Are you a good sleeper?

I'm off today and still up before 5am... and took Ambien last night :(

Normally sleep 4-5 has a day if hypomanic don't sleep at all for a few days. No drugs required

Yep, no complaints.

travis-dog.gif

Terrible sleeper, I've made countless threads about it. Apart from sleep walking as a child I was fine, insomnia's screwed me up in adult life though.

I've learned to improved my sleep as I become more health conscious. These are the things that I notice that improve the quality of my sleep.

1. Try my best to go to bed and wake up around the same time.
2. Perform the same pre-sleep ritual. (For me, it's brush my teeth, and sit on the sofa and play my phone on dim light for 10 minutes)
3. Cut back on alcohol, I use to think it helps my sleep but I notice if I drink more than half a bottle of wine, my sleep quality actually suffers.
4. Exercise regularly
5. Lowering stress
6. Avoid eating large meals for dinner, and don't eat anything close to bed time.

Always slept like a rock my whole life. 7-9 hours a night. Sometimes 10. I was a somnambulist as a kid until I was 14 but that doesn't really interrupt your sleep. I will say I only use my bed for sleep. I don't read or watch tv in bed. I only go in my bedroom to either change clothes or sleep. I try and keep it as cool as possible. I won't consume caffeine after about 6 PM and usually turn in between nine and ten. I will say certain kinds of alcohol affect my sleep. Scotch and whiskeys in particular. If I drink vodka or beer there are no problems.

Major problems over the last year and a half.. it’s finally improving but I had some really rough moments with it. Anxiety seems to be the issue for me.

I guess that is how my brother in law sleeps. He will sleep for an hour and then spend the rest of the night working on the computer, doing chores. My parents have joked that when my sister and brother in law come to visit, when they get up in the night there is my brother in law wide awake waiting to greet them. When ever we have family Zoom chats my brother in law looks like he is ready for a nap.

I do a couple of things to help me sleep well at night, from taking time release melatonin, to taking a beet supplement, magnesium spray before going to bed, and some other more new age idea that I'll forget to mention.

Major problems over the last year and a half.. it’s finally improving but I had some really rough moments with it. Anxiety seems to be the issue for me.
No need to get into your situation but moving house helped me. I was scared of the light going off knowing I was likely going to be awake for hours trying to force myself to sleep and relenting to a living room I didn't really like. Now I have the same bed in a differnt house so I don't have the same fear of laying awake somewhere I don't like.

My wife is jealous at my sleep. I hit the pillow and am out 2 minutes later. I sleep 7 hours every night. I wake up exactly at 7 hours so if I fall alseep early, I am up early. I work out every day so by night I am tired. I have not had caffeine in 10 years and I eat healthy for the most part. The only issue I sometimes get is restless foot syndrome. I have to keep bending my foot and the ankle up and down. That will hurt me falling asleep but it is only once in a while.

No need to get into your situation but moving house helped me. I was scared of the light going off knowing I was likely going to be awake for hours trying to force myself to sleep and relenting to a living room I didn't really like. Now I have the same bed in a differnt house so I don't have the same fear of laying awake somewhere I don't like.

Ha.. looked into moving this year (again).. we found a builder we like and we’re looking to have a new home custom built but we’ve put it on hold for now because the market is proper fucked and interest rates have gone tits up. We’ll revisit most likely after the election cycle with hopes that everything cools down by then. It’s frustrating tho.

Still, our current set up is nice and one thing I’ll have trouble getting past is leaving our neighborhood behind.. you’ll be hard pressed to find a better neighborhood than the one we’re currently in. It’s gorgeous

Ha.. looked into moving this year (again).. we found a builder we like and we’re looking to have a new home custom built but we’ve put it on hold for now because the market is proper fucked and interest rates have gone tits up. We’ll revisit most likely after the election cycle with hopes that everything cools down by then. It’s frustrating tho.

Still, our current set up is nice and one thing I’ll have trouble getting past is leaving our neighborhood behind.. you’ll be hard pressed to find a better neighborhood than the one we’re currently in. It’s gorgeous
Building will be a nicer type of insomnia at least being the light at the end of the tunnel and what you actually want rather than stuck in a rut.

You make concessions, friend. i'm the worst to talk to about that being I move a lot but you do adapt.

Exciting thing to look forward to and have on the back burner though, right?

The only thing that gets me out of bed is work. If I'm off, I'll sleep like 12 hours and do fuck all with my day.

Yeah 7-9 Hours every day year round

Not really but last night I dreamed of an old high school crush and baggie of cocaine that was missing and I spent more time looking for the cocaine than staring at her with her titties out. I woke up angry as hell.

Next time...

ocd-robocops-coke-whores-20080506021218010-000.jpg

I think that there is no rules for it some people need 4 and some need 8 hours

It takes me forever to fall asleep but once I do it takes a lot to wake me up. I could probably sleep through a nuclear war.

My sleep has changed a lot since I have got older.

Sometimes I sleep all night but I have many nights when I have broken sleep.

I was woken up at 4 A.M. by guns shot (I live in Portland) about a dozen of them. It's kind of rare in my hood but not at all uncommon in Portland.

But your sleep patterns do change as you get older.

Good luck!

I generally fall asleep within two minutes of my head hitting the pillow and sleep until my alarm goes.

I usually sleep 5-6 hours a night, maybe once a week I will get 7 hours, once a month I'll get 8.

My wife has sleep apnea and she doesn't have the machine to help with it, so pretty much most nights I get woken up by her at 3am and have a hell of a hard time falling asleep again.

It's pretty much a routine now, and I do pretty good on 5-6 hours. If I get more than 7, I generally feel pretty lethargic for the whole day.

It's messed up but it is what it is.

Back