was only a weekend in Arthur Curry’s life,” Momoa says. “This is a totally different beast. In Aquaman, you see when his parents met and what happened to hem. Then the little boy being raised and finding his powers and going through that and never being accepted on either side. And then becoming this man who puts up all these walls. You just slowly see this man harden up and be completely reluctant wanting to be king and not knowing what to do with these powers he has. I think James Wan just killed it.”

When Wan first met with Warner Bros. to discuss taking on a superhero film, they famously gave him two options: One was a very popular character (The Flash) and the other was considered so impossible to pull off that the prospect of a movie had been a running joke on Entourage. Naturally, the veteran horror director picked the project that would terrify anybody else.

“Aquaman has been the joke of the comic book world, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought how cool that would be,” Wan explains. “Let’s take the character everybody makes fun of and do something really interesting with him.”

Aquaman first look reveals an ultra-jacked Jason Momoa - Exclusive

Legit no homo man crush.

If the movies good it’ll make $$$ = see WW

If it’s bad it’ll bomb big time.

tbh he shudve been lobo instead

Update: February 20, 2018

Dolph Lundgren Reveals Major Change to Mera and Nereus Relationship in AQUAMAN

Justice League hinted at Jason Momoa’s Atlantean heritage as Aquaman, but it also put Arthur Curry on a collision course with Amber Heard’s Mera, the woman destined to be the love of his life. With James Wan’s Aquaman set to dive deeper into their dynamic, fans now have a twist on their hands in Mera’s ties to King Nereus (Dolph Lundgren), whose relationship with her has been changed drastically from the comics.

Instead of being the man Mera was once supposed to marry, the DC Extended Universe’s Nereus will be her father. In the books, Geoff Johns had her betrothed to Nereus before she was sent from the underwater rebel dimension of Xebel to spy on Atlantis. There, she fell in love with Aquaman, which then sparked a war between the two underwater factions, as Nereus was jealous about losing his potential queen. Now, it seems it’s more of a family affair.

“It is good to be king. Basically, I try to keep the peace down there along with Amber Heard, who plays my daughter,” Lundgren said with regards to his character in an interview with the Las Vegas Review Journal. “She’s trying to convince me to join the right side. Then you have Nicole Kidman as Aquaman’s mother. We’re trying to avoid war between the surface [dwellers] and the people of Atlantis.”

This hints that Xebel may actually be allies with Atlantis and that Wan will be axing the aquatic love triangle. Some fans are even speculating Nereus won’t want her in love with Arthur, as this could put his daughter in the line of fire. This may well inspire the conflict between both kingdoms that has been teased in the past, and possibly a Romeo and Juliet-esque love story under the Seven Seas as Arthur prepares himself for his birthright and enemies like Black Manta.

Aquaman: Dolph Lundgren Reveals Major Change to Mera and Nereus Relationship

Update: February 24, 2018

Test Screening Reactions for AQUAMAN Described It as an "Emotional Action Movie"

Aquaman test screening was held at Warner Bros. the other day, and thanks to Batman News we have a much better idea of what to expect from The King of Atlantis' first solo adventure.

Aquaman is described as an "emotional action movie" with a similar tone to Wonder Woman. Apparently, it's a drama first and foremost but there is also lot of humor - and, this being a James Wan film, some horror elements as well.

Several different reports have also mentioned a Star Wars-like vibe, particularly in relation to to the battle sequences.

Here are some more details, some of which might be considered mild SPOILERS:

- There's an amazing villain in Orm, played by Patrick Wilson

- Amber Heard’s Mera is very much a co-lead and not just a love interest

- Characters just talk normally underwater.

- No giant air bubbles like we saw in Justice League.

- The rumors were true, Jason Momoa wears the comic book Aquaman costume in the movie.

- Black Manta is a secondary villain. He looks just like he does in the comics and has the same origin as well.

- Superhero News scoop confirmed, The Trench is in the movie.

- Yes, Aquaman can talk to fish, and he does in the movie.

In the latest edition of Popcorn Talk's Meet the Movie Press, The Tracking Board editor and The Wrap's Umberto Gonzalez weigh in on early Aquaman test screenings and it sounds like they've also heard a lot of good things about the DC Comics adaptation. "I heard it was great, man," Gonzalez claims, pointing to it being a turning point for DC: "Someone else told me it was a palette cleanser for them, for DC, what's happened with the Zack Snyder films. So high hopes for that one and Shazam."

"I heard that it plays like an Indiana Jones movie and that the action puts Wonder Woman and Justice League to shame. That is what I heard," Sneider adds before going on to praise James Wan and pointing out that the underwater scenes could be why people seem to love the unique action scenes.

Aquaman Described As An "Emotional Action Movie" With Similar Tone To Wonder Woman Following Test Screening

Test Screening Reactions Point To Aquaman Putting Justice League And Wonder Woman To Shame

All these anonymous quotes are studio bs of course, however it is good to hear that they have a presentable cut of the movie 10 months before the release.
Now they have plenty of time to tweak and edit this to a nice and sharp final cut.
Hope it's great.

Someone bring me a table so I can flip it. Momoa should be Lobo, he is the best possible choice. He pulls of menacing obscenely well, and would be perfect for it.

The only possible choice for Aquaman is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, better known as Jaime Lannister.

I have a feeling I can't see this movie at this point. Jebus.
I totally agree with Lobo

All these anonymous quotes are studio bs of course, however it is good to hear that they have a presentable cut of the movie 10 months before the release.
Now they have plenty of time to tweak and edit this to a nice and sharp final cut.
Hope it's great.
A DC movie that isn't being rushed out at the last second?! I didn't know that movies could be made like that.

Lets hope this is not the Conan remake underwater.

Aquaman better bring it. His movie is at the end of the year, which works against him actually cause a lot of folks are gonna be superhero movie fatigued by that point.

Let's just assume Marvel keeps going up this year with Infinity War and Deadpool...Aquaman is going to have to be darn near flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back