• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are you expected to leave a tip, even if gratuity is included?

They like it just as much as everyone else, if not moreso because it gives them the opportunity to reduce their own costs at the expense of others without any repercussions.

How the fvk are you paying for me? Noone is forcing you to tip its all voluntary remember? I never put a gun to your head and told you to tip for me or in my place. Its not my fault if youre gullible enough or stupid enough to fall in line with the rest of the herd with your sheeple mentality. There is no law that says you have to tip you just do it because youre falling the other lemmings/sheeple.

"OMGZ my friend just left a 30% gratuity even thought he waiter spit in his food, guess I better do it too." :icon_surp:icon_surp:icon_lol:

The lie is that they think the system is corrupt: that's actually the rationalization, not the reason. I certainly don't believe that's the real reason (what's corrupt about the system anyway?). It's all about selfishly saving a few bucks, nothing else.

If the system wasnt corrupt as you claim, the owner would pay his servers MW and let them keep any tips on top of that, instead of paying them 2$/hr. or whatever slave wage and then telling them to get tips off customers to mkae up the difference. Pretty cut and dry when you think about it.

What have you ever done to change the system?

Umm, not patronized restaurants with a heavy tipping policy? Or just not eaten out at all?

Hm? Silently not tip? What do you think that's accomplishing other than ruining a waiter's night?

Umm who gives a fvk about the waiter? Do I go to a restaurant to get a good meal or to cater to the wait staff and the owners? Seriously. Im the customer if they want my business they can do their job if not I go elsewhere. Thats capitalism bro. I dont go to restaurants to suck up to the wait staff and owners like you do.

Have you ever had the guts to tell a waiter to their face that you're not tipping them because you believe the tipping system is corrupt?

Yes, I have because Im not a puzzy sheeple like you.

However, even if I would prefer that, I'm not going to try and change the system in the least effective way possible by punishing someone who can't make a difference.

They are already being punished by their owners for not paying them, and themselves for not finding a better job, you know its the whole personal responsibility thing?

Its not my job to give charity to everyone who fvks up in life whether through not paying their employees or picking the wrong job. They should accept some responsibility for their choices.

The lie: Im doing the noble, right thing

The truth: I'm really just subsidizing business owners because Im a sheeple who cant think for myself.

Fixed.

/haven't read thread, just chiming in on tipping

i hate tipping.

i'm canadian, and tipping culture is at least as bad in canada as in the states. maybe worse. i dine out for every meal and have left more cash in tips than i care to remember.

tipping is sane in much of the rest of the world. i.e., not expected and usually only done if there's exceptional service or something.

dining in new zealand, for example, is better than anywhere else i've been. servers are more genuine. dining is more casual, and less artificial. the food is better. all without a whole lot of tipping.

fuck tipping. i still do it in canada/the states/some other places, obviously, but i sure don't enjoy it. i think if it's going to be done, it should just be included on the bill (and i sure wouldn't doubly-tip).

Even if their were no tips and the owner increased prices 15-20% they would go into his pocket, they wouldnt go to the servers.

Bottom line: the owner is a tight-arse who is squeezing everything he can out of the customer and his employees. Whether its through tipping or increased prices.

But if I had to choose between the BS that goes through tipping or just increased food prices I woudl choose the latter.

You havent been reading my posts very well. I already said I have no problem giving ZERO tips or ZERO fvks about the whole thing then whiny bishes like you started complaining about how Im cheap and you have to subsidize me even though its supposedly voluntary.

i guess you just really don't understand how tipping and subsidizing the staffs pay works. some of the price increase would go to his pocket (hey if your going to raise prices, rather as well as do it for more than just enough to cover your losses). the owners money doesn't change in this scenario. it might increase, but it certainly doesn't decrease (no successful business is willing to just eat raised costs).

and that is fine if you have no problem with giving 0 tips. just realize that when you do that in america, you are being nothing but a cheap ass and essentially other people are footing your share of the bill, whether it be the server, the owner, or other customers. as osudude said, not tipping isn't a protest, in fact its the silliest way to go about things assuming you have knowledge of the system.

you are a pretty pathetic poster though, so keep the lulz coming!

no. gratuity is the tip, and it's up to the server to impose it.

i always viewed adding gratuity as a sign of distrust. even when me and my friends were teens we were very generous tippers, but from time to time they'd throw gratuity on us. understandable. 14-16 year olds can be shitheads.

/haven't read thread, just chiming in on tipping

i hate tipping.

i'm canadian, and tipping culture is at least as bad in canada as in the states. maybe worse. i dine out for every meal and have left more cash in tips than i care to remember.

tipping is sane in much of the rest of the world. i.e., not expected and usually only done if there's exceptional service or something.

dining in new zealand, for example, is better than anywhere else i've been. servers are more genuine. dining is more casual, and less artificial. the food is better. all without a whole lot of tipping.

fuck tipping. i still do it in canada/the states/some other places, obviously, but i sure don't enjoy it. i think if it's going to be done, it should just be included on the bill (and i sure wouldn't doubly-tip).

so you'd rather be fooled into tipping? shit don't make sense, son!

so you'd rather be fooled into tipping? shit don't make sense, son!

what i'm saying is that it's a strange, arbitrary, and somewhat awkward ritual that demonstrably doesn't improve the customer's experience. it's similar to why i'd rather buy my stuff at places where employees don't get commission for sales, i suppose.

if gratuity is expected, i'd rather just have it tacked on the bill. it feels less weird that way.

Last edited:
i guess you just really don't understand how tipping and subsidizing the staffs pay works. some of the price increase would go to his pocket (hey if your going to raise prices, rather as well as do it for more than just enough to cover your losses). the owners money doesn't change in this scenario. it might increase, but it certainly doesn't decrease (no successful business is willing to just eat raised costs).

Thats exactly what I just said. He will squeeze it out of the customer or his employees. My point is if you want me to eat at your establishment dont pass them on to me.

and that is fine if you have no problem with giving 0 tips. just realize that when you do that in america, you are being nothing but a cheap ass and essentially other people are footing your share of the bill, whether it be the server, the owner, or other customers. as osudude said, not tipping isn't a protest, in fact its the silliest way to go about things assuming you have knowledge of the system.

Well you cant have it both ways. Is it voluntary or mandatory? Because you guys have been saying both. You cant claim a system is voluntary, then criticize me for exercising my voluntary right to chose to not tip.

Seems to me you havent thought this through very well.

you are a pretty pathetic poster though, so keep the lulz coming!

Yep Im pathetic because I dont agree with you right?

good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png

what i'm saying is that it's a strange, arbitrary, and somewhat awkward ritual that demonstrably doesn't improve the customer's experience. it's similar to why i'd rather buy my stuff at places where employees don't get commission for sales, i suppose.

if gratuity is expected, i'd rather just have it tacked on the bill. it feels less weird that way.

Exactly. If I choose to go out to eat Im the customer, you are supposed to serve me. I want to have a decent meal and then pay the bill. I dont givafvk how the owner decides to divvy up the price between himself and his servers. He can handle that himself. I mean, hes supposed to be the owner, right?

After a decent meal I dont feel like downloading a calculator app to my phone and then doing post-meal accounting to figure out how much Im supposed to pay the drink jockeys after Ive already paid for an over-priced meal. I dont care if its easy or doesnt take a lot of time. Im out to enjoy myself and dont want to work. If some posters here truly enjoy doing this, then more power to them. I dont and wont patronize a restaurant where the owner relies heavily on tips for his servers. If I was going to tip anyone, it would be the chef, not the fvking drink jockeys, who scribble down orders and carry plates for a pay check.

I understand a lot of business owners belive themselves to be above both their employees and their customers, and think that tips are an ingenious way for them to squeeze more dollars out of their employees paychecks, but I dont frequent places like that who will give me zhit for not subsidizing their employees. If they want a tip they can just add an extra 15% to the price of the meal Im fine with that. Or, I just wont tip or I wont go there. Sorry aint gettin no tips outta me :icon_chee

Thats exactly what I just said. He will squeeze it out of the customer or his employees. My point is if you want me to eat at your establishment dont pass them on to me.

Well you cant have it both ways. Is it voluntary or mandatory? Because you guys have been saying both. You cant claim a system is voluntary, then criticize me for exercising my voluntary right to chose to not tip.

Seems to me you havent thought this through very well.

yeah and if tipping were to not be standard, every employer would be passing on the costs to you, so i guess you would just be staying home then. neat.

its voluntary. just like giving people gifts on christmas who give you gifts (or on each's birthday). but if you just take and don't give, you are damn well worthy of criticism, even in a voluntary system. seems to me that you think just because someone doesn't do something that is voluntary means they are absolved of any criticism. in which case, i think you are confusing what voluntary actually means. it means you have the choice to do what you want, and like any choice, we all have the right to criticize it and rightly so.

why am i bothering with an extremely far left troll poster who is usually just best served as jack's lap dog/parrot?? lol

I understand a lot of business owners belive themselves to be above both their employees and their customers, and think that tips are an ingenious way for them to squeeze more dollars out of their employees paychecks, but I dont frequent places like that who will give me zhit for not subsidizing their employees. If they want a tip they can just add an extra 15% to the price of the meal Im fine with that. Or, I just wont tip or I wont go there. Sorry aint gettin no tips outta me :icon_chee

If you realize you're gonna pay that money one way or the other what's the problem? If everyone simply adds it to the bill, how is that all that different? If you're eating out you're paying for the service regardless of where you eat. You're not dodging anything by going somewhere where there is no tipping. It's actually forced on you at those places.

If anything tipping gives you some control over that last portion of the price. In a restaurant that doesn't tip, you are forced to pay a larger amount regardless of the service. At least with tipping, you can make that decision. You can pay more or less or nothing at all. If you're a bad tipper you come out paying less. So, again, what's the problem? Being stubborn and not getting basic concepts doesn't mean you are principled or above the "sheeple."

If you realize you're gonna pay that money one way or the other what's the problem? If everyone simply adds it to the bill, how is that all that different? If you're eating out you're paying for the service regardless of where you eat. You're not dodging anything by going somewhere where there is no tipping. It's actually forced on you at those places.

I thought I explained that well. I just dont want to do the work. Just let me eat then bill me and fvk the calculator and accounting. If the food prices increase dramatically then perhaps I wont go there again.

If anything tipping gives you some control over that last portion of the price. In a restaurant that doesn't tip, you are forced to pay a larger amount regardless of the service. At least with tipping, you can make that decision. You can pay more or less or nothing at all. If you're a bad tipper you come out paying less. So, again, what's the problem? Being stubborn and not getting basic concepts doesn't mean you are principled or above the "sheeple."

I understand the concepts just fine. As I said, I choose not to tip first and foremost, but if I had to choose between being forced to tip or just paying more I would pay more.

What is interesting to me though is that everyone is extolling the virtues of this 'voluntary' system yet when someone chooses to exercise the right of choice to not tip all of a sudden they are called a 'cheap bitch' because apparently this voluntary system isn't really voluntary.

Lol, so now we know that you're a liar. That's all I need to know. Good day.

So someone is a liar because they have the balls to do what you cant?

Ok. Good day sheeple.

So someone is a liar because they have the balls to do what you cant?

Ok. Good day sheeple.

Someone's a liar because they said they did something they didn't actually do.

I am a monster tipper. I way over tip almost every time. But if I am forced to tip a certain number then that's what you get.

I thought I explained that well. I just dont want to do the work. Just let me eat then bill me and fvk the calculator and accounting. If the food prices increase dramatically then perhaps I wont go there again..

Do the work? Just throw a few bucks down. You don't actually have to go by the percentage. And what does you not wanting to be bothered to tip have to do with others being "sheeple?" If you realize that the system more than likely keeps price down, why are people "sheeple" to along with it? Why are you making it to be this principled thing when it's you just not wanting to? I mean, if you don't like to tip I don't care. I'm not even gonna call you cheap, but don't act above people because you don't tip.

Do the work? Just throw a few bucks down.

No I choose not to. This is called voluntary and freedom.

And what does you not wanting to be bothered to tip have to do with others being "sheeple?" If you realize that the system more than likely keeps price down, why are people "sheeple" to along with it?

How does it keep the price down? People are shamed by society into paying anyway so I fail to see how that keeps price down. And as you noted if there were no tips the prices would be higher.

Why are you making it to be this principled thing when it's you just not wanting to? I mean, if you don't like to tip I don't care. I'm not even gonna call you cheap, but don't act above people because you don't tip.

Im not. As I said if other enjoy it more power to them. I was resposnding to the other who were talking about the beauty of their voluntary system then calling everyone who exercised their voluntary choice 'cheap-arses'

Someone's a liar because they said they did something they didn't actually do.

No brah I have actually told servers that.

Thast right outside of your world there are actual people who have conviction/balls unlike yourself.

I thought I explained that well. I just dont want to do the work. Just let me eat then bill me and fvk the calculator and accounting. If the food prices increase dramatically then perhaps I wont go there again.

I understand the concepts just fine. As I said, I choose not to tip first and foremost, but if I had to choose between being forced to tip or just paying more I would pay more.

What is interesting to me though is that everyone is extolling the virtues of this 'voluntary' system yet when someone chooses to exercise the right of choice to not tip all of a sudden they are called a 'cheap bitch' because apparently this voluntary system isn't really voluntary.

I agree with you in that I hate tipping and would just prefer the business owner pay their employees a decent wage, even though that would mean a price increase on the food and/or drink.

I do tip though because I know that the person waiting on me relies on my tip for the majority of their income. My pay in college was $2.13/hour + tips... and it really sucked. Getting stiffed would really get me down... just like getting an extra nice tip would make me feel really good. I feel for people who have to work for tips, and provided they did me right, I want to make their day a little better by giving them a nice tip.

Back